Author Topic: 5.5 month old fussy with his milk  (Read 1717 times)

Offline NCH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
Hi

Could being fussy with milk feeds (exclusively bottled fed) be an indication my LO is ready to start solids?

By being fussy I mean, very distracted, not overly interested and feeds are taking a long time. Until recently he was still having 6 bottles a day (incl: DF plus a feed around 3am and then he didn't really want much at 7am). I decided to drop the dream feed and he had been feeding around 6pm ish, between 1 and 2 am, then through to 6.30am. His bottles then increased to approx 210 mls each feed.

The last couple of days it's like he doesn't want it at all. I am confident it's not illness, there is some redness on his bottom gums so I am wondering also if it's because of teeth. Otherwise he is really watching the family eat and always wants to be up near the table and is starting to grab at my drink bottle in particular for some reason.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 5.5 month old fussy with his milk
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:00:39 pm »
I don't think that is an indication of wanting solids as surely he would want his bottles more IYKWIM?

Is he on a 4 hour EASY?

Offline NCH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 19:10:30 pm »
Sorry what does IYKWIM mean?

He is on 4 hour EASY in terms of his milk but his sleep isn't quite there yet therefore we are generally EASAE.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 19:17:07 pm »
IYKWIM = if you know what I mean  :)

I think at around 5 months fussy eating can be fairly normal as they become more aware of their environment and more nosey! And of course teeth can always be a cause of being off food. It is great that he is taking interest in your familes food that bodes really well for when you do decide to wean  :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:36 am »
It's common between 4 and 6 months to get fussy feeding (especially with breastfeeding) because they don't want to face you anymore because there's so much else going on in the world. 

As you're bottle feeding, you have a few more options.  For breastfeeding it's often recommended to feed in a distraction free dark room which might also work for you.  As you are bottle feeding though, can you face him out?  Even let him help hold the bottle?

Also you could be right, could be teething.  Sometimes teething puts them off milk because it's painful to suck.  Have you tried some teething gel or teething salts before his feed? 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/