Author Topic: Staying at the table and other food related issues  (Read 3048 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Staying at the table and other food related issues
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 13:52:04 pm »
I set a time limit when it is clear that the child in question is just mucking about, otherwise there are times when we would be there all night. One of our issues is that we normally only have 30-40 minutes in which to eat anyway because bath and bed are pretty early in this house.

I normally find that the messing around with food is because the child doesn't like it, so I tend to say that they can leave it and get down, or eat x more bites (3 for e because she is 3 and 5 for m) and then they can have yoghurt/fruit/whatever is on offer.

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 13:57:21 pm »
I haven't read all the responses but Oliver is in a very moody phase regarding food as well.  Pretty much anything right now if he puts his mind to it, thats how it is going to go -- doesn't want to nap, he won't.  Doesn't want to eat, he won't.  I try very hard not to push the issue with him because I find sometimes he'll come back to it an hour later.   But last night he didn't and I know he was hungry but it was the first time I said he had to eat dinner before he could get anything else... and that booger went to bed not eating!  Definition of strong willed child.  He wasn't even sad about it, more satisfied he "won".

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 14:05:19 pm »
Oh yes Finn has gone to bed without dinner lol  He sets his mind and it's hard to change or persuade.

I like the timer idea...we do play the 'well daddy will eat it then', to which he freaks out but still doesn't eat it IYSWIM.  If you touch his food he gets upset but often DH will 'feed' him the rest which I am now re-thinking.  I feel like it makes the fussing around ok and then he'll get 'fed' in the end YK?  Last night it was eggs which he looooves.  But he's on a 'no meat' kick and I had put leftover ham in them.  My bad!
The tweaking never stops!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 14:09:20 pm »
Following along Wendy and really interested in what's been said. I have been stressing about the same issues as you.

DS isn't eating too well, in that he's only really interested in the meat on his plate. He wont eat a vegetable, and potatoes are very hit and miss. I'm making sure he's getting extra fruit during the day though. Our main problem is that childcare is changing and he's currently being looked after by my sister. He doesn't nap there so by the time we're in the car at 5pm for our hour journey home, he's completely OT. Not only does he ask for something to eat in the car (which I give or I have an hour of screaming) but he's too tired to want to sit and eat a meal when we finally get in. The last couple of nights I've given him snacky stuff on the sofa because at least that way he is actually eating something, and am trying to give my sister something more 'substantial' to give him for lunch instead.
Catherine x

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 14:31:41 pm »
we do play the 'well daddy will eat it then', to which he freaks out but still doesn't eat it IYSWIM.

Same here!

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08