Author Topic: Very difficult feeding 3 month old....  (Read 6258 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Very difficult feeding 3 month old....
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 20:27:19 pm »
Great news hun!  $175 is a small price to pay for a happy and healthy baby :)

Offline Ambinsi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:11 am »
Yes, I can't thank you all enough. What does NHS mean???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 08:33:31 am »
NHS = National Health Service! It's the UK health system, everone who works pays contributions from their salary and then all our health care is free. We don't pay to see Drs or for hospital treatment of any kind. Nationwide children's medication (including the reflux formula my two were prescribed) is free up to 16, in England adults pay a charge for prescription items but I live in Wales and our Governing body has made prescriptions free for everybody. You can still choose to pay privately as waiting times can be long, but most people use the NHS.

It has it's problems, but the NHS is really great.

Laura

Offline Ambinsi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:31 am »
Just wanted to update....looks we're having difficult feedings yet again :(  We had a great spell of drama-free feedings and I can tell the reflux is rearing its ugly head yet again. My pediatrician warned me that at DS's weight they tend to outgrow the 15mg dose and have to go to the 30....we're there. Hopefully once again we can get it under control - but at least now I know its reflux and that alone makes me feel better. When I didn't know what was going on I was losing my mind.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 08:30:35 am »
Aww {{HUGS}}

It's such a shame when you think things are getting better, but you are right at least you know what's causing it. Hope this passes quickly for you.

Laura

Offline Ambinsi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 03:08:59 am »
Back here again, unfortunately.

We've been on the 30mg dose of Prevacid with Axid at night and I felt like things were great. He usually takes a break during feeding and resumes the bottle maybe 10 mins later, but he was finishing bottles with no fussing. He seemed to have such an appetite that my pediatrician suggested starting him on cereal on the spoon.

Then....the past few days have been tough. He would start out drinking great, then slow down, then get annoyed and tired and would fight the rest of the bottle. I took that as a sign to up the flow of the nipple. That worked great for a day or two, now we're having some resistance again.

What he's doing is drinking about 3 oz, then stopping and literally pushing my hand away. If I try to bring the bottle toward his mouth he will push me away or karate chop me. I am not kidding - its funny but makes for very stressful feedings. I'm trying to give him breaks, and then resume. I have mixed success. I just don't know what's causing this behavior. He's not fussing while feeding and my pedi assured me that at his weight, he should be good at this dose of Prevacid for awhile and might even outgrow the reflux at this dose. I'm not sure this is reflux-related....although I didn't think it last time either and it turned out to be the case.

Do you think that he's just enjoying some new-found control of his arms and hands? He's been reaching and grabbing toys and he's starting to put things in his mouth. I think he's realizing he can control his hands, kwim??

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 04:14:45 am »
Could be that he has new-found control of those arms or it could be that he isn't all that hungry when you are offering a bottle...

Is he on a 4 hr EASY?

Offline Lolly

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 08:42:16 am »
I agree with Kara, he may not be hungry enough - what EASY do you have him on at the moment? How much solids is he acyually having and how are you timing it with the milk feeds?

Laura

Offline Ambinsi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 02:52:55 am »
Well, the "solids" weren't going well. And by solids I mean a little rice cereal mixed with formula, very thin, on the spoon. Maybe I wasn't trying it at the best time (too hungry and wanted bottle, or whatever) but it seemed that he got very upset whenever I attempted to feed him that way. He would cry. I had one successful feeding with him but even then, I only got a few spoonfuls in before he started getting annoyed. I remember having this with my DD, she wasn't interested in plain cereal on the spoon and didn't really develop a love of solids until she started experiencing fruits and veggies. But my pedi wants to take it slow since we've had tummy troubles so I haven't tried f&v yet. My timing hasn't been consistent, I'm overwhelmed with DD and DS (16 months apart - HELP) so I've been trying to just feed him the cereal when I have some down time, so far its not really working. Today I didn't even attempt at all.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded response but basically I'm saying that I don't think that's interfering with the bottle because its practically non-existent.

For the most part he's on a 4 hour EASY but there are times he seems like he's ready to eat earlier. Maybe when I think he's ready before the 4 hour mark I need to try to distract or soothe him in other ways if I can. Its hard with DD, his crying sets her off and I'm trying so hard to keep everyone calm and happy that sometimes I do feed him a bit early, as to not upset everyone. But maybe I do need to try to hold him off. This isn't always the case but it does happen.

I'm going to really keep track of our day tomorrow and report back. That way I can give you an accurate account of feeding times, naps, etc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:55:31 am by Ambinsi »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 04:20:47 am »
Hugs hun - 16 months is so close together!  Have you been on the 2 under 2 board at all - loads of other moms there with little ones close together ;)

I would cut the cereal for now if you aren't being consistent with it anyways... his appetite is of concern now and we need to keep milk first.

Maybe try going back to the 4 hr feeds and see how he does first??