Author Topic: Veggies refusal  (Read 1218 times)

Offline NikNik

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Veggies refusal
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:31 am »
Well I recently started feeling that my 10 mo DD was no longer eating well, but have come to realize it is just the veggies she is not eating. She will eat lots of fruit and yogurt but she seems to refuse veggies. I do not want to inadvertently create a picky eater so my DH and I would like some advice. Should we
A: offer veg and if she refuses give her fruit and yogurt (Is this telling her she doesn't have to eat veg?)
B: Offer veg and if she refuses tell her 'you must not be hungry right now" or something like that and try again later (but later do we offer the same thing? And what if she refuses again?)
C: Something other than the above options?

My MIL thinks we should give her the same thing at every meal. Her claim is that I am offering her too many flavors (can this be true?) and she is getting choosy, ie she knows she likes something else better so she won't eat what I am giving her at this meal IYKWIM.  I am not giving her something new at each meal but usually alternate between 2-4 different "meals" a week. Then she gets fruit and/or yogurt. Thoughts on this theory?

Am I stressing too much and should I just let her keep on eating what she likes? I have 2 ridiculously picky nieces and I am trying to start healthy eating habits early. Advice welcome!!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Veggies refusal
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:49:11 am »
At this age I don't think they are picky as such, but learning about preference, textures and flavours they like and don't like so much. I think if a big deal is made out of it, it's more likely to become an issue. I would just keep offering veg at diff times of the day, in diff formats and see if she starts to eat more.

Personally I don't believe this theory...re flavors. we were advised offering more options and a varied diet actually reduces the chances of a fussy eater later on (by plunket)

Some things you can try is to mix fruit and vegas, ie pumpkin and pear, sweet potato and apple, yams and peach. I also make savory muffins etc with Veg in them. You could try grating zucchini into potato and meat, or cheese sauce with cauliflower. When Z got fussy for a bit I snuck mashed pumpkin into his Sammie's ;)

Good luck :-* 10 months is pretty young still, and the are lots of reasons they fuss with some foods at is age, so try not to worry too much :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:50:58 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:47 pm »
This is what I do and (touch wood) my 17 month old isn't all that picky at the moment even if his table manners could be improved(!)

Personally I always offered a range of things and then when he seemed to not want any more, just take it away and then offer the next thing I was going to give.  I never give sugary foods; all my baking doesn't have any added sugar (or any other nasties) so I have no problems if he only then eats fruit and a sugar free muffin for example. 

He has gone through phases of refusing something consistently (it's banana at the moment) but I still offer and occasionally he will have it.  I'll probably just not buy it for a couple of weeks now as I've had a few refusals on the trot but then I'll buy it again and he'll be fine.

Sometimes offering things in a slightly different way helps.  My son used to refuse halved grapes but eat sliced grapes.  He won't bit into an apple but will eat apple slices.  At around 10 months he wouldn't eat foods which were in the shape of a stick but would eat finger foods which use his pincer grip (e.g. peas, sweetcorn or smaller pieces of larger vegetables.)

Also sneaking vegetables into food can be useful so at least you know they're getting something and then you're not as worried whether the finger vegetables are accepted.  I'd still keep offering finger vegetables though and I think variety is good.  Lots of colours will be stimulating and also offers a range of vitamins and trace elements.

I don't hold with dessert being a 'reward'.  You want her to eat fruit, it's full of vitamins so to deny it because she's not eaten veg seems a bit back to front.  Also if my son has a piece of fruit after a meal for the rest of his life I think that's no bad thing.  It's not like you're offering chocolate.  I also feel uncomfortable that it might put in her head "main course bad, pudding good"!

I don't know, I know lots of parents did this when I was younger.  My parents never did though.  They had the attitude that I should eat the meat (we weren't well off as kids and I think they went for the expensive bit) and if there was one bit we didn't like we would be told to have one spoonful and "it's an adult taste".  They also allowed us one flat refusal.  For me it's leeks.  Still can't stand them.  Everything else we'd be expected to at least try but puddings were never with held. 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 19:39:01 pm »
At 10 months I wouldn't refuse anything. It has been said 100 times but food before 1 is for FUN! She is getting her nutrients from her milk. As others have said - keep offering, keep offering it as mash, puree, lumps, finger foods, boiled, roasted etc etc. She can't refuse them all surely!

Offline MommySteezy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My sweet Cora
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:53:12 am »
Have you tried adding some spices to the veggies? I make my own baby food and add spices when I am roasting or cooking the veggies, However, if you use store bought it would be just as simple to add a little seasoning to the jar before you serve it up. You only need a VERY small amount, but it can take the food from boring and bland to super tasty! Also, MANY spices have tons of nutritional value and can even aid in digestion (cinnamon and ginger especially). Obviously, you need to follow the same allergy guidelines with spices as you would when introducing any new food.

Also, I ALWAYS taste test before I feed it to my little one. If I wouldn't eat it I don't feed it to her!  :)

PS - if all else fails...go to sweet potatoes! They are full of nutrients and I haven't met a baby yet who doesn't love them!