Author Topic: Brest Milk or Solids??  (Read 2018 times)

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Brest Milk or Solids??
« on: December 01, 2011, 22:10:47 pm »
So I have always been under the impression that BM for Calories sake and just in gen is much more important than solids up to 1 year old. However when I took Blake to the ped for his 6month check up she seemed to think that solids should go from 2x a day to 4x a day and that if milk intake went down that this is just fine. I am not sure how I feel about this and was hoping to get your thoughts. ? What did your doctors say? Anything you have read about it etc?
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 22:20:06 pm »
There are many more calories per oz in BM than solids especially in the early months of weaning.  I have never heard of a doctor recommending 4 meals ever.

The WHO recommend 4 BFs a day until 1 YO.  Our weaning guide recommended 3 meals from 7-8 months but milk intake really shouldn't drop much initially.

HTH x

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Brest Milk or Solids??
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 23:35:45 pm »
Thats what I have always thought too, she suggested that more solids would help him sttn when I told/asked her about cal in BM she seemed put off that I questioned her:O I have not/will not do solids 4x a day and I am thinking that a new ped might be in order, even tho she was reccomended be a few different sources.
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 17:05:31 pm »
Hi, I agree with your feelings and Shiv. 4 solid meals at 6 months is too much! Esp when you think they will be tiny and probably not very varied at this stage. It is vital he gets adequate amounts of all vitamins and minerals esp iron, calcium etc which he will get though your BM not a bit of pureed veg!

Offline Mama2C

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 17:38:40 pm »
I completely agree with the PPs! My DS wasn't even capable of handling much solids until 7+ months old! BM is FAR more important at this stage and solids are still in the introductory stage. And it is a TOTAL myth that more solids will lead to STTN!

Go with your gut and what you know to be right. ANd if that means that a new Ped is in order, than so be it!
Mom of 2!! - DD: Dec 31, 2006 & DS: March 6, 2010

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 19:22:02 pm »
Thanks ladies:) It always helps to know other people are hearing the same thing, I feel pretty strongly about BM and how good it is for a child. So all the support is really helpful:)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 04:00:46 am »
Is she a moron?!  Solids do not make babies sleep better - they can certainly cause NWing though when baby is too young to deal with the digestion aspect ;)  She must not have kids!

Trust your mommy instinct on this one for sure.

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:15:10 am »
I know I do feel like sometimrs  the Dr can be a little dense. Believe me this is not the first time I have gotten questionable advise from a doc, but overall I feel like most do a great job and I know advise gets updated and sometimes changed compleatly over the years so its good to ask and check kwim:)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:16 am »
For sure it's always good to check, but your doctor should keep herself up to date ;)