Author Topic: Mixture of BLW and spoon feeding - thoughts?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Mixture of BLW and spoon feeding - thoughts?
« on: November 01, 2011, 20:23:39 pm »
Hi,
Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this . . .

I've been very keen on the idea of BLW since my LO's were born as I had awful food issues myself as a kid.  I read Gill Rapley's book and completely related to her theory of spoon feeding being a chore, that LO's didn't enjoy it and would shut their mouths/turn away etc.

BLW is the way for us, I thought.

Fast forward 6 months and my LO's are really struggling with teething and as a result not wanting their bottles.  Milk intake has dropped drastically (from 9oz a feed to 5oz) and there are many tears at feed times . . . infact it's just how I imagined spoon feeding would be . . . me stressing, them crying and all of us getting in a tizz!  They were also starting to EW.

So, I decided to try spoon feeding in the hope of getting something down them while they have sore gums.  Mixed baby rice with plenty of formula and added a little stewed apple that we had left over (quite lumpy to be honest) . . . AND THEY LOVED IT!!!

The solids haven't made them take any less formula, infact this afternoon they had 6oz each, 2hrs after having solids which is the most they've had in a week!

So after all that rambling, I was thinking that as they enjoy their spoon feeding so much I might keep it up. 

What do people think about spoon feeding at lunch time and then letting them share some of our dinner BLW style in the eve?

Will the spoon feeding affect how they tackle the finger foods? 

Will they get confused?  Obviously they're only just 6 months so are just playing with the food at the min.

Thoughts? . . .

Kath

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Mixture of BLW and spoon feeding - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 20:51:11 pm »
I did a mixture of both with both girls.  DD1 loved spoon feeding but had finger foods with all her meals before her spoon feed.  DD2 is not a bit fussed on spoon feeds and as a result mainly self feeds which is a bit of a pain when I want to give her porridge or something!!

Spoon feeding did not affect either of their abilities to tackle the finger foods!

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 20:53:16 pm »
I did pure BLW with my first because he refused anything on a spoon but with my second we did a mixture of both. I tend to find he likes to have a go at eating with his hands first and then when he's satisfied his curiosity then he will be willing to take stuff off a spoon.  I should probably add though  - in this house pretty much everything is finger food except yoghurt!! For every meal there is an element that can be eaten BLW style and an element that can be spoon fed.  For example beans on toast - beans could be spoon fed but could also be finger food (great for developing pincer grip) and the toast is obviously finger food.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 20:55:24 pm »
Beans as a finger food here....but oh the mess!!!!! 

I often think I should cut out the middleman and just dump Rosa's dinner on the floor as thats where most of it is ending up these days anyways!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 20:56:22 pm »
We did a mixture! Bothg my kids had puree/ mush and finger foods from the start. I found that there were plenty of times that I could smeak a few spoonfuls into them while they were trying to eat/ play with finger foods.

I had intended to do pure BLW with DD, but we had to start solids early because of her reflux so she had rice cereal. She showed us her interest in finger foods by grabbing a pizza crust off Daddy's plate just before she turned 6 months! Giving things like peas and sweetcorn is great for pincer control and keeps them entertained when you are eating out!

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do solids. If they are happy being spoon fed then that's great and if you give them plenty of finger foods they are getting the best of both worlds!

Laura

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 21:09:49 pm »
Don't even talk to me about the mess! DS2 usually gets stripped down to his nappy to eat - saves on laundry then I usually hose him off with the shower when he's finished! A friend of mine was horrified when I said spaghetti bolognese was finger food!

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 21:14:06 pm »
Brilliant, thanks guys.  We''ll carry on as we are then.  Cauliflower cheese tomorrow night so bring on the mess  :)

Kath

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 21:39:12 pm »
friend of mine was horrified when I said spaghetti bolognese was finger food!
Yup, here too. As is tomato soup with bread. And lasagne!!!

Have fun Kath!  Cauliflower cheese sounds yum!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 21:59:13 pm »
If you give purees on a spoon then you aren't following a BLW routine. However if you don't mind then go for whatever you are your LOs are happy with! Loads of finger foods and they will do great!

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:07:18 am »
What a great idea to do mixed, i had been debating which route to go down, i have started the puree feeding but really wante to do BLW, im glad to learn you can do both.

At the mo he has breakfast of fruit which he takes really well but hes not so keen on pureed vegies for tea so finger food sounds like the way to go with the evening meal, great as we are all sat down together.

Perfect!

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:57:26 am »
I did mixed too, dd always ate with us at mealtimes ( dh got home too late for her to wait for dinner so she would eat hers and also join us at the table when we ate) so I would always offer her finger foods at our maltimes and both at her mealtimes.

Lee Ann,