Author Topic: Interested in my food, but not his  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Interested in my food, but not his
« on: November 09, 2011, 17:26:44 pm »
I've recently started my 6 month old DS on solid foods.  He's clearly showing signs of being ready, and he's very interested in what I'm eating.  The problem is, he's way more interested in what I'm eating than any of the foods I've been trying to give him.  I've tried rice cereal, and pureed apples, pears, and bananas so far, but he doesn't seem to be interested.  He'll close his mouth or try to turn away.  Should I keep trying out different foods until I find one he likes?  I haven't read too much about it yet, but should I try BLW?  Any advice would be great!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Interested in my food, but not his
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 19:02:49 pm »
What is it off your plate he seems to be after? If it is things he can pick up then sure - try some finger foods  :) If it is just the novelty of eating off your plate put some of his food on your plate and try it! lol

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 20:54:43 pm »
Definitely sounds like BLW would work for your little one!  Give it a go!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 22:26:49 pm »
BLW is great, go for it.
I always make a point of showing DS that I am eating the same, I think they love to imitate and join in.  I even poured my tea into a sippy cup when I was teaching him how to use his so he could see we had the same and us two hands to pick it up by the handles (he's now mastered the one handed sippy cup method so I'm back to a regular mug for my tea).  It's a much quicker and easier way of getting the message across.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 16:43:23 pm »
We're blw and it's fab. Come and join us on the blw thread.

I always sit down with LJ to eat and usually eat what she does.  She is loving it!

Xx

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 21:13:48 pm »
Just a little update - I tried some blw with some banana, apple, pear, etc. just letting him suck on them and putting frozen chunks into one of those little mesh feeding bags with the handle he can hold.  He totally loved it!  I've also kept on plugging away at trying to get him to eat the pureed foods (I went to the trouble of buying a Baby Bullet, so I need to get some use out of it!).  Now he's much better at being spoon-fed too, although he never seems to enjoy trying new foods. :( 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 22:02:02 pm »
YAY! Well done!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 23:09:10 pm »
If you find more success with the BLW and him eating food from your plate I'd give up on the purées.  You can still make excellent use of the baby bullet though, home made humus is a wonderful spread on toast for finger food, really easy to make and it gets lost in a big blender.  Great source of protein.
You can also make things like fish paste for sandwiches, guacamole, red pepper pesto (great mixed through pasta and served as finger food).  Just some ideas so you don't feel your purchase is money wasted by going more towards the finger foods weaning method.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 15:26:04 pm »
Just a little update - I tried some blw with some banana, apple, pear, etc. just letting him suck on them and putting frozen chunks into one of those little mesh feeding bags with the handle he can hold.  He totally loved it!  I've also kept on plugging away at trying to get him to eat the pureed foods (I went to the trouble of buying a Baby Bullet, so I need to get some use out of it!).  Now he's much better at being spoon-fed too, although he never seems to enjoy trying new foods. :( 

That's great that he's doing well with BLW. How is he with holding the food himself? I tried mango with my LO this morning as a finger food but it slips all over the place. I'm assuming most fruits and veggies will do this, so just wondering what others are doing. She does have the mesh bags too, but tends to bang it around rather than put it in her mouth. However, if I hold it, she will devour the food.