Author Topic: Ideas for high cal first foods for a holiday?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline buttonbaby

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Ideas for high cal first foods for a holiday?
« on: November 17, 2011, 21:39:09 pm »
DS is 8 mths and small…13lb…under the 0.4th centile and he has just started taking solids a few weeks ago (on a high calorie formula since about 10 weeks old and drinks small amount so weight gain on that is slow too)…spat everything out first and now takes what ever I offer…have done a  few days on each of the first foods and so far so good…. spoke to dietician today and she said to offer things high in cal..so potatoe mashed with other veg, yoghurt or custard with pureed fruit etc..rather than the fruit or veg alone and when giving something with milk(eg. babyrice) use the high cal formula.

WE are going on holidays for a week and I am trying to think of foods high in calories that are easy to travel with or that can be got everywhere…..any ideas?

Wondering about bananas and advocado…Ds has had both 4 days in a  row and no problems but are they high in calories?
Yoghurts would be handy but not good to travel with plus not sure I would get ones for babies on holidays (Tenerief).
Also may not be easy to puree fruits as we are staying in hotel so wont have facilities so any ideas on that?
Any other ideas appreciated?

TIA :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 21:47:07 pm by buttonbaby »
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Ideas for high cal first foods for a holiday?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 22:18:37 pm »
Avacados are full of good fats and so a great way to get calories in. I think bananas are going to be a good choice too.

No idea what foods they will have in Tenerife! Guess he could eat what you are eating? Personally I would take a load of those Ella's kitchen pouches  ;)

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 22:22:41 pm »
Thanks buntybear...was wondering abut them...haven’t used then since dd wa a young un and then it was just fruit or veg ...not necessarily high cal...but think they do more now so will look into them..thanks
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 22:26:39 pm »
Oh just looked them up...much better variety now...a few that would do..could also get bananas and avocadoes too so not just using pouches.
They have a sweet potato one would sweet potoe be the same calories wise as regular potatoes?
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 22:28:36 pm »
I would imagine that sw pots are higher in calories as they are higher in naturals sugars/carbs. The Ella's kitchen puches are a complete meal if you can get the stage 2 ones. You DS should be old enough for them now maybe? I still use them now as a pasta sauce!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 22:29:36 pm »
Personally I would take a load of those Ella's kitchen pouches
I was going to suggest those!  I don't really used jars and stuff but Ellas are amazing.  They do a really lovely veg and lentil pouch which M still loves and it is full of calories.  They do other meal type pouches for 7 months +.  So you could do cereal with high cal formula and fruit pouch for brekkie.  And then a savoury and sweet pouch for lunch and dinner. 

The ellas pouches are all organic and the packaging is BPA free xx

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 22:38:38 pm »
With dd I never used jars but loved the Ellas kitchen stuff..she used them for ages...esp handy for traveling...will go shopping before we head off and plan ds's food for the week based on the ones I can get..veg and lentil pouch sounds good...hope I can get that..will take a lot of stress out of the hol and out of packing!

Thanks to you both for your replies!
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:10 am »
Avocados are loaded with healthy fats. And they taste great when combined with bananas as well. A medium size avocado contains approximately 322 calories and up to 30 grams of fat!

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 14:22:43 pm »
Good to know about Advocados..can get them over there I am sure.
Stocked up on some high cal EK pouches..will get what I can that is suitable overthere and food should ot be a prob..thanks so much for all the replies!
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona