Author Topic: overeating toddler?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2011, 19:42:46 pm »
my daughter has always loved to eat (takes after my 6'4 husband). Its gotten so out of hand lately i dont know what else to do. She wants to eat all day, she eats extremely fast, and eats big portions. She doesn't mind eating fruit/vegis over crackers or cookies, but still , she can ask for more and more apple, and then ask for a banana, then a cucumber! she just never stops or says im full. she is 30 pounds and 50% in height. Shes been like this forever and is only getting worse.

Offline Tay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: overeating toddler?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 20:23:25 pm »
I want to hear this because DS would be exactly the same, he might have just finished lunch and he would still eat.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 20:36:44 pm »
Mine was the same, how old is your dd, Shirat?  In fact DS was on hungry baby formula as instructed by the nurse, or else i would be feeding every two hours!!!  DS still eats non stop but he has slimmed down since he turned 2.5!  He is still perhaps a bit broader than his peers but not chubby.  I think she is just growing very hard and i think brain development takes much more calories than the limbs!! 

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: overeating toddler?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 20:49:54 pm »
My little boy had phases of eating as much as me  :o!  But now is a typical picky 3 year old  ::)

I think as long as you are offering healthy meals and snacks then that is the main thing at this age.  Also, to eat socially - so at the table where possible, or even sitting on a blanket and chatting - just so that you are talking and eating together to slow things down and so she can focus on feeling full.  The other thing is that some children (like adults) eat when they are bored - so it might be worth noting when she asks for food.  Also thirst is a big factor with people overeating.  Does she drink plenty of water?  You could try and get her to drink a cup of water with each meal and snack to rule out thirst and also to slow her down. 

How old is your daughter - I was just going to check her weight on the centile charts for you.

There is a very rare condition where people do not detect that they are 'full' after a meal.  It is *very* rare, but if you are genuinely worried then it would be worth chatting with your doctor.

x
Claire x

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:45 am »
she drinks A TON all day! I tried offering snack time and play time, but half of the time she just sits on the couch and waits for snack time! "want snack time mommy" she says. so i end up all day saying its play time, and in a few more minutes it will be snack time, but its becoming more stressful on my part