Author Topic: when do give snacks??  (Read 1935 times)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
when do give snacks??
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:58:18 am »
DD is 7 months. She has been doing solids for a month now and she loves it!! I took her to daycare today and my sitter said "do u think she would want a cookie?" its one of those dissolvable cookies, i think gerber makes them. DD loved it! she didnt choke or anything, she knew to chew before she swallowed. well i dont ever do snacks, im not sure when to start or what time of day to give them?

her schedule right now is:
AWAKE: 715-730
EAT: bottle 730, solids (oatmeal & fruit) 815
SLEEP: 9:30-11:00
EAT: bottle 11:30, solids 12:15 ( 1/2 jar of fruit, 1/2 jar of veggies)
sometimes i give her a little juice in here, the dr recommends it because she is ALWAYS constipated =(
SLEEP: between 1:30 and 2...sleeps until about 3:30 or 4:00
EAT: bottle whenever she wakes, solids @ 6:15 (jar of veggies mixed with cereal)
ASLEEP: between 7:15-7:30

so im not sure what time is a good time for snacks, like those cookies or puffs. what do u ladies do?

thank you!!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: when do give snacks??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:00 am »
I just give DS (similar age and routine) rusks when:
*he's biting everything more than usual... just because I'd rather he bites on a puffy rice rusk (kinda looks like a cuttle fish but made of rice and dissolves to almost nothing) than my toes :P
*he's climbing my legs while I'm trying to get his lunch/dinner ready, I just give him one and put him in his high chair to watch me in the kitchen.

Its not a regular thing and its not really planned, just have some handy. There are days he has 2 of them and other days he has none.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:05:58 am »
Love those Baby Mum-Mums around here too!  And the Gerber puffs too!  I give DD the Mum-Mums (cookies) after she eats a meal... I started with half of one of the rusks.  She will eat a whole one (or both in the pack) now.  She knows them as cookies - a treat!  The puffs are something I use as a finger food with her meal or with her Cheerios at breakfast when she doesn't want cereal.

I wouldn't think that you have a "good" time to give her a snack quite yet - that will happen when she goes down to 3 bottles ;)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 04:52:49 am »
Thank you!! I forgot to mention, she does get a 4th bottle...about 7ish, and she downs  6-7 ounces haha.

i will have to try some of those things out =) she loves new things

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:55:14 am »
OMG! My boy's a piggy then... he eats them both already and he's cranky he can't have more than one packet. He's 7.5months :P

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 19:27:21 pm »
I started giving snacks around this age but not all that consistently.  Tbh I've always preferred to give fruits, vegetables, dried fruits or something home made for snacks.  There's something which really freaks me out about the baby snack market.  I know lots of them (but not all) are sugar and salt free but those 'baby crisps' you can get in the UK which look like whotsits (cheez doodles) just make me think they're 'training crisps'.  I'm probably completely paranoid but I think if my son is more used to having something like fruit, he might carry on that habit as he gets older.

I'm probably fooling myself though!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 20:35:12 pm »
I agree Lemonthyme - we have those baby training crisps here too!  I don't buy them.  I'm sure she will discover Doritos without my encouragement!

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:31:28 am »
Lemonthyme- I don't think you are fooling yourself. My friend was telling me that her mom used to give her little brother pieces of peppered beef jerky..to this day he eats them like they are candy.
my mom must have gave me veggies ALL the time, i could eat them all day lol! i want kyla to love veggies as much as me.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »
It's interesting, perhaps we should look at adults diets in our peer groups more often when we're making choices.  My mum and dad grew all of their own vegetables, we were self sufficient in veg and some fruit.  Even now, I will regularly make meals with 4 - 5 vegetables and a piece of meat or fish and my husband looks at me like I've gone mad.  Actually no, he used to look at me that way, now he just gets on with it.  I remember the first time I went to my in laws for sunday lunch though, there was a tiny bowl of veg for 4 of us and I was looking for the other vegetable dishes!  Lol! 

Only problem is I was given home made cakes and biscuits as snacks and they're still my downfall now.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 04:11:54 am »
I don't think my husbands family knows what veggies are! When we first got together he rarely had veggies. Now we rarely ever have a starch...And fish, I'm still working on that! Did your husband like fish when you got together?
The other day I had his brother and dad over, I said "sorry there aren't a lot of veggies!" and his dad ended up pouring his bowl into mine haha. His loss, My gain =)

as far as the Homemade cakes! My mom is a baker, we love our goodies hehe

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 13:55:26 pm »
He was one of those "I don't like fish because of the bones" people but now he realises it doesn't have to contain bones.  I still prefer eating fish off the bone though and it's annoying I never get to eat it. 

I'm moving house soon though and where I'm moving to has a fantastic looking fishmonger and game shop so he's going to have to learn!

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 18:13:30 pm »
haha! Well hopefully he has an open mind. I am the biggest sushi lover and I get it like once a year. It's hard to give up something you love so much. Good luck on the move =) hope its not too far for you