Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 93207 times)

tigerlilly905

Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:38:44 am »
As many of you know, we have been following the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS diet) for the past 4 months + to heal our family's food intolerances and digestive issues.  I've been journaling our progress at home in the hopes to make a longer thread about it in the future to help others. In the meantime, since I've been corresponding with quite a few of you ladies via PMs, I thought it might be a good idea for us to start a GAPS (and similar ED) support thread so we can share what we are learning and offer eachother support. :-*

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:37 am »
I'm in! Thanks Rebecca!

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 16:34:37 pm »
Has anyone bought a GAPS cookbook? Forgive me if this has already been discussed! I have major mommy brain!

I am looking at one called Internal Bliss.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 17:42:51 pm »
Great to "see" you here Jenn! :D

I didn't have a chance to post these last night, but I figured I should post some important links if there's anyone who's just getting started on GAPS.

The book of course is essential to this whole process: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/  Don't let the title fool you. Many believe virtually all illnesses (including reflux, food intolerances, allergies, behavioural problems ect.) are rooted in the gut. Heal the gut, heal your body. Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride does an excellent job of explaining this all in the book. Apparently she's in the process of writing another book called "Gut and Physiology Syndrome" with the same ideas as the first GAPS book, but she will go into more detail about autoimmune disorders and other physical illnesses as well.  Of course, the dietary/lifestyle changes are the same regardless. :)

Here's some basics for Allowed Foods and Foods to Avoid: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/GAPS-Diet-Foods.pdf

Intro GAPS: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/gaps-introduction-diet.pdf

Full GAPS: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the-full-gaps-diet.pdf

GAPS and Breastfeeding: http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2011/08/can-i-do-gaps-if-im-breastfeeding.html

FAQ & other helpful tips: http://www.gaps.me/

Has anyone bought a GAPS cookbook? Forgive me if this has already been discussed! I have major mommy brain!

No, I haven't got one yet. TBH I get most of my stuff from the GAPS book itself or online. Nourishing Traditions is amazing as well - but many of the NT recipes that require grains are for when the gut is fully healed (and we're a long way off from that).  Can't remember if I sent you this link, but here is where I get quite a lot of my recipes. http://www.healthhomehappy.com/gaps-recipes

I know there's a GAPS recipe dvd out as well, but again, I haven't got it yet:  http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/cooking-with-gaps-dvd/

I spent most of my evening filling out all of the forms for the ND appt we have scheduled. TBH, I was feeling kinda sick of filling these out (since we've already tried 3 NDs with little to no success), but I'm feeling hopeful after talking to this ND that he's the right fit for our situation.  I was hoping to get a cancelation spot to be able to see him next week, but it looks like the earliest we can see him is going to be Dec 21st.  He mentioned a stool test, hair test and an OAT test (organic acid test) - We're also supposed to be discussing digestive enzymes that Arthur is most likely lacking as well as possible supplements (such as zinc).  

I wish we could set up individual appts with him for DH, myself and Ds1, but that's just not financially possible right now. But since Ds2's gut is obviously in the worst shape out of all of us, I'm hoping we can take whatever we learn from his appoitments/tests and apply it to the rest of the family.

I thought at first the diet + probiotics alone was going to be enough to fix things, especially with the amazing progress we made in 4 months, but as soon as we tried to get solids into the mix, it was a whole new ball game. I honestly couldn't believe the regression we had. I am happy to keep exclusively Bf'ing him as long as possible to allow his gut to heal though. I think the fact that he can't really tolerate any solids yet just tells me his little body still has lots of healing to do, and especially with things like low stomach acid (caused by low zinc) and low digestive enzymes, we really do need some help in dealing with those types of dietary supplements.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing about how all of you ladies are doing. :)  I think I need to buy shares in Klaire Labs products since I've been buying their probiotics in bulk for the family! :P ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:52:10 am by tigerlilly905 »

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:57:13 am »
I'm here, too.  Not a lot of time, but will try to update with where we're at when I get a chance.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:43:25 am »
Hi girls

I'm gonna join as well as I would like to try this diet for my extremely sensitive/allergic Julia. She is nearly a year old now.

