Author Topic: Looking for support - toddler eating making me cry every day :-(  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Looking for support - toddler eating making me cry every day :-(
« on: November 24, 2011, 20:12:01 pm »
I have read all the websites possible for fussy eaters and have tried all the suggestions going. But I am constantly worried about my 2 year old's eating and feel insanely guilty that it is something I have created. Pretty much every night after he goes to bed his eating makes me cry.

A typical day of eating is as follows:

Breakfast - cereal, yoghurt, piece of toast
Snack - occasionally will eat an apple or some blueberries
Lunch - picks at a cheese sandwich, some organic crisps, raisins
Snack - I try not to give a snack but may offer what's left of lunch
Dinner - pretty much asks to get down from the table before he even knows what dinner is. THe only food he will eat for dinner is homemade chicken balls, fish fingers and cocktail sausages. Sometimes I offer a yoghurt or a small bowl of ice cream. He will not eat enything I serve the chicken/fish/sausage with (ie potato, chips, peas, beans).

THis is all he eats. I make homemade fish fingers and sausages as I'm conscious of salt/additive intake of frozen food but he refuses them point blank.

I have tried limiting snacks, limiting fluid, just taking the plate away no fuss, making him sit there until he tries something (which just ends up in just crying at the table until bedtime - he's stubbon!)

His speech and understanding is good and it is definitely a control thing.

His weight has dropped just below his growth line and he often looks pale although he does have a lot of energy. He does still have high sleep needs (will sleep 12 hours at night and have a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon).

I am really upset with myself for making him picky. I have always made him seperate homemade food (he never ate anything from a jar) but this meant that the range of food he has eaten has been limited. Up to about a year old he would eat pretty much anything he was given. But then in this last year he developed an issue with soft food (eg mashed potato, pasta and sauce, rice pudding) and would only eat with his fingers (hence the fish fingers and sausages which he can pick up).

I guess there isn't anything different anyone can suggest to try but really feel like I need some BW support. I also have a 6 month old who has been eating for about a month and has a good appetite. I had hoped that seeing her eat would make DS eat too but he just sits and watches her eat without eating himself :-(

DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline j.and.e

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Looking for support - toddler eating making me cry every day :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 20:24:07 pm »
My ds is similar, and wont eat 'dinner'. Occasionaly he eats his favourites! I think its totally normal. It looks like ur ds is getting lots of healthy snacks, and dont worry! I try to encourage my DS to try his dinner, he often helps me cook, and i even tried swapping lunch and dinner in case he was too tird to eat. Now i just give him a small portion, encourage him to try, and dont stress. It sounds like ur offering him lots of healthy choices Xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 20:33:20 pm »
{{{hugs}}}

I know how stressful it is.  At this age the most important thing is to not get into offering a meal and then replacing it with something preferred if they refuse what you have made.

I see you have tried alot of things.  Have you tried just offering him what you are having?  So no catering to his favourites except for when you would have had them yourself in the week?   He seems to eat a great breakfast which is good. 

I think it is normal though for LOs to eat loads in the early part of the day and then not so much at dinner.  I know my toddler did that for ages. 

What volume of liquids is he drinking in the day?  Is that having an effect?   Does he tolerate non-preferred foods being on the plate with the things he likes ok or does he want them off? 

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 20:58:00 pm »
((((hugs))) I know how hard this is too and most likely it is not your fault. My DS1 was (and still is ::)) a really picky eater, whilst DS2 will try pretty much anything. If there was any difference between the way I treated/fed the 2 of them it is that I was way more relaxed with DS2 - I rarely monitored what he was eating (largely because I had an older more difficult child to focus on) and let him have a lot more food that was less than healthy (cake/biscuits etc - I was pretty strict with ds1). Whether any of that made any difference or whether it is just their personalities I'll never know. But I agree with you that it is probably largely a control issue, and in that regard it is probably best to ignore it as best you can, take away what he doesn't eat, don't react or get upset, and start again the next day. Just keep offering and try not to worry. And remember, NO child will ever, ever starve themselves!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 21:13:00 pm »
{{{Hugs for you}}}

I've never experienced what you are going through but I know people that have and it is very worrying for the parents.

I agree with Shiv, let him eat what you are eating. I have done baby led weaning with both of mine and they eat exactly what we do. Yes we have to watch the salt intake but generally we keep it low by cooking most food fresh. My two LOVE chilli and kidney beans, I have a great recipe that I make from scratch so I can control the chilli input! If you want the link give me a shout.

Where does he sit? Have you tried him on a little childrens table with a little chair? He might not like where he's sitting?

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 21:42:14 pm »
It is so stressful when they do this!

Firstly, it is not your fault and not something that you have done. It's a phase that a lot of them go through, and he would almost certainly have done it anyway whatever you did.

