Author Topic: Best solids for 4.5 month old?? (told to wean by Paed GI)  (Read 1880 times)

Offline C&B&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Best solids for 4.5 month old?? (told to wean by Paed GI)
« on: November 18, 2011, 21:14:51 pm »
Hi all

DD has got pretty severe silent reflux and is on a high dose of ppi.  Today I saw a paediatric gastroenterologist (I think the top guy at our children's hospital - so knows what he's talking about!) and one of things he advised was that we start solids as soon as we can.  He has referred to us to a dietitian as Ev is MSPI so we need to wean her dairy free, and he also wants to check I am eating the right things as I am BF.  BUT, obviously this appt is not going to come through for a good few weeks - and I need to know what to give in the meantime.  I would rather not give cereals - so would it be veggies or chicken or  ????.  I feel totally clueless as we did BLW with DS at 6 months!!  I would be in no hurry to wean her under normal circumstances, and am not particularly concerned about her having much variety as she is still only so little...plenty of time for her to get to 3 normal meals a day!

Thanks for any advice or BTDT

x
Claire x

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Best solids for 4.5 month old?? (told to wean by Paed GI)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 21:59:49 pm »
Hi Hun as far as I know, fruit and veg are best for early weaning. Pear is a good safe one, banana unless she has constipation issues, apple, papaya, carrot. Avoid wind inducing vege such as broccoli, and I found sweet potato to be a big no no with my silent reflux/mpi baby. Do you have Annabel Karmel Baby and Toddler meal planner? That's got an excellent intro to weaning, although she does suggest things like cauliflower and green beans at 5mo which I'm not sure about. Steer clear of meat and fish for now (I'd say til 6mo but obv your dietician will know best in E's case) Good luck :-*
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 18:21:40 pm »
Hi, no advice but I have heard that thickeners are good? I only BF due to allergies but I assume they go in bottles. Do you give any bottles of EBM?

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:45:30 am »
Thanks for the replies  :)

Yes, we already use a thickener for every feed - I just give her infant gaviscon in a syringe. 

TBH I am trying to hold out a couple more weeks as I really do not think she is ready  :-\.  I've got the AK book - I just didn;t think to look in it  ::)!
Claire x

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »
Def have a look when you're ready to wean, loads of great info in the intro :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline kerry,(kaceys mum)

• Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 14:42:29 pm »
I weaned mine on stuff like apple,pear,,corgetts, jersey royals,,turnip,,carrot,,,, I did all the cooking in one night,,took about an hour but had a months worth of food there that I put into ice cube trays and froze,,,then just took out as and when needed,,,,, I got the idea from the gina ford book for feeding solids!x
Kacey. 06/02/2007
Kayla.  20/09/2008
Robbie 07/02/2012

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 18:51:20 pm »
Best to stay off acidic foods that can irritate reflux - tomatos, some fruits etc. I think that pear is a good one.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 20:20:58 pm »
My LO had reflux (though a milder case than your LO) & is also MPI & we weaned him at 5 months.  His faves were parsnip puree, carrot, sweet potato, swede - any root veg really.  I just used to steam them until they were really soft & then add a little formula/water & puree to a smooth consistency.