I'm gonna give you a "little" background to her story:

Julia was born as a healthy baby at the end of last year. Unfortunately, I had to get antibiotics when I was delivering her as I had an infection. After she was born, she got few ounces of Aptamil formula before my milk came in. After this she was exclusively breastfed. At 2 weeks she developed severe colic - she practically screamed all day long with half an hour breaks when she would pass out from exhaustion.

I went on a dairy, egg and wheat free diet but she didn't improve and at 11 weeks the allergy clinic I was referred to asked me to stop breastfeeding and give her hypoallergenic formula. Another 11 weeks of of even stricter diet followed as I did not want to stop breastfeeding. I tried to follow the Failsafe diet. I was only eating: rice and rice products (rice bread,ricemilk etc), potatoes, root vegetables and pears. I tried to follow the low salysalate diet as she seemed to react to high salysaletes eg. olives, aubergines,avocados, also bananas(amines) -so I presumed she was food chemical sensitive.

She improved a great deal under this diet. The screaming stopped. However, she was still waking with wind about 5 times/ night, still mucousy stools and eczema. At 5 months I let myself be pressured into stopping breastfeeding as I was exchausted physically and emonionally. It broke my heart, though - still grieving the loss of it, 6 months down the line.

She is on Nutramigan AA at the moment and a very strict diet which consists of the following: millet, rice, quiona, chicken, potato, swede, squash, peas, asparagus, pears, peaches, plums,apricots. We have big problems with constipation and wind. She still wakes at least twice a night due to wind. We regularly try new foods but quite a number of them fail. She seems to have sore tummy from all meats other than chicken. I haven't even tried fish as she had terrible diarrhoea when had some salmon while breastfeeding. She reacted to both oats and corn. She also has sore tummy from carrots,parsnips, sweet potatoes,green breans and spinach.

We had a major accident 2 weeks when my 2 year old son (free of allergies) fed her a tiny amount of chocholate chip biscuit and we ended in hospital with a severe infection/flare up of her eczema. She had blood tests done which showed increased levels of IgA against peanuts and egg and a slightly reduced Immunoglobin. Her stool was checked for reducing substances and showed no abnormality. She has eczema, a hustle to her breathing, constant drooling (even when she is not teething) painful wind and constipation.

Otherwise,she is a very happy, friendly little girl. It breaks my heart to see her in pain and would love her settled and healthy.

I just wish I had round this diet when I was still breastfeeding.

I contacted Dr Campbell-McBride at Medinform medinform@lineone.net and she suggested doing the baby diet.

So here are my questions:

Do I just give her the meat stock and nothing else for a few days? She absolutely loves her solids. If she doesn't get the chance to chew, will that not affect her adversely as well?

Do I even stop giving formula?

It seems a bit extreme and I'm not sure it's doable. What is she doesn't accept the meat stock?

Do I not even give her water to drink?

Also, what vegetables do I use to make her soup? She suggests not to worry about sals - is that defo the case?

There are some veg that she reacted to .e.g. carrots, spinach, green beans, broccoli.

Any help would be really appreciated, ladies.

Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:51 am »
Helloooo  :)

Thanks for starting this thread Rebecca, I am glad we have someone who is well versed in the diet here  :)

I am looking forward to talking GAPS diet.

My Kai (20 months) isn't able to embrace the diet fully as his veg is still too restricted due to his salicylate intolerance... which "ahem" Campbell McBride glosses over as "a detox reaction".  But having put that aside we are embracing aspects of the diet, and understanding that one person alone cannot be an expert in everything  :) :)  so we are embracing the diet without dropping all the grains or starchy veg.. my Kai is eating gluten free whole grains at the moment...   I know ultimately the grains contributre to gut dysbiosis though.

