Author Topic: Which milk alternative can I use for 12mo?  (Read 4423 times)

Offline mokey_cat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Which milk alternative can I use for 12mo?
« on: November 16, 2011, 21:52:24 pm »
Hi everyone

Im looking to start giving DD milk in a cup now, she hardly drinks any formula except a small bottle at night and completely refuses her formula if in a cup.  She is sensitive to dairy and gets excema, sore tummy etc so we avoid cows milk, cheese, yogurts etc.  What soya milk is she able to have.  In her cereal etc we use alpro soya but I think its quite low fat  :-\ so was not sure if this could be used as a main drink?  Are there better alternatives?  Its a nightmare getting her to have any calcium!!

TIA  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Which milk alternative can I use for 12mo?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 22:46:02 pm »
As you are in the UK I think soy or calcium enriched oat milk are readily available. Coconut milk is also recommended on here a lot but haven't found it yet! Rice milk is NOT recommended.

Not sure on the fats in soya milk. I know oat is low so I maybe sure Olly has plenty of fats elsewhere - avacado, salmon etc.

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 00:41:57 am »
Soy milk is all low fat, no matter what brand. High in protein though. We use organic soy milk (So Nice brand) for Dylan and supplement fats in other ways. I use avocado, fattier cuts of meat, coconut milk is cooking and coconut oil in baking.

If she's tolerating the soy milk you're using now I would just carry on TBH and add supplementary fats into her diet. I found coconut milk and oil in the allergy/gluten free/organic section of our grocery store and a local health food store. xx
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:40:06 am »
We did soy milk from about 18 months and made sure to get the extra fats in her diet...I did get alot of flak from the health nurse as apparently here it is recommended for mpi babies to be on soy formula until 2 years old!  I did actually end up putting her back on formula once a day as she was self limiting her diet to the point it was hard to hide the good fats in it! Flax oil or ground flax is another good one, I add the ground stuff to pancakes and she used to not notice if I stirred a little flax oil in her applesauce.
Heidi

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 13:08:43 pm »
My ds has coconut milk that has calcium added and he really likes it. I get it from Tesco, it is kept in same place as the rice milk and oat milk at our store.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 14:39:40 pm »
We use the red Oatly (caluim enriched one) - dietician said it was fine as Murray never had weight-gain issues (it is low in fat)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 18:56:47 pm »
Coconut milk can be found in tescos and holland and barret the main brand name is Kara, it is also very healthy for mummys I drink it as on slimming world I can have 400ml of it (more then you can have of skimmed milk!) so ALOT healthier then Rice milk

Shops do there own brand calcium enriched soya milk, they reccomend unsweetened as sweetened has added apple juice so its not ideal on the peggy wegs

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 19:14:52 pm »
I assume your LO is fine with soya? A number of people who can't tolerate dairy struggle with soya too - it used to give Murray a burnt bottom, and, sometimes, loose stools too.  My brother, though, had tonnes of soya milk and was always fine with it.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 19:35:16 pm »
That is interesting Louisa - it can't be that high in fat then if it is good for losing weight! I always thought of coconut milk as being really high in fat  ??? always steer clear of thai green curry when watching the calories!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 22:01:26 pm by Buntybear »

Offline mokey_cat

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 21:49:36 pm »
Thanks everyone!!

She is fine with soya milk in cereal, soya yogurts and margarine.  We tried a dairy trial and its been a nightmare.  She is just refusing all milk though  :-\ so Im struggling to know what i should be doing.  Today she had 2 oz of formula.

She refuses the soya milk from a cup too so I might try the oat or coconut.  I have seen the oatly one so know for sure I can get that.

Any other tips on getting more milk into this girl???   :P  Or should I concentrate on foods that are high in calcium? 

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 21:52:19 pm »
The drink is part water so its less calories then the tinned one iykwim

The fats in coconut milk are VERY healthy fats

If it has creamed coconut in it though now thats very high in calories as its pretty much coconut fat

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 22:03:28 pm »
Laura - could you try porridge? I seem to be LOADS of milk in it to get it creamy enough. I would try for high good fat and calcium foods whilst she is off milk. Of course plenty of other fluids.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 10:32:44 am »
Have you tried making milkshakes for her?  Just puree some fruit and add it to the milk (no need to add sugar or anything else).  I also used to freeze pureed melon with Murray's dairy-free formula (Neocate) and he had them as ice lollies

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:21 am »
Banana milkshakes have always been a big hit with my dd.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline mokey_cat

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 20:10:02 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas.  I have not been on BW much recently, but its so nice to come back and have you lovely ladies giving me me help!! 

I have tried the porridge with soya milk the last 2 days and managed to get her to take almost the full days calcium in that  ;D Plus some soya yogurt and custard stuff. 

I have bought the coconut milk and oat milk, but she wont have any of it so I think I might keep offering it to her with a meal to see if she eventually drinks some.  I would prefer to do the oat or coconut as my DD1 seems to get rotten excema when she has soya milk so if I could get one that they both could have it would be great.

Im going to try the smoothies tomorrow, and hopefully make some ice lollies too (great idea!!!) when I can find the wee sticks.

Is it likely to be a phase or do you think she just does not like milk anymore?  She is a teeny wee thing and I worry about her growth, but developmentally she is doing well so I guess I should try and not worry so much  ::)