Secondly, what he is eating really doesn't look that bad. It might not seem like very much, but it is all healthy. As shiv says, it is great that he eats such a good breakfast - could your maybe add some blueberries or chopped banana to his cereal to get some more fruit in him?  I would imagine that he eats best at breakfast because he is properly hungry, so you have a chance to make the most of that. Remember, there isn't a rule that says you have to have cereal for breakfast - you could maybe try some new foods then when he is more likely to try them because he is hungry.

Thirdly, I agree with shiv that it is really important to make sure that you don't start offering him alternatives. He will not starve himself, no matter what it looks like to you, and the problems really start when you start desperately offering them other things in a bid to get them to eat something.

I went through this exact thing with dd1 - she was a fantastic eater and would eat absolutely anything that was put in front of her, and then she stopped eating. She always had a really good breakfast too, but the rest of her meals were really hit and miss - she lost over 1.5kg. We had a small range of meals that she would eat, so I gave those to her regularly, but I also made sure that she was being offered other foods as well to make sure that she didn't get totally caught in a rut, iyswim. Lunch was generally fairly snacky anyway, but I would make her a different supper 2-3 times a week and I just accepted that she wasn't going to eat on those days. Sometimes she would try a little bit, but I took that as a victory rather than having it as an expectation. Gradually she grew out of it, and now she asks to try food that she hasn't eaten before, and will tell me if she starts liking something that she didn't used to like.

It took me a while to work it out, but our food issues coincided with the arrival of dd2, and I'm guessing from your post that your issues have come about just before or since your baby. I think that the arrival of a sibling can be such a big thing where control is completely removed from them and their world is turned upside down that they turn to food as the only thing that they have control over. If you think about it, food is a big thing, and they work out pretty quickly how much we care if they eat. There is also the fact that they get quite a lot of attention when they are not eating and we are trying to persuade them, which is a big deal in a house with a small baby. From my experience, this is just something that you have to work through, and the main thing is to make sure that you don't make mistakes that make the problem worse - and it doesn't sound to me like you are doing.

One other thing you can do is to try to hide veggies in things - given that you make so much of his food yourself, I'm sure that you could find recipes that will hide veggies in them. Also, we gave dd1 those Ella's kitchen vegetable pouches (the baby food ones) to make sure she was getting them - she absolutely loved them, so you could maybe try that.

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 22:02:46 pm »
Thanks Clazzat. I certainly don't offer any alternatives and no pudding if he hasn't even tried his dinner. So the last few nights he has gone to bed with no food. Doesn't seem to bother him.

Not sure the arrival of DD has affected the eating. I would say his eating has been like this certainly for a good few months before she arrived and he adores her so there is no animosity or attention seeking going on. Can't know for sure though!

The issue I do have now is that he won't eat my home cooked foods (apart from the chicken balls which are major hassle to make!!!!). I can't hide veggies in cocktail sausages!! I have tried him with mini pizzas (with or without extra toppings on) but this is mainly refused (apart from the M&S ones lol!)

He will eat the Ellas kitchen blueberry pouches and the innocent smoothies but these are soooo expensive to rely on every day. Especially when I know I could make the smoothies/purees for a fraction of the proce but he wouldn't eat them in a bowl. He won't even drink a smoothie from my glass even if he's seen me pour it from his carton!
DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:30 am »
Yeah, the pouches are expensive - when dd1 was having them they were half the price!

Will he eat mini pizzas if you make them? You could make them together and make a tomato sauce with lots of veggies puréed in it.

It could still be linked to the baby even though it started before - if you think about it, things start to change several months before the baby arrives (you look different and can't do all the things you used to, baby things are brought out etc). I'm not trying to insist that I'm right, btw, but just trying to say that if it is related to that then it passes as they adjust. And my dd absolutely adored her little sister, no issues whatsoever with jealousy etc, but she still struggled with this huge transition, yk

Offline kerry,(kaceys mum)

• Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:41 am »
My kids have always ate what we eat,,,,I never make them a separate meal,,,,my friend always did what you did with making ds food seperate,,, her lo's are now 13 and 8 and won't eat a proper meal. She's making them sausages,,,smiley face potatos and beans that I just find is crazy,,,,she can't take them anywere to eat as they don't like meat like beef,,,mince,,, don't like veg,,don't like fruit,,,don't like butter,,,,list is endless

If your ds won't eat what your making him anyway,,,,do you think maybe you should just give him the same as yous for dinner,,,,instead of prepairing a separate meal?? Maybe you could offer chicken balls for lunch??  I agree that his breakfast looks great,,,,I just can't see the beifit of making him seperate dinners,, your wasting your time and I feel it just going to make him even more fussy as the years go on. My kids have ate what we eat from when they were weaned,,,,they love curry and so on,,,,
Kacey. 06/02/2007
Kayla.  20/09/2008
Robbie 07/02/2012

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 09:04:04 am »
((((hugs)))) it is so tiring stressing about food. I agree with pps though, I would just give him whaty oua re having for dinner, and leave him be. Also bear in mind that he just may not be a big eater at dinner time and may prefer to eat more at breakfast and lunch and then have a little bit at dinner. As pps have said, he won't starve himself. I know it is disheartening to throw food away, but try to look at it this way, it is NOT wasted. Even if he only looks at it, it is exposure, it is teaching him 'these are the kinds of food we eat in this house at this time'. It might take 20 exposures before he has a taste and another 20 before he eats a new food.

