Author Topic: Need some ideas to fill this kid up!  (Read 3915 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Need some ideas to fill this kid up!
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:45:31 am »
I think DD is growing or has developed a hollow leg - she is eating more than a teenaged boy!  It's been going on for almost a week now... I reduced her milk feeds a bit and she went with it to say the least!  I am starting to wean her off of purees as well and she is doing so great!  Will try most things (except for the broccoli that she thinks is to tickle her nose ::)  ).

She just eats constantly!  Like a Hoover vaccumm - she will be 13 months on the 10th and is right around 20 lbs (just a wee thing!) but this is what she had today -

Wake at 645am - 5 oz bottle (recently cut down from 7 ozs)
Found her container of Cheerios on her own at 715am and started screaming at me to open it (I did).  Snacked for 10 mins on these while I got her something more substantial to eat - had some grapes, more Cheerios and a container of homemade pureed pears (about 2 ozs - half of a pear).
1030am - DH and I finally got our breakfast happening so she sat with us and had some scrambled eggs/cheese/more grapes (she loves grapes!) and toast
1135am - 6 oz bottle and down for a nap at 1145am
Woke at 215pm
230pm - 4 ozs of homemade veggie/fruit purees - worked out to a good sized chunk of yam, half a pear, half an apple, about a 3 inch chunk of carrot - some crackers, more grapes (LOL), and a few Cheerios.  I stopped feeding her at 330pm!
5pm she started to panic that she was starving and got mad that she couldn't open her Cheerios again! Made her dinner - a jar of peas (4 ozs) and a handful of blueberries - she stopped eating herself ;)
630pm - DH and I are eating dinner and she is climbing my leg for some of my food!  I gave her a few mouthfuls of roasted potato.
715pm - 9 oz bottle and bed at 725pm.

She is still STTN for 11+ hrs so I know she is getting enough through the day, but what else can I do to keep her full for longer than an hour?!?!  She has never been a huge eater so this is new to me!

Thanks :)  I should have added - she does have a sippy around all day with water/juice in it that she takes well.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Need some ideas to fill this kid up!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:19 am »
How about more carbs and protein? She seems to eat a lot of fruit and veges - which is fab of course!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:09:09 am »
LOL carbs, yeah nothing fills up my boy like toast, it is his obsession ::)
Kara a great carb snack is basically mouse traps - cold and cut into fingers. Just toast with marmite/Vegemite on and some grated chees, grilled, cooled and cut risk size. Last ages in a jar ;)
Yogurts are a good snack, mini muffins or scones. I make mine and mix in sneaky veges.
Bananas are a fruit that is really filling, and you can put this in a Sammie too.

Slices of cold chicken?

Mmmm I am jealous, Zismt eating much ATM.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:39 am »
is she still having mainly purees? Maybe its time for her to have some more table foods? I would suggest toast same as pp, blocks of cheese. My DS loves loves loves casserole/stew. That fills him up with tiny chunks of tiger bread to dip in (like crouton size but fresh bread)

Do you have weetabix cereal there? or readybrek?
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 14:07:05 pm »
One thing I've noticed about what she's eaten in the day is there's very little protein.  Protein really fills you up and it's also got lots of nutrition in it.  Some suitable recipes for her age are here with meat:

Cottage pie:  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/11/cottage-pie-for-babies-and-toddlers.html
Beef stew:  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/10/beef-stew-for-babies-toddlers-and-whole.html
Keema curry: http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/10/keema-and-potato-curry-for-babies-and.html
Meatloaf:  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/10/mini-meatloaf-recipe-for-babies-and.html
Goulash: http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/10/goulash-for-babies-and-toddlers.html

Also I give puddings as well.  Nearly all of my recipes contain no added sugar as well. 

Here are a couple of filling pudding recipes:

Cheat rice pudding:  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/08/rice-pudding-for-babies-and-toddlers.html
Date cake:  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-added-sugar-date-loaf.html

Also remember that purees contain a lot of water so once you change to 100% 'solid' food, you might find she eats less. 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 15:20:56 pm »
 I was thinking the same as pp's have said...while she is eating frequently, the things she's eating aren't very "hearty" for lack of a better word.  Veggies are awesome and full of nutrients, but not alot of calories...so she might be hungry faster.
 I would offer her hearty breads with lots of fiber...the kind we buy has 3 grams of fiber per slice, and 5 grams pf protein, so more filling and satisfying than some, kwim? 
 French toast is a way to add protein and heartiness to plain toast also...(not sure where you live, but in UK it's called eggy bread I think?).   
 Yogurts are a good way to add to the mix too!  There are also some simple muffin recipes (we make banana muffins that are really heraty and wholesome...that and a yogurt is still dd's favorite brekkie!).

