Author Topic: 9 month old on Veg strike - Help!  (Read 1202 times)

Offline alarose

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:22:42 am »
Hi all:

My almost 9 month-old DS has recently decided that any of the veggies/proteins that he previously enjoyed are not longer welcome in his diet. He will take literally two bites of his veg and then shuts right down. But if I bring in the fruit, then he can't open wide enough or get enough. He used to eat sweet potato, carrots, squash, broccoli, peas and green beans - it was great! Now I'm at a complete loss.

Should I continue to offer the veg, but fill him up on fruit so that he's eating something? Also, should I maybe be offering the veg in a format that he could eat with his fingers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 9 month old on Veg strike - Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 18:16:26 pm »
Hi,

Def do still offer the veg alongside foods he will eat. Is he just on purees now then? What about meats and carbs?

Offline alarose

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:02:09 am »
Hi! Yes, he is mostly on purees right now, along with chicken, beef and lentils for protein (all pureed). For carbs, I mix cereal in with his fruit. As of today it even seems like he doesn't want to eat anything! He keeps getting angry and reaching for the spoon. I'd love to let him feed himself...but since he's only 9mo, he doesn't actually EAT anything that way. I try to let him practice with a few different finger foods while I feed him purees, but he still won't let me really feed him past two bites. Beyond toast, pasta and cut up fruit, I'm not really sure what else to offer. Sort of frustrated because everything was going along SO well!

Sigh.

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:57 am »
HI I woulden't worry too much, until he is about a year old if he is still refusing by then maybe he will be able to feed himself? I bet it is just a phase and as long as you just continue with what your doing( offering veg. and carbs) he will get along with it soon enough. TBH it sounds like he really wants to feed himself, and like you said at this age its not very helpful:/ How long has this been going on?
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 21:58:37 pm »
I think it was around this age that Olly stopped eating anything I made him and would only eat out of a jar  ::) So many phases!

Do you let him have a spoon and then try and feed him too? They love to try and be in control at this age  ;)

Offline LouiseV

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:40 am »
I had some success when my wee man went through this same phase (SO annoying when they see the fruit coming and open wide!)

I would do apple and kumara mashed together (the only mash he really had consistently, we mostly did baby led weaning using finger foods) but I gradually increased the amount of kumara : apple ratio so he didnt notice the sweetness diminishing

Sometimes I would also start with pureed fruit but have some mashed up other vege on the side which I gradually added more and more of to the spoon. After a week or so he was back into the veges again.
First baby boy born March 2011 :)