If it helps, I have a hierarchy of activities I've done with my son since about two years old which help expose him to new foods - we go through the steps together. It only works if it's done in a playful, happy way, with no pressure, but it's really worked well for us and he is quite open to tasting new foods if we follow this sequence.
1. Touch the food (what does it feel like)
2. Pick up a piece
3. Kiss the food
4. Stick out your tongue and lick the food
5. Put a piece of food in your mouth and take it right out again
6. Bite the food in your mouth

By the time you get to step 6, the food is totally familiar in terms of smell, taste, temperature, texture - so it's actually much more likely to be accepted than just presenting a new food and saying 'put this in your mouth and bite it' right off the bat. Does that make sense?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 09:44:54 am »
It is great you aren't offering alternatives,  That will really help in the long term.  I really like Anna's hierarchy.  It works really well. 

I have always just fed my kiddos what we are having and tend to make up a weekly meal planner and go with it rahter than try and think of 7 lunches he may eat, maybe just plan your lunches/dinners and thats what it is even if it are things he doesn't eat at the minute?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:42:17 am »
Your boy sounds a lot like mine!  Although, while I don't say my DS is necessarily picky, he is selective.  Semantics, I know!! I say he is not picky because he eats all fruits and many (most) vegetables, all different kinds of bread (we are in Germany so there are dozens of different breads of different colours and textures and he will eat most of them without questioning them), and all dairy products.  Meats are a tougher one for him, he prefers processed meats (sausages, mortadella, frikadellen) or minced, such as turkey burgers or hamburgers.  So I am not overly concerned about nutrition as he gets a good variety, but he does refuse a LOT.

He will also take one look at his dinner and just ask to walk away or not touch it.  I say which part do you not like and he will just say "Not that one, not that one, not that one, not ALL of it..." even when there are many things that he DOES like...I am not sure what it is that prompts him to say that he doesn't like all of them though, we can't figure it out.

I know that the standard advice - not just here but everywhere - is to not make alternative meals for your LO, but I actually disagree with it in some regard.  I have a child who WILL and who DOES starve himself out, and would prefer to hold off for 24-36 hours until there is something given that he likes.  He will. And I can't do that.  He is at kindergarten now (preschool) and they are given a hot meal at lunch and he did eat the first 2-3 days (I think it was not wanting to stand out as differnet) but now that he is settled he just does not eat. He doesn't like the food or the look of it or whatever it is, but he won't eat. And when I pick him up he is often crying that his tummy hurts and he is starving.  Yesterday he cried the entire way home (25 minutes) because his tummy hurt and I had to make him some lunch when we got in. But then he did not like dinner either and was sobbing because he was hungry and did not like what I had made....how can you not make a child something else to eat in that situation?  I refuse to allow him to cry from hunger when we have a fridge full of food that he does like!

I'm not meaning to criticize the advice of 'they must eat what you eat/don't make them a separate meal' because I do know where everyone is coming from with that,but I think that it is one thing to say it and another thing to live it iyswim. It's not as easy as people seem to think. When you have a child reduced to gasping for breaths through their tears over not liking what the food is in front of them, it is near impossible as a mother to say calmly "sorry but this is what is for dinner." No, what you do is have your own breakdown and wipe your own tears and then make them something that they want.  And doing that is not copping-out or feeding-in to the problem or making it worse....it's making sure your children have food in their tummies.   My son ate what we ate for a LONG time and just started getting fussier, so it's not like I started out this way. He ate xyz (name your crazy shocking food for a toddler to eat) many times and just got pickier.  It happens, for whatever reason, and it has NOTHING to do with me having made him separate meals..that was not the cause of the problem, rather it developed as a survival tactic!!!!!!

