Author Topic: What fruits (if any) for a silent refluxer about to start weaning...?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18

My DD is a mild silent refluxer, controlled with Gaviscon. I've read the foods to avoid list in the FAQs, but wondered what fruits are ok to give - if any? They all seem pretty acidic now that I think about it (apart from maybe bananas?) so should i just stick to root veggies when we start weaning and leave fruits out?

Are things like avocado ok to give? Not very acidic but very fatty which I know in adults can flare up acid heartburn so was wondering if it's the same for babies.

And do you find that fruits in things like baby cereals / porridge (i.e. peachy porridge) are ok? I know there's a certain amount of experimentation here, but would rather avoid having her in pain if I can while we find our way through this.

Any advice or links to helpful threads of recommendations of books to buy would be really appreciated.  :)

Rachel. x

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: What fruits (if any) for a silent refluxer about to start weaning...?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 20:19:40 pm »
Hi,

My DD2 also had some mild silent reflux and what I'm about to share I have no scientific proof of, but it's a theory I came up with myself when starting DD on solids.

One of my close friends have an illness of the bladder which means she cannot eat ANY acidic foods or her pain will increase dramatically. She lives by a very strict diet where she has to avoid all acidic foods and the only fruits she can eat are pears and blueberries. So I figured if pears are safe fot her to eat, they must be very mild for refluxers' tummis too :) They are also a food very often used in the beginning of intro'ing solids (Tracy suggested starting with pears too if I remember right?) so I would think pears are a good thing for you to give. Blueberries can be constipating so wouldn't give that if your DD reacts with harder poos when you've started solids, like some babies do, but you could always try it and see.

Not sure about the avocadoes... or porridge.

Hope it all goes well!

/Vick x
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:14 am »
We did better with oatmeal than rice because of constipation.  Sweet potatoes were a BIG mistake until much later.  Tummy pain and lots of gas.  Fruits did not seem to cause much trouble for us.  I think one thing that helped was I mixed a bit of oatmeal with whatever I was giving her.  The thicker texture seemed to help.     
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:10 am »
Thanks girls. So confusing...! Vick - I've heard that about pears so probably a good place to start. And  Jenn, good idea about mixing fruit with oatmeal - I guess it would help to reduce the acidity.  I've not tried baby rice yet, only a bit of porridge which I think is the same as what you'd call oatmeal.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to tip toe around her silent reflux when it got to weaning but her reaction to sucking on a bit of apple yesterday worried me (she loved it, then screamed the house down half way through her nap which is very unlike her. Can't put it down to much more than the apple although it could have been something else I guess.) I am almost certain that the health visitors / GP will be absolutely no use on this subject as they don't seem to pay much attention to reflux.

Thanks,
Rachel.

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 18:44:29 pm »
we've not had any trouble with fruit except for plums.  My dd also has MSPI, but she's had pears, apples, blueberries, cherries, peaches, and apricots.  She's also been fine with avocados, sweet potatoes, squash and carrots.  We just started her on rice cereal, and that's been fine for her as well.  I've just gone slowly and kept a good eye on her reactions.
Michelle