Author Topic: Coeliac negative but what about wheat intolerance?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Coeliac negative but what about wheat intolerance?
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »
Hopefully you can advise me...

My LO's had the bloodtest for coeliac disease and it's come back negative.  (Hurrah!)  We've had no advice at all on what to do next, other than a suggestion that he might be suffering from 'toddler diarrhoea' and that'll just go away (this from the paediatrician).  I know if I asked the GP they'd be pretty clueless.  My usual experience is that they know less about food intolerances than I do, sigh.  I really wish that wasn't the case.   :-\

Anyway, he's still on the GF/WF diet and I'm wondering what to do next to figure this out.  Do we do an inclusion diet - ie feed him one item with wheat and then see what happens?  Then gradually ramp it up if it's working?  Would love to hear of any experiences.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Coeliac negative but what about wheat intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 15:32:21 pm »
My friend's son is dairy and wheat/gluten intolerant but not celiac. He did test positive (and quite high) on an IgG test for both (and other items as well). Depending on your son's symptoms I might wait until at least 2 years old and then give him a small amount of an item with wheat and then wait a couple days to see what happens before continuing on...

Is he on probiotics?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 22:22:50 pm »
Hi, Sorry I don't know your history so don't really placed to advise but great news on the negative result  ;D

Could you share a bit more about what has happened so far??

If you are still experiencing symptoms then I would be reluctant to introduce anything - more likely take the likely culpruits out until your LO is symptom free.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:09:12 am »
If you have done a wheat/Gluten challenge before and it has produced symptoms then I would stay off this stuff until bubs is alot older.

I take my paeds advice, if you know it doesn't agree with him, "lets not to anything to aggravate his digestive system". 

The golden age to try again seems to be over the age of 2 when things are a bit more mature.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 13:21:18 pm »
Thanks for the comments...and so, the story so far...

LO has been eating wheat since we started weaning at six months.  He was BF all along as well.  I suspect that his symptoms began to show when we from three to two feeds a day when he was about a year old, perhaps the BM was shielding his system somehow. 

His symptoms have never been dramatic: no skin irritation, no sleeplessness, no apparent tummy aches, just enormous stinky, sludgy BMs with bits of undigested food in it.  Also, he used to poo pretty much like clockwork but then seemed to loose all control of timing, even getting up in the morning with poo in his nappy, which he hadn't done in months.  So there was something irritating his gut, definitely.  I'm lactose intolerant so we tried cutting out dairy (no difference), reducing his fruit intake (no difference) and now, having fed him wheat so we could do the coeliac test, we've had him on the GF/WF diet for three weeks or so.  Poo is back on time!  And there's no sign of the big sludgy horribles unless his childminder gets confused and feeds him something she shouldn't.

So he seems to be symptom-free on the GF/WF diet.  I suppose I want to confirm it's wheat intolerance and not this 'toddler diarrhea' thing.  Perhaps there's nothing wrong at all?  I don't want to restrict him needlessly. 

And what, in practical terms, is the difference between a GF and a WF diet?  I know we need not be as vigilant as though he were coeliac but what can I reintroduce to his diet?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 13:29:05 pm »
Ok so you are symptom free - the only symptom is a stinky nappy - in that case I may introduce some wheat and see what happens. If the nappies comes back then you may have your answer.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 16:51:01 pm »
This sounds like Murray (we also considered wheat) - turns out it was soya (which is often connected with dairy intolerence). Soya/dairy gave him loose stools and often a burnt bottom (along with other foods that caused that too)

I assume when they tested for wheat he had been on it for a while? I was told that for Murray to be tested he needed it in his system for a few months for his body to produce the antibodies that would show up in the tests.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 18:58:50 pm »
Sals gave Sophina loose bm and burnt bums and our dietion told us toddler diohreah we cut high sals and bam it vanished

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 19:13:00 pm »
our dietion told us toddler diohreah we cut high sals and bam it vanished
Our paed said it was "just toddler diarrhoea" and he would "outgrow it" too   ::)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!