And maybe add some meats too...chopped meatballs for lunch or maybe some turkey chuncks with cheese?  Also...dd adored my homemade chicken soup at that age...veggies, chicken, potatoes and noodles...yum! 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 15:39:10 pm »
Both my boys love to snack on breadsticks and plain ricecakes
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 17:59:33 pm »
L eats whatever we eat, and her day usually looks like this:
8am Breakfast (waffles or toast or pancakes + banana)
10am Snack (oatmeal or cheerios with fruit/raisins)
11/11:30am Bottle before nap
2pm Lunch (usually left overs, so some type of meat + pasta/rice + veggie, if I don't have leftovers then I give her some tuna/salmon or omelette with some toast, mac & cheese is also a fave)
3:30/4pm Snack (goldfish crackers + cheese or arrowroot cookies with raisins or yogurt)
5pm Dinner (whatever we have meat + pasta/rice/potato + veggie)
6:30pm Snack (yogurt, fruit, whatever she wants :) )
7:30/8pm Bedtime bottle

If she finishes what's on her plate, doesn't want more of what we are eating but still seems hungry then I pull out something that she loves, like some raspberries or cheese.  That tends to keep her nice and full :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 20:12:28 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I totally know that I need to get more protein into her but she really isn't a big fan of meat at all...

The purees that she does have are homemade so no added water at all.  She won't eat things like stews etc as she doesn't like the texture - she likes things either totally smooth or finger foods - little miss picky!  I do keep trying though! Eventually she will give in, right?!

She is just finally taking to a bit of scrambled eggs and I never thought of french toast!  Will try that for sure!

Thanks so much for the recipes Lemonthyme - I was hoping you would have something for me! 

Sara - we don't have Vegemite here ;)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 20:25:44 pm »
The purees that she does have are homemade so no added water at all.  She won't eat things like stews etc as she doesn't like the texture - she likes things either totally smooth or finger foods - little miss picky!  I do keep trying though! Eventually she will give in, right?!
I hear you Kara, Z is the same, a fuss pot with textures ::) makes it hard to get them eating what we eat really sometimes!

You could substitute marmite/vegemite with peanut butter if she can have peanuts?
Banana bread is a goodie and has no eggs. Pretty much like muffuns really :P
Do you think she would like chickpeas or any kind of beans? egg sandwiches? umm what other protien is not meat :-\

yum french toast. I am having that for breakfast this Sat now!:D
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 20:30:33 pm »
We have some wicked peanut allergies on DH's side -so I am holding off for now with that one - 3 nephews with anaphylaxis!

I have made muffins a few times and she just isn't a fan of them - maybe as they are fairly heavy (hence the reason I made them for her - to try and fill her a bit more - silly baby!).

Beans are something she will eat, but she gets quite bad and painful toots ::)  I haven't tried chickpeas though!

Must get a few avocados too - she loves them!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 20:43:39 pm »
Will she eat pasta? The whole grain ones are more filling....the thing about "white" carbs is that you really do keep wanting more!    :P   Maybe some whole wheat pasta like elbows or shells...something she can pick up herself?  A bit of parmesean for extra calcium and protein too! 

A thing about protein...I read once that most parents worry about their lo's protein intake, but that 99% of kids get plenty of it from their milk or formula.  RDA says 1/2 gram of protein per pound of body weight....so 20 pound child should get 10 grams per day iyswim.  It's fiber that makes us full and feel satiated...and you're looking for 5 grams per day there!  HTH! 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 20:59:18 pm »
Thanks Amelia - I will try pasta today!  I only buy whole wheat pasta so I should have something that will work for her :)  I just remembered that I also bought some quinoa based pasta a month ago when we had eliminated wheat from her diet (funny enough, a 4 week elimination fixed her sensitivity to it!  YAY! we have celiacs in our family so I was a bit freaked out).  All is good though ;)

She does still take 18 or so ozs of formula each day and will have a couple bottles for a while yet - she really loves her bottles!  I have reduced her first two down to 4 ozs though so she is eating like a pig now!

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 21:12:41 pm »
Kara do you have a bread maker?  I've been using it a lot to make some tasty breads for L that have tons of stuff packed in them.  Her favourite right now is whole wheat bread with pineapple and coconut and banana...she just gobbles it up and it seems to really fill her tummy well.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 21:14:56 pm »
Nope - but you might have just given me the reason I needed to get one!  I have been thinking about it for a few weeks now ;)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 22:36:40 pm »
OMG Broke that sounds delish. I am going to pull our dusty old breadmaker out this weekend. Can I have the recipe please :P (you can PM me if thats okay!)
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 22:55:40 pm »
Is the texture thing the reason why she is still having purees? I agree these are not very filling at all and probably contain nowhere near enough calories for her. I would do away with them completely to be honest.
Beware giving too much brown versions of things (rice/pasta/bread etc). It is actually recommended that 1yo don't only have them as they are filling without the nutrients they need and stop her absorbing some minerals she does need.
Are you giving full fat versions of things like yoghurt,milk, cheese etc? Greek Yoghurt can be 10% fat!
The dietitian I work with always used to push protein to make you feel full when losing weight but I would say make she she has enough calories if she needs them rather than feeling full on few calories if that makes sense.
I second bananas and advocado too is high calorie fruits.
K needed to eat every 2 hrs at this age.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 00:50:00 am »

