Author Topic: When do you cut 4 bottles down to 3?  (Read 9380 times)

Offline shazam791

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 25, 2011, 17:09:34 pm »
My baby is 6mo and just now FINALLY getting onto the perfect 4 hour easy. 8oz Bottles at 7am, 11, 3 and 7pm
And now it's probably time for a new routine.

He eats 2-3T of solids before the first 3 bottles, and then his 7:00pm bottle is just formula. When I started solids, he would drink his whole bottle, and now that he is eating more solids, he is still polishing off his 8 oz bottle.

Do I keep doing 4 bottles? Until what age?
How do I get him onto 3 meals?
So confused, and the doc is no help.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 17:39:30 pm »
Usually it is advised to give bottles before solids to make sure that your lo is taking in all their milk. Here's a couple of links that may help :)
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68458.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=57483.0

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When do you cut 4 bottles down to 3?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 17:43:29 pm »
Formula fed babies tend to stay on 4 bottles until around 9/10 months so 4 bottles a day is right for his age. The usual pattern to move to is wake-up, afternoon and bedtime.

For now keep the 4 bottles, but what we would suggest is that milk feeds should come first and solids food is a part of A time. Until they get much closer to 1 milk needs to be their main source of nutrition and solids are for tastes and textures. By doing solids as part of A time it means that you give milk first and solids about an hour or so later, this helps to keep them hungry for the milk as you don't want them dropping any milk yet.

HTH!

Laura

Offline shazam791

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 19:27:51 pm »
Hmm,  I thought I read in the BW book that you were supposed to do solids first? I guess that is when first introducing them though, maybe? So it sounds like instead of eating every 4 hours then, he'll be having his bottles every 4 hours and then solids an hour later? That seems to be moving to a 3 hour eating schedule rather than every 5 hours? So confusing as a first time mom!

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 20:38:00 pm »
I haven't got my BW book to hand, but the advice is to do milk first to maintain the amount they take. You don't want them filling up on solids and refusing milk which is why it's always milk first until closer to 1.

At the moment it does seem like constant feeding, but if they don't eat it doesn't really matter. The idea is that as they get bigger and hungrier they need more than milk, solids are to top up thier milk intake until solids take over from milk. Really, solids don't count as an E for a while because they nutrition is still from the milk, as they drop bottles it does all space out better.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=118497.0

Laura

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:26:31 am »
shazam--I totally agree with you too...its soooo confusing! the other day I was playing on the gerber.com, they have example menus. I was just seeing how they suggest. it made it even more confusing lol!

it said you should give them 4oz in the morning, followed by breakfast, then mid-morning another 4oz bottle, then a 4oz bottle before lunch, lunch, afternoon snack/4ozbottle, 4ozbottle before dinner, dinner and evening 4ozbottle. i want to rip my hair out lol i thought u gave them a bottle about every 4 hours..doesn't seem like u can do that with the way they suggest it.
maybe im starving my baby? lol

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:30:08 am »
Don't forget that gerber is a food company - it's in their interest to get more of their food into your baby - and they are suggesting a LOT of food for a newly weaning baby.

The advice I've always followed is that milk comes first so you need to offer a full milk feed first and then solids as an additional extra about an hour later - I'd stick with the BW routines personally ;) there's no rush!

Laura

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 15:39:04 pm »
Thanks laura---I definitely am going to stick with this way. I don't see the point in forcing all those foods into the little tummies =)
I may actually try the more 4oz bottles though, just to see if she will get more ounces. she only took 4oz this morning =(

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 16:18:45 pm »
She should be taking at least 6oz at a feed by now, most 6 month+ babies are taking full bottles. Are you using the fastest flow teat?

Laura

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 18:09:48 pm »
Yeah we use the playtex fast wide nipples...its a weird phase she goes through. one week she drinks like a champ, the next week its hard to even get 20oz in her. im not sure if its the fact she has been so constipated or if she is having a flare up of reflux. she was never on meds for it cuz it was never that bad, but sometimes i think it bothers her