Author Topic: Sudden fussiness !  (Read 1585 times)

Offline gooders30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 05, 2011, 14:31:04 pm »
My LO is nearly 8 months and has become really quite fussy.  She doesnt seem that interested in her milk or solids.  She has been eating solids since just before 6 months and used to eat pretty well.  She still has 4 bottles a day 2 x 8oz breakfast and before bed, and 1 x 5 oz at 11am and 1 x 6oz at 3pm.  SHe is also on 2 x meals a day (breakfast & dinner) .  She will only eat a few teaspoons now at mealtimes having started out eating about 3.5oz per mealtime.  I am trying to introduce new flavours for her to make it more interesting but its proving pretty painful feeding her.  She just wants to be free to crawl around and is not interested in much else.  She is a v happy baby so doesnt seems stressed out by any of this its more me that feels stressed that she isnt getting enough. 
Shall i maybe cut a bottle feed and bring in lunch? im at a loss of what to do really to get her appetite back on track.

She also naps happily from 9-11 and 1 -3 and then sleeps through the night from 7pm. 

???

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Sudden fussiness !
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 19:11:36 pm »
Well sleep isn't a problem lol!

I found that my son reacted differently each time he was teething, could it be that? Sometimes he wasn't even grouchy with it during the day but then my son is a bit the opposite and rarely let it affect his food, it was always sleep.

Have you tried giving fiver foods and eating with her? We used to go on picnics loads when my son was around 10 months. You could always do an indoor picnic, make it fun!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 19:15:37 pm »
I was going to suggest teething too - I find that both my boys would have days of only wanting purees OR really crunchy things when teething (I just had to try both and see which they wanted that day).

Remember it can take 15 attempts to get used to a new taste ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 20:13:16 pm »
Lol I meant "finger foods" not "fiver foods" blooming phone!

Some ideas on my blog btw if you need more recipes, it's in my signature below.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 00:58:41 am »
It could very well be teething. My LO is just over 7 months and is going through the exact same thing. I'll even give her favourite foods to her but often she's lost interest after several spoonfuls. And milk is even worse. I'm now pumping and only nursing for her NF and first thing in the morning. During the day, it's a chore to get milk in her. What I've found works best is to distract her by giving her a toy to play with while I give her a bottle, or even just dangle a toy above her and have her bat at it. Other times I find singing to her works as a distraction. But it does take a lot of work to get 4-5 oz. in her. I often do it in chunks and give her a bit of a "play break" in between.
How much is your LO drinking now? You mentioned 3.5 oz at each meal but I assume that is solids??
I'm betting that the recent loss of interest in food is a combination of teething and just wanting to explore!
My advice would be to stick to the 4 milk feedings, especially since she's losing interest in milk. Milk should be the primary source until they are 1, so don't stress too much about the solids. My LO is on 3 meals a day for solids, was eating 2 oz. per meal but now I'm lucky if I get 1 oz. in her at each meal. The other thing is I find it's easier to feed her when she's just woken up from her nap as she's still sleepy and a little less curious.
Hang in there! Sounds like you've got a great sleeper. And just remember that they won't starve themselves. They'll get what they need, but don't be surprised if your LO wakes up in the night hungry!!

Offline gooders30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 22:47:26 pm »
Yeah it could be teething i guess.  Its really hard though she is really disinterested in her milk and her solids.  Both are fussy! she seems happy in herself at other times though!
Her milk intake is going down - i still get her to drink 8oz in the morning and evening but the daytime bottles at tough - 11am she only wants 2- 3oz and 3pm same ish.  I gave her lunch today and made sure she had some yogurt as that seems to be the only food she wants. 

im hoping this phase will pass as its pretty dis-stressing.  i know babies wont starve themselves but still surely her appetite should be increasing not decreasing. 

:(

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:21:57 am »
At 8 months my son had a horrendous nursing strike.  He would only feed once or twice at night and flat refused it during the day.  He was screaming in hunger.  In the end I gave him cold plain full fat yoghurt and just kept offering breastfeeding gently until I coaxed him back into it.

I think it might have been teeth which caused the issue but I know nursing strikes are incredibly common at 8 months.  I'm wondering if this is something similar?

Btw, all in it probably lasted 3 days of being really bad and back to normal in a week.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:42:52 am »
My LO is going on 4 weeks of this disinterest in milk (except for night time feedings!) Really looking forward to going to back to the days where she'd guzzle an 8 oz. bottle in ten minutes!!
Have you tried finger foods? If it's just a disinterest in purees, maybe your LO would do well with a bit of self-feeding if you feel she's ready.

Offline gooders30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »
yeah im trying to do some finger foods at lunchtimes.....she holds the food but doesnt actually eat it....i will persevere though. 

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 13:51:39 pm »
I'd keep offering the finger foods - she will get there in end! Food is just for fun for 1st year so try and relax about it :) xxx