Author Topic: Suitable recipes for special diets  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Suitable recipes for special diets
« on: November 03, 2011, 17:22:54 pm »
Hi All,

Although I don't have a child with intolerances and allergies, I do work in food and so I have a lot of awareness about it.  I have a blog and I thought it might be a good idea to share some recipes I have with those on restricted diets.  I'll add to this as I go along as, tbh it's only something I've started to consider recently.

This meal would be suitable for any kids who can't eat gluten or wheat but it's still pretty filling, especially if you include the chicken and feta.
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/11/roasted-vegetables-for-babies-and.html

This cake is egg free but could easily be made dairy free if you use soy milk and vegetable margarine:

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-added-sugar-date-loaf.html

Does anyone else have any ideas or requests they'd like me to work on?

Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Suitable recipes for special diets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 19:55:14 pm »
Does anyone else have any ideas or requests they'd like me to work on?

Yes please! Protein ideas for a picky MSPI 13mo who will only eat stage 1 purees and gags and spits out anything even slightly lumpier (eg mashed lentils  ::)), and who will occasionally eat finger foods if the mood takes him  ;D

I love the idea of fishcakes and meatballs and things like that, but I'm pretty sure they'd end up on the floor  :(

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 20:44:06 pm »
Smooth protein ideas; MSPI is no milk and no soy is that right? 

Might be worth trying some meatier finger foods but how does he do with pasta and a smooth sauce?  You could always puree a bolognaise?

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/07/bolognaise-adults-and-babies.html

You might have to check on stock cubes or miss them out entirely, I imagine some will contain soy.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 22:23:24 pm »
Oh def try some mini burgers, sausages, fish/chicken/mince/lentil cakes etc. Make a batch and defrost and heat through in the microwave individually. One getting thrown on the floor a day won't hurt! Then a batch will last a couple of weeks!

There are loads of recipes around the boards and on LTs blog.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 13:16:30 pm »
Hi Lemonthyme,

Have you got any ideas for dairy free pasta sauces please? I have only just got him to eat pasta with a sauce on it - hooray! He is also off his veg so anything with hidden veg in is a bonus.

He won't eat raw tomatos but will tolerate them in a ragu type sauce.

I am already on the case with ragus with various types of meat/veg combos. Another fave is soy cream over pasta with whatever meat/veg I have handy.

But other than that I haven't explored any further. Any ideas welcome  ;)

xx

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 18:07:10 pm »
Omg I love this post and will be back later to read more! Harry is mpsi, 2 year old and we desparately need ideas (I work 4 days a week and harry demands my attention on my days off so cooking is tricky! Love the idea of batch cooking and freezing etc.
My boy is 4!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 18:16:25 pm »
Lisa, Hope you are doing OK? What kind of foods are you making for him now?? What are his likes and dislikes?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 19:12:37 pm »
Hi Buntybear.  Well here are a couple of basic staples but it sounds like you might have recipes for them already?

Bolognaise: http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/07/bolognaise-adults-and-babies.html

A slow cooked tomato sauce (made either in the oven or in a slow cooker): http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/01/short-nursing-strikes-and-easy-sauce.html

You can add anything you like to the tomato sauce to serve; e.g. prawns, cooked chicken, ham, other vegetables.

Both of the above sauces have 'hidden veg'.  I often chop up a courgette finely into my bolognaise as well to pad it out and add in more veg.

I'll have a think though.  Unfortunately most of my pasta recipes contain cream cheese at the moment but I'm sure I will think of something.

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 20:02:18 pm »
Hi BB.  We are doing ok, thanks.  I posted about Harry being checked of wheat intolerances and it came back negative (phew).  still got probs with milk and soy proteins (recently tested the milk aspect).

You know, my boy just doesn't really do food, it is like he tolerates it because he has too.  I'd say his likes are; cottage pie with mash and peas; spaghetti meatballs and tomoto pasta sauce; the fish dippers and peas and he does like fish (from the fish n chip shop!).  He doesn't seem to like chips that much.  He loves fruit and will eat carrots, brocolli, peas and sweetcorn.  My MIL visited for his birthday and made him a dairy free cake, with egg, and he adored it.  I have never made him any cake succesfully as used egg replacer and they end up tasting rank.  We decided to try MIL cake even though it had 3 eggs in it, and he has tolerated well, so I'm thinking he can do small amounts of egg now.

My typical meals for him consist of those about plus in nursery he eats: fish fingers, beans and chips, spaghetti bol, meatballs, chicken rice and veg in gravy.

To be fair he doesn't do so bad with food - I guess i'm jsut getting really fed up doing the same things for him over and over.  Need an injection of new ideas that are pretty straightforward to make, preferably batch cooking.

So looking forward to reading more.

Lisa
My boy is 4!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 21:45:09 pm »
Lemon - I use the AK hidden veg bolognaise recipe. Blends the stock cooked veges into the tom sauce so great! Then made it again with turkey and whatever veg I had in the fridge - even chucked in some frozen spinach cubes! Will try that tom sauce recipe out - I love my slow cooker! The problem with pasta sauces is that they do tend to often rely on cheese.

Lisa - he does sound like he has a really good and varied diet but I know what you mean about the same old things day in day out. I look at what Olly eats and think that hey it isn't too bad really.

Have you got a slow cooker? They are great for doing easy foods that you can bulk cook for the freezer. I also make meatballs/sausages/meatloafs that can be put in the freezer and reheated. Lemon has a recipe on her blog.

Will he eat sweet potato and butternut squash? they can be roasted and frozen or use as a different mash or baked?

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 20:02:15 pm »
Yeah, reading it back, he does eat a bit of variety doesn't he! 
Have tried Sweet potato fries but they didn't go down well.  So what do you do with your sweet potato and squash?

I had a look at that blog and it is really good - I've subscribed to updates, what a fantastic effort some folks put in - I think it is great. Thank you LemonThyme.  ;D  The currys look great, can't wait to try them.  We are moving house this weekend and I'll have a bigger kitchen so can do more cooking whilst Harry plays at the table (current kitchen the size of a small box!).
My boy is 4!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 20:34:33 pm »
BB what about this idea; make a pesto with basil, pine nuts, garlic and oil (without cheese) and then use to make pasta genovese?  http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11294/pasta-alla-genovese

Or this one is full of veggies:  http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/412625/superveg-pasta

I will have a think on though.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 22:12:29 pm »
Great ideas - thanks! Am going to make a version of the roasted veg sauce too. Will freeze in ice cube trays and then I can use as a dipping sauce (insteaad of ketchup!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 22:13:47 pm »
Have tried Sweet potato fries but they didn't go down well.  So what do you do with your sweet potato and squash?

I just make them into fingers and roast, but then until yesterday Olly wouldn't eat mash!