Author Topic: refusing fruit after illness  (Read 1076 times)

Offline evav

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 29, 2011, 19:47:11 pm »
Hi there,

My almost 8 months old son had 2 heavy weeks: 2 teeth coming out, a heavy stomach-flu and now an ear-infection. He's on the better hand, but still a but grumpy.

Before all this, he would eat like a pro! Still BF at night, early morning and evening, and solids during the day: veggies before noon and fruit in the after noon.

During his flu he only had BF, then slowly after two days I started to give him solids again. He eats the veggies almost as before, but his little fruit-mash he refuses, no matter how I try to give it: cold, warm, with of without oranges, only banana, in his little chair, sitting on the ground,... I don't know what to do any more. I gave him BF in stead for a few days now, but I'm going back to work so he'll get less (my BF production when I use the pump is not so amazing...). I know he likes the fruit because he used to eat it every time. Today my mum gave him veggies in stead, and he liked it! So I'm sure he's hungry and I'm sure he's not refusing the spoon, he just really doesn't want the fruit while he used to love it...

Is it possible the taste reminds him of the flu he had (vomiting all night long...)? Or can babies suddenly change taste?! What can I try to give him in stead? Any tips about how I can get him to like fruit again?

Thanks a lot, all the way from Belgium!
Eva

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: refusing fruit after illness
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:32:33 am »
Hi Eva,
   It sounds like if he was vomiting up the fruit that he may not like it for awhile. I know once I throw something up I dont eat it agian. or at least not for a long time. Is there any kind of fruit that he has not had yet? If not I would just let it go for now maybe offer it a few times here and there to see if he gets a taste for it again.
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: refusing fruit after illness
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 21:52:48 pm »
Hi Eva from Belgium  ;D

Your poor little guy  :'( Glad he is feeling better now  :)

An illness like that combined with teething can really take it out of them. I think at 8 months you can be offering a wide variety of foods. Have you tried some finger foods too?

If you really want to get fruit in him have you tried combining it with other foods ie chicken and apricot purees, sw pot and pear etc etc