Author Topic: foods to begin with?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
foods to begin with?
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:54:03 am »
DD is 5 months. On the advice of my HV we are starting on solids. I am trying to go slow even though they think she should be on 2 meals a day  ::)

She has had baby rice, pear and apple. We also tried banana but I think it made her a bit constpated as she was grumpy yesterday afternoon and was awake at 2am a bit windy and clearly working on a big poo which she did at 5.30am  :P

I am going from the Annabel Karmel book and she talks about first foods. I think I am going to steer clear of banana for a while though. Just wondered what you did first as regards fruit and veg...and do I still apply the 3 day rule to the first foods?

How do I know when she is ready for another meal? Do you think it best to wait until 6 months before I add another in?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: foods to begin with?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:22:15 am »
I think be guided by your baby but first foods I did included pureed parsnips, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, swede, pureed sieved peas (I also did traditional weaning and started at 19 weeks on HV advice).  The only thing to be wary of from memory is a lot of the first vegetables can be high in carotene so it can make their nose a bit orange!  It does go but just remember to do some non orange / yellow veg!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 14:48:29 pm »
Hi Becky, I think a lot of your questions were answered in your previous post. Do you have any thing you would like clarifying?

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=219409.0

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 15:28:47 pm »
this post is actually different if you read both contents. The first was when/how to start but this is about specific foods and amounts. I realise it is not the BW way to start solids at 5 months but I am working on advice i have been given from my HV.

Thank you lemonthyme for your useful input.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 15:43:44 pm »
Personally I would stick with the 3 day rule but we already had a milk allergy so that made sense to us. I know many others don't so this. It is up to you really. Has your HV advised anything?

As for first foods, you have already started with some of the good ones. I think a lot of people use Annabel Karmel as has researched a lot into which foods and combinations are good for babies.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 15:28:29 pm »
Have just been re-rereading the NHS website and actually some pretty good tips on there...

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/birthtofive/Pages/Firstfoods.aspx

and a quote from 'first steps' page

If you do decide to introduce your baby to solid foods before six months, there are some foods you should avoid as they may cause food allergies or make your baby ill. These include:

•wheat-based foods and other foods containing gluten (for example, bread, rusks and some breakfast cereals)
•eggs
•fish
•shellfish
•liver
•nuts
•seeds
•soft and unpasteurised cheeses

HTH

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 19:41:36 pm »
thanks - that is great :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 20:49:50 pm »
Oh and obviously avoid honey before 1 year due to the botulism risk and limit salt to no more than 1g per day before 1 year (and don't add salt to any food).
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline MommySteezy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My sweet Cora
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:44:56 am »
We have just started solid foods with our little one as well and have had some issues with constipation. A good rule of thumb is most things that start with the letter P (peas, prunes, pears, peaches) is usually easy to digest and good to combat constipation. I try to make sure my DD has at least one P food a day. Obviously, only introduce one of these new foods at a time so you know the culprit if your babe has tummy issues.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:45:03 am »
She def has not got constipation!! If anything she is the other way. When I saw the HV and had not started solids she said her BM's were loose and to see if they improved with solids but we did both agree that 35 oz plus of milk is probably going to do that!