K needed to eat every 2 hrs at this age.
This is good to know KM :) Z pretty much snacks throughout the day rather than actual meals. He has a good breakfast, then snacks, then after his nap a light lunch, then snacks. Then dinner. Only problem is he isn't that keen on dinner ATM. I think this is reflux related though.

Kara. I find Z prefers his fruit in finger sized portions, will A eat fruit like this instead of in a puree? I have to say now Z can eat bananas, the mini bobby nanas are the perfect snack size! Ripe Pear is also a favorite for a snack along with grapes - cut in half, raisins (not too often) and apple or peach.

I try to give Z his bread/toast in the morning rather than later in the day, and usually get wheatmeal rather than white.

Avocado is delicious with cream cheese ;)
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 00:59:03 am »
Between 1 and 2yo they need more cals per kg of body weight than an obese adult! They have to eat often as their little tunnel is much smaller in proportion to them. If you see the things the who recommend for snacks they are more like mini meals. sardines on toast or cheese on toast or stuff like that the suggest. Way more cals than half a pear.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 02:19:38 am »
Hi, I wasn't meaning purees have added water, just that you need some water in them (or use 'wet' vegetables) to actually get them to puree iyswim?

Pasta is definitely worth a shot.  Here are two pasta recipes with full fat cheese and cream cheese:
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/01/joy-of-cream-cheese.html

Also why not try some bolognaise?  If it's a textural thing with the meat you could puree the sauce then mix with the pasta?
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/07/bolognaise-adults-and-babies.html

Alternatively why not mix some of the vegetable purees with cheese and pasta?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 03:43:27 am »
You ladies are fantastic!

Texture is totally the reason that I still give her some purees each day.  I tried skipping her usual veg puree at lunch and went straight to finger foods - total fail.  She sat in her chair for 40 mins and only managed to eat three rotini noodles (whole wheat) and one floret of broccoli before she signaled that she was all done.  Ugh.  I think the issue is just getting her to consume enough calories at this point. 

She does love cheese so I will try the cheese on toast idea tomorrow.  No ReadyBrek here but I do have baby oatmeal that she loves - I did find that she did better this morning with that along with some fresh fruit - she didn't bug me to eat until 3 hours later so it must have done the trick!  I tried standard oatmeal just last week and she gagged like a maniac and spit it out...

I will add some pasta to her purees and I dug out my Anabel Karmel book for some ideas too - I can use her puree recipes and try them lumpier!  She may not appreciate it, but it's worth a shot!  I found a few recipes with chicken and a few with beef - as well as mini meatballs and baby sized chicken burgers too!  Just need Friday to get here so DH can keep track of her while I cook up a storm!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 06:01:24 am »
mini meatballs and baby sized chicken burgers too
I have made these (if the Anabel Karmel ones) and they are yummo! :) Good luck!
***Sara***

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 13:46:00 pm »
My 15 mo eats a ton too (at least to me, it seems like a lot because DD1 has always eaten like a bird).

We have observed that whenever anyone sits down with food (even if she has just eaten) , she comes over and immediately starts to make demands.  My DH says she is like the Mafia coming around to get her "cut".  I have realized that a lot of her eating has nothing to do with being hungry, and more to do with modeling and mimicking us. She is not really hungry, she just wants to do what we are doing (rarely though, does she turn down anything that is offered).

Just another factor to consider.  But, I agree with lots of the other PP's about adding more table food, particularly proteins and carbs is likely to 'fill her up' more.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 21:38:35 pm »
Sara - that's the ones!  Got the ingredients today ;)

Texomamama - she totally does that!  And yes, like your hubby said, it's like the mafia coming for a piece of the pie LOL! 

I have convinced DH that we need a breadmaker ;)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 22:46:55 pm »
K did that eating when ever anyone else did. When I was at work he would eat with me, eat again with my mum when he got there and then eat again with nephew at my sister's all for breakfast and alll before 10am!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:25 am »
Got a breadmaker today!  So excited to try a few new ideas!

I also bought some 8 oz containers that can be used in the freezer in prep for some meal making on DH's day off!  Will be making the Chicken Burgers tomorrow for DD's lunch :)  Also grabbed some WW pasta at the store today and a few different cheeses too!

She had oatmeal for breakfast today and was totally fine for a few hours before asking for something else.  So, I just need to find things that will sustain her - like cheese on toast and such!

Thanks again everyone!