Author Topic: is there 9/10 month growth spurt? He's eating SO much!  (Read 3961 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
is there 9/10 month growth spurt? He's eating SO much!
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:35:06 am »
Not sure if this is a growth spurt or not, it seems to be going on permanently (started around 2 wks ago at 9.5months).
He's never been much of a milk drinker (silent reflux) but recently has taken larger quantities of milk (maybe reflux improving, maybe growth spurt?) and he is totally DESPERATE for his solids meals.  When he's at a meal he eats as though he's been starved all week.
He's had 3 meals per day since 6 months and I've introduced snacks recently at the 11.30 and 3.30 milks but he is still clamouring for solids meals.

He self feeds and I always let him eat until he is full.  Is it a growth spurt or is it a small tummy but a big food need?  Or maybe he wants solids more frequently to help his silent reflux?  So far he is still taking a good amount of solids at meals times, but I suppose I'm a bit worried that we could end up grazing throughout the day rather than having decent meals.

He's a smallish boy, between 9th and 25th centile, no chubbiness at all, and has had steady weight since birth.

any thoughts?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: is there 9/10 month growth spurt? He's eating SO much!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 16:19:09 pm »
I think we were on 3 meals and 2 snacks at 9ish months, with 5/6 BFs too! Maybe you are used to have a small eater and now he has suddenly realised food is great then he is going for it. As you say it could well be his reflux improving.  :)

Offline creations

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 16:47:40 pm »
He's always been a big solids eater since day one, none of that 'food before one is just for fun' stuff, he's a serious eater!  But I've held off giving snacks regularly because I didn't want him to cut out yet more milk (he takes v little as it is).
So no growth spurt or risk of grazing then, just bog standard hungry boy, that's fine :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 17:04:28 pm »
As you say 2 weeks is a long time for a growth but you never know! Guess time will tell  ;)

Bet it is a relief that he is eating well now though?

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:01 am »
I've always felt really happy (and lucky) that he took to solids so well and that his weight has stayed steady because his milk intake was at half the recommended, and when he started solids he dropped milk even further so that was a worry.  Plus his solids portions seemed huge from 6 months but he obviously preferred solids to milk, must cause less discomfort (and be more tasty!).  At some point I decided to trust he knows what he needs considering his weight didn't drop.  I suppose this recent (ish) increase just got me thinking again.  But yes, it's lovely to see him eat, must be a mother's instinct to want to feed a child and get so much joy from seeing them eat!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:35:24 am »
He's probably stocking up now for the picky toddler years ;). Sounds like he is doing really well at the moment!

Laura

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:35:51 am »
My son was eating way more at around a year than he eats at 17 months!  I just reckon they have peaks and troughs in intake of milk and solids.  At this age I'd just respond to his cues and not drop the milk too much if you can.  At 9/10 months my son was on around 4-5 breastfeeds a day plus three meals!  He'd only just dropped night feeding!  He's a hungry boy.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:36:18 am »
Yep - looks like 9 months is growth spurt time:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:03:54 am »
He's probably stocking up now for the picky toddler years
haha!  I already call him a 'fussy eater' because he won't let me get away with giving him the same meal two days running.  He knows it's left overs and won't entertain it, he wants freshly cooked food at every meal - and who can blame him really?  It's not exactly the way most people use the term 'fussy eater' :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 15:24:29 pm »
lol I have not heard of that kind of fussiness before! Maybe he can repay you when he is older and cook you fresh meals every day! The next Jamie Oliver?  ;)