Author Topic: Which is the best meal to start with?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Keep Smiling!

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 23, 2011, 17:01:23 pm »
Hi

My LO is 5 months and we have started to think about weaning. She can hold her head up and sit up supported and she is also very interested in what I am eating! I tried her with some baby porridge and baby rice the other day but she really didn't seem interested and so I stopped.

However I'm not sure if it's normal to resist at first or if maybe she didn't like the porridge/rice (it is fairly grim!!) So I thought I would try again next week and maybe try some purée carrot? But I'm not sure what time of day I should give her it? I had given her the porridge an hour after her morning bottle but thought I'd try after her 11am bottle, around midday?

If she turns away and pulls faces again do I persevere or stop again? I don't want to force her but am aware she needs to be eating some solids by 6 months. She has never been a big eater though (only has about 6oz every 4 hours and sleeps through the night).Any advice appreciated!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Which is the best meal to start with?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 18:46:10 pm »
Hi, I think it is recomended to start with some food at lunch - that way if they react you can see in the daytime.

If she resists I would just leave it and try again in a few days. There is absolutley no pressure at this age that they eat.  :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 19:00:20 pm »
I started with a late breakfast around 10am which worked out with approximate nap times and feed times (but I was feeding on demand so it was kind of approximate.)  I started at that time for the reasons above so I could see any reaction - intestinal / rash etc just in case and hopefully then it wouldn't disturb his night time sleep.

We took our time building up to three meals as well.  There's no rush.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 13:43:39 pm »
we started with bfast around 8am but we also do lunch about 12pm some days if that fits in better with our days.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 18:16:10 pm »
Lunch  :)

That way they are well-rested and not over hungry, and if they react you have enough time before evening that it won't cause problems overnight.

There is no rush to start with solids - here it's reccomended that you don't start until 6mo. Some babies aren't interested until 8mo, but that is fine as long as they are drinking plenty of milk (formula or BF).

We started a week before he turned 6mo with veggies and fruit - he was interested by then but wasn't before!

Offline Keep Smiling!

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:37:27 am »
Thank you so much! I think I'll try again this week with some carrot. I'll just take it really slowly and if she resists again then I'll stop for a while. She just stares so intently at what I eat and tries to put it in her mouth that I feel like I'm depriving her!! I'm just goin to stick to vegetables if she likes it then move onto some fruit! Thanks again x