Author Topic: when did your lo drop the last bottle?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline babyrose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
when did your lo drop the last bottle?
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:55:26 am »
A is 17 months and not even interested in milk in the morning but loves his b/time bottle. When did you stop the last bottle?

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: when did your lo drop the last bottle?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:49:42 am »
Dd2 is 16.5mo and still has those soft teet cups, basically the same as a bottle. I was strict with dd2 coming off them but I just don't feel the urgency with dd2, it's a great sleep cue for her and I'm scared to take it away!! X
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:37:23 am »
DS dropped his AM bottle at 16 months and his PM bottle just before 2.  :) The transition to a cup for the BT bottle was alot easier than I had anticipated.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
We breastfed and transitioned to a cup at bedtime at 13 months.  He instigated it tbh.  I was prepared to BF for longer but it was fine.  In the UK dentists and HV recommend going to a free flowing cup by 12 months.  Have you tried a cup?  Might be easier than you think.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:12:28 am »
My DS hung on to that last bottle for a long time, he wouldnt accept the sippy cup for milk at all. Then suddenly he decided he wanted to be a big boy and I just switched to the cup. He was just over 2yrs though, which was much later than I wanted but it was a successful switch.
Catherine x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »
DS had his bedtime bottle until 2.5 - we tried a few times to get rid of it. With DD I just gave her the milk in a cup one bedtime when she was 18 months and that was it. Just make sure teeth are cleaned after the milk ;)!

Laura

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 14:20:03 pm »
My dentist recommends cleaning before the milk if from a cup so might be worth checking what yours says. I'm sure advice all differs!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 14:28:39 pm »
DD held onto that last bottle too...she was over 2.5.    We didn't mind, it was the only time she wanted to snuggle!!   :)

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 14:29:46 pm »
We didn't mind, it was the only time she wanted to snuggle!!
Yep, really missing this now :( He's losing interest now it's in the sippy, and barely sits still for it, let alone want to cuddle :(
Catherine x

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 14:33:55 pm »
DS only liked milk from booby (stopped BF'ing at 19 months) or a bottle.  Water came from cups or sippy cups, milky tea came from mugs. Don't mess with that system he felt. So at 2.5 years old I switched his bedtime bottle to an after 5pm supper bottle, his dessert lol.  Then he would have a bedtime snack-toast or boiled egg or banana and then brush his teeth.  At about 3.5 years he started having a glass of milk with his 5pm supper by his request so that was the end of "botbots."  Then at 4.5 and until now he really only drinks water (his favourite drink) and asks for milky tea or a glass of milk when he feels in the mood and not necessarily with his supper, sometimes as a snack. (4x a week-ish)

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 14:40:52 pm »
Yes snuggles with them sitting still, sooooo lovely.  He could drink water out of a sippy at 1 year but he just did not like his milk in it.  He didn't walk around with a bottle, it was his comfort, quiet time.  I would of let him have it as long as he liked.  It was only once a day, so I am happy and not embarrassed to tell others that he was 3.5 years when he had his last bottle. He told me when he wanted no more booby, he told me when he wanted to "go" in the toilet (took 3 days, easiest child in the world to train) he told me when he wanted to sleep in a big boy bed, (had no issues and it was on xmas eve no less) so I figured I would let him tell me when he was done with his "botbot."

:D

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 21:29:55 pm »
thanks for all the replies :D we gave him a cup to begin with a few months ago now, as time went on he stopped drinking from it altogether in the morning. i thought maybe to start giving him milk in his cup at dinner time and then gradually lowering the amount of milk in his bottle over time.