Author Topic: is he hungry or just bored?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
is he hungry or just bored?
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:47 am »
My little one is just 5 months and a biggish boy (just over 7kg).. He's exclusively breastfed and has 5 -6 feeds a day and sleeps through the night most nights with a dream feed. I've been keen to wait until 6 months to start solids as I feel there's no rush and he hasn't appeared overly interested until recently. His sleeping has been pretty good (although he's started cutting his morning nap time down again and is already on a 2.5 hour uptime...)

This week he's most days been GRIZZLY - he;s usually a VERY happy baby and this week has been one of those- not happy on the floor, in the bouncer, in the swing, with mummy...etc.

Could he be ready for more in the form of solids? If its more likely that his brain is ready to explore but his body hasn't caught up then i'm happy to wait. But as the nurse said solids were right from 4-6 months and most of his peers have started am i just being stubborn?

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:00 am »
I wouldn't say its a sign he's looking for solids.  Is his milk intake still the same and still sleeping well at night?

I started at 5.5 months with DD1 as she was sitting independently and no tongue thrust etc but DD2 was no where near ready then and i waited until after 6 months with her. 

Has he any of the other signs of being ready for solids? 

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
Re: is he hungry or just bored?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:57 am »
milk seems the same (although he's BF so hard to measure ...) and is still sleeping through no probs... Not sitting quite independently yet (can for up to about 30 seconds).. and only just starting to really watch what i'm eating... I might just try getting out and about a bit more..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:29 am »
This is a time where they become really alert so yes, lots of change of scenery and lots of activities can really help with the grizzling.  I found once mine could sit up independently they were much happier!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:56 pm »
Maybe he's on the cusp of something big like sitting up ...a big change on the way and he knows and is a bit impatient.  I sometimes got that feeling with my LO.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 23:37:52 pm »
Yeah- I took him out this morning and not a grizzle- AND was happier to stay up MUCH longer! I think i had some busy weeks where we were out a lot and he got a bit over stimulated nd was visibly happier at home- but now i think he loves a bit of a car trip and pram time! On the upside too- it keeps my new high chair looking lovely and unspoiled by food for a few more weeks!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:39 am »
Blimey!  I'd say you have a fantastic baby!  Mine was a terrible sleeper (also BF) and didn't sleep through till about 9 months after PUPD.

To be honest, although I started at 19 weeks on HV advice and desperation (my son BF every 2 hours or more often during the day and woke 4-6 times a night for feeds), I would suggest you wait.  For one thing, feeding is a hassle.  You either have to have something suitable with you if you go out or be back at home at mealtimes.  If you can keep off till 6 months it also means that you can give more 'normal' foods.  If you want to try it's up to you but also be aware that solids can disrupt routine and sleep in some babies.

Can we swap?  You can have my irritable 17 month old who's still not a great sleeper!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:56:26 pm »
Tee hee, just wait, that chair won't know what hit it.  In a word, EVERYTHING!

I completely agree with Lemon, though, if you hold off then you can go straight for normalish stuff with a baby that can sit up and participate a bit.  More fun all round.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 22:26:03 pm »
Sounds a bit like my LO, he loves to go out and about but then misses home and when we come back it's like he is reunited with his 'long lost' toys and books, but when we have a home day he grizzles around the place like he's been locked in for months on end!  We're out 5 or 6 days per week.

My DS went from unable to sit for more than about 5 seconds without wobbling over to sitting unaided (with just the odd fall) at 5.5 months, it happened almost over night, amazing how those developments appear to just suddenly happen.
You should use the next couple of weeks to read up recipes and even get a few things in the freezer in readiness.  I was shocked by how much time solids took up and the first few weeks had me run ragged with cooking.  Each meal took around 45 mins too which really cuts into play time.  I found DS was exhausted by the end of a meal and had to go straight to a nap (lots of learning and stimulation of flavours and textures I suppose, plus the meal only just fitted in his A time), also had some disturbed nights with solids intro like Lemonthyme said.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 08:22:08 am »
That's what he's like! It's as if he breathes a sigh of relief when we get home- but some mornings we've been up for an hour and he's over it!! Yeah- that's all really good advice- sounds pretty typical- Hes been much happier in the highchair and is getting better at sitting in it (i've got one with not heaps of support.. nasty mummy...)- some of my friends started solids before 4 months- so by 6 months had already been dealing with the mess and fuss for over 2 months!! Thanks again for the reassurance!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!