Author Topic: baby bouncer advice  (Read 2564 times)

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 02, 2011, 21:05:05 pm »
Hello
I wasn't sure where to put this but am looking for advice.
My lo is 23 weeks or 19 weeks ajusted. He is under the paed for silent reflux but when we saw her this week she questioned his development and particularly the fact that he doesn't roll over yet or push with his feet. She rolled him and looked at him on his tummy and was happy with his head and chest held up. He does roll onto his side but not completely over.
I am wondering whether to get a baby bouncer for the doorway to see if that will strengthen and get him pushing off? Have been reading mixed reviews about them and am really not sure.
Paed has given a month to see if he starts doing these things before we are refered to a physio.
I think part of the problem is that for about 2 months now he has cut his day time milk dramatically and doesn't drink a lot except on night feeds and so only drinks about 24 oz in 24 hours and this is hampering development?

Offline Mama2C

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 18:01:22 pm »
I have no idea if there is a link between BM intake and development. I would guess not too much but it could affect his energy...but I am by no means an expert on that so I will leave it to others to comment on that.

We had a jumperoo (so a jumper that is like an exersaucer but not in the doorway). My kids were in it by 4months (when they had really good head control). They both LOVED it. It was expensive but well worth it.

Also I wanted to mention that DD didn't roll over until 5 1/2 months...and she was walking by 10 months.

If you're not sure about a bouncer, can you have your baby stand/bounce on your lap a few times every day? My kids LOVED doing that (it was one of the reasons I finally went out and bought a jumperoo!). Another exercise I did with my kids was to put them on their backs on the floor (on a mat or carpet evidently) and have them push my hands with their legs. It always made them giggle and it was a good exercise for them.
Mom of 2!! - DD: Dec 31, 2006 & DS: March 6, 2010

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 19:46:13 pm »
Does your lo have an excer-saucer?  My dd had one that bounced a bit...enough to work those little legs!  If you feel he is too small for it, you can put receiving blankets around him for support.   :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 20:39:31 pm »
Hi,
I don't think I would worry too much about his development yet, babies all develop differently and he is still little.  My DS2 was not rolling over by that age and in fact he hardly ever rolled over at all.  He also hated tummy time.  But he went on to crawl on schedule and walk early.  We had both a door jumper and an exersaucer type.  My DS1 loved both but my DS2 hardly ever used either of them.  I don't think you *need* to run out and buy one, but if you do you can get them used for much less money than buying a new one.  I have also read that some of those bouncers aren't great for development either as they are not good for the hips and pelvis, so don't think they're a necessity or anything like that (though sometimes they are handy to have and LO's love them!).  If you end up seeing a physio I'm sure they will just give you exercises you can do on your own with him that don't require any special equipment, and those types of things will probably be the best.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 21:13:42 pm »
We have one of those scoot around baby walker things but I thought he was still to young for it? Should I try him in there?

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
Re: baby bouncer advice
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:47:23 am »
Hi!  Just to echo what others have said...if he's truly following his adjusted age developmentally, I wouldn't be too worried if he's not fulling rolling over yet.  Just practice, practice, practice with him...every day, every A time, for a few minutes at a time (he'll let you know when he's had enough).  My DS hated being on his tummy, so getting him to be on it long enough to achieve rolling was not fun ::)  He was about 5.5mo when he finally did it; walking assisted by 9mo; walking fully on his own by 1yo.  He hated crawling and only did it when he absolutely had to.

You can also practice with him on pushing with his feet by putting him on his tummy and putting your hands on the soles of his feet to give him something to push against.  I also think a jumper is a good idea.  My DS loved! his.  I'm not sure if a walker is safe for him just yet.  You can get a jumper (so, a stationary toy) for $50-70 new.  Less if used.

HTH!  Just keep working with him :)
*formerly tersaseda*