Author Topic: reaction to sweet potato?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
reaction to sweet potato?
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:29:47 am »
About a month ago we introduced DD to solids. We started with cereal, then squash, then sweet potato. well a few days into the sweet potato we switched formulas not thinking anything of it. She had 2 days of runny bowels so I assumed it was from the sweet potato. After I stopped giving it, she stopped having it.
Does this mean she is allergic? Should I NEVER give it to her again?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: reaction to sweet potato?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »
I would be very wary about cutting out any food without talking to a doctor.  Babies do have funny reactions to different foods sometimes which might be nothing to do with having an allergy.  Sometimes some foods have a laxative effect; some a constipating and it seems to vary from child to child what foods do what. 

It's up to you but a bit of runny poo isn't an extreme immune response so I'd be tempted to try a small amount mixed in with something else and see if she reacts to that?  If you have the same reaction again, I'd then see the docs. 

There are totally genuine food allergies out there but probably fewer than people imagine.  I'm sure some people end up ruling things out after 1 experience and that would be a shame, especially as sweet potato wedges rock!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 16:12:05 pm »
we switched formulas

I wonder could that be the issue and not the sweet potato?  Perhaps her body adjusting to the new formula? I agree that runny poo would not be enough for me to decide to never give a food again, I would for sure try a bit of it and see what happens. 
Heidi

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 18:07:17 pm »
Thank you for all of the advice. It was every morning when she woke up, I changed her diaper and it was like there was an explosion in her diaper. No consistency to it. I haven't added any new foods to her diet so maybe I will try it again. Thank you sooo much!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 18:12:11 pm »
Hope it works out for her!
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 18:12:27 pm »
I would wait until it settles down and then try again. It could have been all sorts of things that gave her those nappies  ;)