Author Topic: what do you give your 6-7 month olds for bfast?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
what do you give your 6-7 month olds for bfast?
« on: November 16, 2011, 13:17:02 pm »
just thinking about this as we are about to hit 6 months. Can they have something like ready brek or is it better to still buy the baby cereals?

My friend thought I was bonkers as I have been giving M a few teaspoons of fruit or veg once a day and it is usually around bfast time. Today we did broccoli and she thought that was mad...had not really thought I needed to give a bfast food at this age but maybe that is why she did not want it!!  :P

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: what do you give your 6-7 month olds for bfast?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 13:55:47 pm »
Hi hun, I always gave C baby type breakfast cereals with fruit until she was about 9 months. There was a mixed grain banana porridge that she loved! I was always worried about added sugar and salt before then. I guess as long as you check the ingredients for no added sugar and salt then it should be fine.

I started to introduce ready brek and things like weetabix and cheerios ocassionally around 10/11 months. We gradually phased the baby breakfast out then so that she was on normal breakfasts by about 12 months. HTHs.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 15:03:21 pm »
yes that sounds like what I did with H....thank you xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 15:06:13 pm »
We have always given Oliver Ready Brek - it has lots of calcium and (as far as I remember) no sugar/salt.  Buy the supermarket own make one - I am pretty sure it is the same product.  The Morrison and Tesco ones (I think) have the exact same amount of calcium as Ready Brek which makes me think it is the same, but at a fraction of the price.  Both called "hot oat cereal" or similar (sorry so wooly on the titles etc but we put it into a tupperware tub (less messy, not to hide that it is own brand ;) -  when we get home so can't check the box!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 20:24:02 pm »
I gave own brand ready brek, either Tesco, Asda or Aldi with full fat milk.  I never bothered adding fruit to it; I figured if he eats it without it being sweetened (even just by fruit) it's a good habit to get into.  I'd rather give him fruit separately and he still has cereal, fruit and normally some toast.

Another good one is weetabix but don't give every day as it can lead to squishy poos.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 20:48:52 pm »
We don't add fruit either - just use oat milk (dairy free diet).  Weetabix goes right through Murray and is horrible to clean - really sticks to the skin! (both ends)  :-X
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 16:35:21 pm »
Hi Becky,

I'm trying to give LJ lots of different foods so don't give he me the same thing every day. We are also doing baby led weaning so she is feeding herself - lots of finger foods. Breakfast so far for us can be: weetabix, dry Cheerios, toast with lightly spread unsalted butter, porridge fingers (porridge and milk mixed put in bowl and flattened out and microwaved for 2 mins on high. Then cut into fingers and left to cool), Fruit.

Planning on trying pancakes soon.

My thoughts are that you can give them anything as they are not yet programmed to expect certain foods for breakfast.  That said, I did give LJ brocolli once and it just went on the floor. It was the first time, bless her, but she has loved it every time since - and not at breakfast I might add.

Xx