I do try my hardest to make sure that every meal does include things he likes, but in that way it is still like making two meals, really.  The other night I made homemade pizza - which he does not like but DH and I wanted pizza!! - and I cooked a couple of sausages for DS. I put everything on the table for him to select what he wanted and it was a mixture of things he liked and did not like...so really, it was a meal for us and a meal for him.  And he selected the sausages, some beans and that was it. There is not much more I can do really - tell him that he needs to eat pizza or nothing and he will choose to stay hungry with the tummy ache.  :'(

One resource I have found helpful is a woman named Ellyn Satter - it was Deb in Oz who pointed me to her as she has been giving me such amazing support as I work through this stuff with my DS:  Not sure if you know her (Deb in Oz that is!) but she has started discussing the topic on her own blog this week .. http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/beyond-feeding-fussy-eaters-fears-texture-issues-and-more/   Deb outlines her own experience with feeding her one daughter and she has been supporting me over the past couple of months in working through this to stop it before it gets worse with my DS, and in helping me with the emotional side of it as a mother as well. Anyway, it was Deb that pointed me to Ellyn Satter  I don't love EVERYTHING she says but I did find that it helped me to keep a clear head and a clear focus about my DS's eating.
http://www.ellynsatter.com/the-picky-eater-i-43.html   

She does say not to make them separate meals, but one of the things she makes clear is that you need to make sure that you are putting foods out that they like.  So you make pasta for dinner and your child does not like pasta, or it is a new food or you are just for whatever reason pretty sure he is not going to eat it. You need to make sure there are other things on the table for your child to choose from, and let him fill-up on the other things if that is the case.  Her suggestion for this age is that there is a bread and butter basket as well and if your child chooses to eat 5 slices of bread for dinner and turn down the pasta, then that is fine.  Put meals out buffet style and allow him to look at everything on the table and choose what he wants to eat and how much of it.   Don't discuss with him what he has chosen or what he likes and does not like, don't comment on it, or put any pressure at all on him as to what he eats. Keep conversation around the table completely unrelated to the food. However, don't limit the food that is on the table to JUST things that your child DOES like.  On nights that we have meals that I know DS loves (which has become rare as he has started refusing to eat spag bol/pasta with meat sauce which was a night when we knew he would stuff himself full...now he is refusing and insisting he does not like it...) but on nights like that I would stick a couple of things out and put them on the table to make sure there were other things to choose from....even if it was a plate with butter and a plate with butter mixed with parsley so that there was something new to choose from.  I dump a few olives onto a plate, or some pickles...just so that the meal is not limited to things that he likes.  If that makes sense.

A big thing with us - and I wish I had started this part sooner than 3yo - was NOT COMMENTING.  My DH is horrible for it and tbh he has been since the day DS started on solids ::)  but he is working hard as well.  We say nothing about his food or what he is eating.  No comments are made on how he gets it into his mouth or what kind of mess he makes or what he chooses to eat.  There is a variety of foods on the table, take what you want and eat it how you want.   Yes there has been a major regression in table manners for DS,  but that is not important to me at this stage and are something that we will work on in the future...the eating is far more important IMO at this stage.

I think there is FAR more to it than 'just offer them your dinner and that's that' and not making separate meals.....I know that there is a basis to that advice but I have yet to find a single mother who can confidently say to me that they turned their picky eater around by just giving them food their child didn't like and eventually the child gave in and ate.  :-\ 

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 14:12:56 pm »
Mashi - what fabulous advice and how refreshing to hear. It really isn't as easy as some people think, and I don't think anyone can realise that until they have a fussy eater themselves. Reading threads like this make me feel awful about the way I feed my kids (ds1 would also starve rather than eat something he doesn't like) I too started out with such good intentions regarding eating the same meals etc, and I'm not sure exactly where it went wrong but it certainly did. :-\ :-[
I'll be checking out those links you posted, again (not my thread!) but thanks so much! :-*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 15:44:43 pm »
I found myself nodding along to everything in your post Mashi!

A big thing with us - and I wish I had started this part sooner than 3yo - was NOT COMMENTING.

This is something I've had to work hard getting DH to stop too, he is so bad for comments, or telling them there are starving children all over the world so they must eat their food up...where I am the opposite, I just don't comment, my parents never did with me so I learned from them.  I was a super selective eater as a kid (still am to an extent) so I get where they are coming from.  Supper is really our only planned meal, lunch, breakfast & snacks are a free for all as we are all grazers here!

With Spencer it has been a long road (ASD, sensory issues with food texture) of offering food and tossing it.  It took a year of me offering roast pork once a week or so for her to actually put one small bite in her mouth and eat it!  She has multiple food intolerances so her meals have to be different than ours most nights.  I stick to the go-to meals I know the kids like most of the time, and if I have a desire to make something new or non-kid pleasing, I make a big pot of rice for the kids (don't ask, my kids would eat rice over even pizza!)
Heidi

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 15:51:11 pm »
Mashi, what great advice! My DD is very selective, and she has a devil of a time even sitting on her chair properly (in fact she frequently falls off of it.) I try to give her something she likes with every meal I make, but I usually dish her food out as out kitchen table is tiny, and doesn't really have room for serving dishes. I am going to change that practice though and see what happens. I am also going to really try to resist commenting!!!
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010