Author Topic: Any other cures for chronic constipation  (Read 1344 times)

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: November 24, 2011, 16:29:05 pm »
Hi,
My 7 months old started solids about a month ago and is always constipated.  When EBF only pooped every 4 days or so, therefore I wasn't too conserned at first but after solids her poop got thicker (peanut consistency) but she was still pooping every few days even though not a lot but my LO didn't seem  bothered by it.  This Saturday she went 8 days without pooping and started to get very fussy so I gave her glycerin suppository and within an hour she had a poop (very hard, bloody)and that same day she contined to poop two more times.  5 days later she hasn't pooped again and tried the following since:
bicycle legs
give water with solids
give prunes, since yesterday peas (due to high fiber)

She's eating the following squash, sweet pot, green beans, pears,  chicken, prunes, peas.  Have cut out sweet pot since read in a post it can be costipating but it seems that babies react to foods differently. AGGGHHH so am at a loss in terms what to give her next.

Any advice on massage techniques or anything else that might help.  Am avoiding grains until she's closer to a year.  Also can constipation worsen spit ups?

Thanks

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Any other cures for chronic constipation
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 19:19:24 pm »
Any reason for avoiding grains?  Most HCPs now recommend introducing allergenic foods earlier than they used to.

Also have you tried a dried apricots and apple puree?  Here's a recipe for fruit purees:

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/02/some-more-fruit-purees.html

I always found if I gave that it would loosen him up.  I always found sweet potato to be constipating too (and banana).  

I think constipation in adults can make you vomit so it would make sense it would increase spit ups.  Have you tried seeing a doctor?  I always found fruit generally (apart from bananas) made things looser; meat thickened things up.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 19:36:35 pm »
Constipation and spit up may mean intolerances, perhaps you could post on the allergies board. I don't want to worry you but severe constipation can lead to poo withholding even in babies as they associate doing a BM with pain, if it doesn't get better very soon I would see the doc. My dd only started going to the toilet without drama this year whe she was 4! Another thing that can help is making sure she is getting plenty to drink as extra fibre can make things worst by clogging up the system  :P
Katt

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 19:48:58 pm »
I am worried about the poo withholding.  I have noticed that she does strain and grunt and I'm thinking she is pooping but nothing happens except sometimes she passes gas.

Should I give her the glycerin suppository if she doens't go in the next day or so?  Although I don't want her to get used to it, I don't want her to be in so much pain again.

I have a doctor's app in three weeks maybe I'll see if I can move it up.

How much water would you recommend?  I'm BF about 4/5 times a day and offer water with solids twice a day. 

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 20:22:41 pm »
eek, I am not sure about the water, I just used to breastfeed after my dd ate solids but she was doing BLW so was not eating so much. She was MSPI and as a baby the doc told me that since she has experienced so many painful poos (she was only 8 weeks at this time!) she would have associated the pain with BMs so a 7 month old would definitley make the connection. I don't know about the suppository either, I think it is best to speak with your doc, if you can't get an earlier appointment can you get a phone consultation?
Katt

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 22:12:02 pm »
I would def get in and see a doc if there was blood in her poop - that is just me though. We were given a liquid to give Olly when he was a bit bunged but they will be able to advise on how much and for how long you should give it.

On the potential allergies front - is there anything else that would make you think there was an allergy or intolerance? Eczema, vomiting etc?

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 23:22:06 pm »
I made a doc appointment for next week and also called health services here in Ontario (Canada) and was told to continue offering fruit purees and apple/pear juice and wait couple of more days to see any effects.  Also to try a warm bath (which my lo gets every evening) or gently massage anus with warm cotton ball.

In terms of eczema, I noticed few weeks ago that she has two dry and red blotches on her face.  It's located were she has her fingers pressed against her face as she sleeps.  When she wakes from her nap she usually has a hand print on her face and assumed the blotches are from saliva as she sucks her thumb.  Hmmm wonder if its food related but can't remember if she already had it before solids were introduced.

She always spat up and it did get better around 5 months or so.  I also gave her avocado and egg yold whick caused more spit ups so those foods I've stopped.  She doesn't have a lot of spit just a bit here and there when she burps.  Becasue of the spit ups in the past i'm reluctant to introduce grains especially gluten as my DD1 always had a reaction up to 10 months or so when she would tolarate rice (i was also on gluten free diet with her).  My dd2 seems to be better in terms of gassiness/spit ups but i always suspected there was a bit of reflux but my doc adviced to let her outgrow it as she didn't seem to be much bothered by it.

Thanks for your advise...I will try pear juice tomorrow and hopefully things will get moving soon