Author Topic: Sudden dis-intereset in food??  (Read 1289 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: November 16, 2011, 21:57:36 pm »
My LO has always been a fairly good eater. She breastfed well, and when I started her on solids at 5 1/2 months she was so eager. She was eating 4 Tbsp. twice a day, and sometimes three times a day. The past few days she has been very strange. Only has one good breastfeed a day (and that's at about 4am, used to not even need this feeding). Otherwise she'll pop on and off for about two minutes at which point I've been giving up, pumping, and trying to force her to drink with a bottle as it's easier to make her take that. She's also weird with solids. Some meals she'll eat no problem, while others she'll have no interest at all. She is teething a little, but I'm just at a loss for what to do. Do I still offer her solids in the hopes of getting something in her (I puree them with breast milk so she'd be getting at least some through that). Or do I stop solids until she starts taking her milk with more interest? Help!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Sudden dis-intereset in food??
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 22:53:48 pm »
I think that I would stick with offering small amounts solids - if she isnt really taking any then it won't affect milk supply, esp if given after a BF. It could be well be the teething and things will settle back down in a few days.

Offline newbiemom112

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 00:55:51 am »
I'm wondering if my son is having the same issue...

He's a great eater, but all of a sudden he's not eating much. I think he was a little sick a couple of days ago and I'm wondering if that can have something to do with it. He's not eating much at all - today all he ate was cheerios, watermelon, some puffs, cantaloupe, and a mix of yogurt and tahini. I've always been told/said that he knows how much he needs, but he's always eaten loads of food! I breastfeed twice a day and those seem to be the same as normal, but, you know, it's so hard to tell how much they are actually eating. Suggestions anyone?

Has you LO gotten better eating in the last day? I have heard that teething can cause that...

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:13 am »
Today is day #4 where she's not drinking well at all. Her solids is kind of all over the map. Usually she'll enjoy at least one out of three meals and be into it. But today she wasn't really interested in any. The only time she actually breastfeeds well is during her night feeding.
I have heard too that when they are sick or teething they eat less. I guess the good thing is that they will eat when hungry. I've been pumping and bottle feeding so that I know how much she's getting. It's a lot easier to try and get it in her via a bottle than the breast!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 16:27:06 pm »
Almost certainly teething and babies can go on 'nursing strike'.  My son did at 8 months.  I found feeding him standing up worked reasonably well.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 19:37:16 pm »
Some info in here about weaning strikes

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=89418.0

xx

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:58:10 am »
Thanks for the info. She's definitely on a strike and I'm positive it's due to teething. I'm still offering her 3 meals a day one hour after her milk feeds, and today she happily ate them all (about 2 oz. per meal). I am going to try adding lots of breast milk to her solids tomorrow to try and get more liquid in her. Or maybe try giving her milk through a sippy cup, although I'm worried about the amount of spillage. Breast milk is precious! :)