Author Topic: Has Tracy written a weaning book?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Gatters

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:45 am »
My LO is 4 1/2 months just thinking about getting things ready for weaning has Tracy written a book about weaning I have the secrets of the baby wisper but wondered if there was a specific weaning book with a day by day menu for beginners?

Any ideas welcome

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Has Tracy written a weaning book?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 13:04:10 pm »
I don't think Tracy has a specific weaning book (not that I know of).

I used Annabel Karmel's books (she has several and I think different ones depending on what country you're in) and thought they were great.  "Weaning", for example, has day-by-day menus to follow and lots of tips and recipes to get you started. 

She's very well-known so you might be able to find some of her books at your local library.

She also has a website: http://www.annabelkarmel.com/
with loads of info and details of her books on it.

HTH
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 13:36:45 pm »
The BW Solves All Your Problems covers weaning and right up to toddler issues.  She doesn't go into detail about recipes but rather timing and so on. 

And here's an interesting website: http://www.babyledweaning.com/
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 21:34:14 pm »
I think Tracy's weaning plan is in the Toddler book but I can't check as I've lent it out, but think it's the same in Secrets.
It gives a suggestion of what food to introduce day by day but only for the very beginning of weaning.  It is not an in depth weaning guide though and like Anne said it doesn't have recipes or much detail.

Also here:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=209678.0

Baby Led Weaning (BLW) is great though, very child-centred, and it follows Tracy's ethos of allowing your LO to become independent and explore in a safe way.

There's some info here about how it fits in with BW ethos
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0

Offline Gatters

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:16 am »
Thanks for all your replys have ordered a copy of annabel Karmel as it looks good.

I'm a little confused as to how to wean have been given conflicting advise, my Heath visitors have said breast feed first then offer solids then offer more breast, others have said breast feed then 1 hr later offer food others have said offer solid first so they are more likely to take it then breast??? I get it most important for LO to take their milk but it all seems a little confusing not sure where to begin. was wondering how most of you started??

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 08:06:03 am »
In NZ Plunket recommends milk before solids always up until ~9 months, and then solids can be introduced before milk feeds. Usually milk fee are offered ~1hr before solids so your LO isn't hungry when being introduced to solids as it is more about getting them used to tastes etc than filling up on solids at 6 months or so.
http://www.plunket.org.nz/your-child/6-months-to-1-year/food-and-nutrition/how-to-start-feeding-baby/
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:08:23 am »
I think most people give milk first and solids an hour (or so) later, this way they get their fill of milk as the most important food.  The hour you wait just gives them a chance to get a little hungry so willing to try some solids which is really to learn about taste and texture rather than 'feed' them.  Gradually towards the 12 month mark they will take more solids, if they are they will likely reduce their milk intake on their own (you don't want that to be too fast!) and then at 12 months the solids become the main food source and milk continues, but less of it.

The bf again after solids is because LO is thirsty and wants some liquid to help the food down.
I bottle fed but even so my LO wanted milk straight after a solid feed for the first couple of weeks.
When your LO is 6 months you should introduce a sippy cup and offer water at meal times in case LO like a drink whilst eating (not so easy to offer the breast when in the high chair and also good cup learning practice).  I think it will depend how quickly your LO learns to drink from a sippy as to how long you will need to offer a bf after solids.  If they don't have enough liquid/water/fore milk to quench thirst they may get a bit constipated...sometimes this is overlooked when solids are introduced as we are so used to giving the breast or bottle at 'set' times.

hth