Author Topic: Nutramigen  (Read 2367 times)

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 17, 2011, 21:02:42 pm »
Can anyone help me with Nutramigen. LO is 21 weeks or 17 weeks ajusted. He has been taking this milk for 12 days now (As paediatrician said we had to try it for 2 weeks) and I am not sure what difference I am looking for? He is not drinking any more than he was. (24 oz in 24 hrs) He is less windy I think i.e. trumping. His trumps smell less and his poo is less green but he was on cow and gate comfort before and I think that makes them like that? I think the new milk may be too thin and the gavi is not enough to thicken it? He is bringing some back up sometimes now and he didn't do that before. I have upped the amount of gavi and am putting it in every feed which I didn't before and now he is finding it hard to poo. I am putting fennel tea in the milk to get him to drink it which is helping I think but is that what is making him trump less and not the milk?
Can anyone tell em about their experiences with this milk please?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Nutramigen
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 13:49:25 pm »
Hi Dizzy,

Sorry I haven't used this milk before either but I know some have on this forum. As for what differences you should notice I guess it really depnds on what symptoms he had before? Is he MSPI?

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 19:41:41 pm »
What is MSPI sorry I am thick! or just too tired to think.
he has silent reflux but not severe and hardly drinks any milk during the day but drinks at night. We are using infant gavi.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 21:49:21 pm »
MSPI is milk soy protein intolerance - the most common reason LOs are put on milks like Nutramigen  :)

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:03:07 am »
No idea, the paed said we should try this milk for 2 weeks before coming back to see her. Before having this milk he was on comfort milk. He is now pooing more often and trumping a bit less, he is less smelly and poo a bit less green (that bit I think is the comfort). He does less trumping which is accompanied by a squeal.
He is drinkingless than he drank on comfort and it is thinner and the gavi doesn't thicken that well. I have had to add fennel tea to make him drink it whcih may be helping with the trumping and counter balancing the constipation from the gavi. We have a week until see the paed and am ready to give up. I know when I see her she wil tell me to try solids as she tried to tell me tht last time we went. He is 21 weeks or 17 adjusted and I don't think he is ready for it. He drinks about 24 oz in 24 hrs and 3 quarters of that is on bedtime, df and 3.30 am feeds, which I would love to stop but can't as he doesn't drink it in the day instead.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 18:57:08 pm »
Hi,

I can only assume that she has suggested that milk as she suspects a milk intolerance or allergy  ??? I would certainly ask her why.

Have a look at these threads and see if your LO was displaying any symptoms....

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=210586.0

Offline Kirhei

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:00:01 am »
My DD is on Nutramigen as well. The paed says she prefers to give this formula to reflux babies as many reflux babies have intolerances to milk and/or soy.
My DD gets one bottle of this formula per day and in the beginning she would not take it. It sure does smell awful. We noticed that warming it up a bit makes it go down better for her.
The paed said if after a week she would not accept it we could try another brand.

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 19:48:45 pm »
I'm a little late on this thread but I just wanted to add that Nutramigen is a hydrolysate formula, meaning that it is still milk based but made up of partially broken down milk protein chains, instead of the full protein chains found in "regular" formula.  This means it is easier for babies to digest.  There are a number of babies who have milk/soy protein intolerances who have reflux, so maybe since your LO was having trouble with reflux your doctor wanted to see if Nutramigen would help since often times once a milk soy protein intolerance is under control reflux subsides or lessens.  I would ask though.
Also, she probably wanted you to try two weeks because if your LO does have a milk soy protein intolerance it takes some time for the proteins from his previous formula to leave his system and for things to improve.  So if you can try to stick it out for the two weeks.
Good luck!
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 20:17:25 pm »
What differences should I see though? He isn't drinking any more but he does poo more regularly and doesn't trump as much?