We are working on supplements such as zinc and vitamin B6, and magnesium to support his body to detoxify food, heal his gut, develop stomach acid and all the enzymes... so gut dysbiosis is a thing of the past.  Problem is biochemistry takes months to fix, so hand in hand with diet we must be patient  :) :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 22:25:15 pm »
This is all so interesting. I think we have B's reflux under control now but he still seems to get lots of tummy discomfort and I am considering making some changes to our diet.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:21 am »
I'm reading too as while we don't have the tummy issues (knock wood) we started solids with chicken broth and chicken and it's gone quite well (until this week when I believe teething kicked in though who really knows)?  I have learned a lot from discussing this with you ladies and would like to continue.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 15:24:28 pm by Erin M »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 12:19:15 pm »
I'm here, though not really on GAPS. I am gluten free due to IgA allergy and Hashimoto's and also yeast and sugar free due to some level of candida, but otherwise not grain free. Definitely stay clear of MSG completely and processed foods for my family whenever possible (but within reason).

As for the supplements, definitely need a bulk rate! DS and I do probiotics and he also does iron and liquid calcium and Vit D. I do probiotics, zinc, selenium, caprylic acid, iron, Vit D and Vit C.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline kim&savannah

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »
I'm not doing the amount of supplements I'm surewe're supposed to be on and even just the probiotics and Vit D (and I take calcium and fenugreek) are expensive!  I really prefer to get our nutrients from whole foods, so that part of this diet kind of kills me.

I keep meaning to get on here and post a summary of our story and where we're at, but things have been busy.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 22:52:47 pm »
Just thought I would let you know a bit of good news. I went ahead and took out all grains and potatoes from Julia's diet 3 days ago and since the day after, she has been pooing all on her own. No need for laxatives and/or suppositories!!!

Her skin seems a bit worse but I'm hoping this is just a die off reaction?

Anyway, I'm so happy about the pooing and I really think we are on the right tract with diet. Just wish I found it when I was still breastfeeding...
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline kim&savannah

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 23:00:26 pm »
That is great news!  The skin thing can definitely be a die-off reaction.  I got a weird litte rash by my mouth that last the first month or so, but its been gone now for a few weeks.  And some other long-time itchy spots have also started clearing up.  It's funny how the random little things that have never been particularly bothersome do seem to indicate a deeper down issue.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 02:33:16 am »
I've been meaning to post on here for the past couple of days! We've been SO busy around here. Is it just me, or do the holidays make people insane?! :P ;)  LOL!  

Karen - Do you have a link to the iron supplement you are using for Ds?  Also, can you please tell me more about Caprylic Acid? That's actually the second time I've heard someone mention it today and I'm not too familiar with it.  Does it help keep Candida under control?  

Quote (selected)

Just thought I would let you know a bit of good news. I went ahead and took out all grains and potatoes from Julia's diet 3 days ago and since the day after, she has been pooing all on her own. No need for laxatives and/or suppositories!!!

AMAZING news!! WOW!!! I agree, what you're seeing is probably for sure die-off.  You can bet the Candida/other bad bacterias are probably not too happy you took away their grains and starchy potatoes! :P That's wonderful progress.

Anyway, I'm so happy about the pooing and I really think we are on the right tract with diet. Just wish I found it when I was still breastfeeding...

((hugs)) don't be too hard on yourself. You really are doing amazing.  Bf'ing or not. She will heal, I know she will :)

Random thought - I know bf'ing is a very personal choice, but if you wanted to go back, I know there are certain medications that can induce lactation again, and once you are lactating again you can stop. Domperidone is the name of the medication that I know of.  Apparently mamas with low supply can take it, and I've even heard of adoptive mothers taking it to induce lactation for their adoptive baby.  At this point you might not want to go that route, but I just thought I'd mentio that lactation is still possible if that's something you want to do.

Do I just give her the meat stock and nothing else for a few days? She absolutely loves her solids. If she doesn't get the chance to chew, will that not affect her adversely as well?

Hum. Well, if you're going to start from square one and do intro, I say yes start with just bone broth.  If she *needs* something to chew you could give her a drumstick bone to gum/chew on (Ds2 does this and LOVES it...)  Even though we're delaying solids still for Ds2 we are sure to have him sit at the table with us, and hes fairly happy to chew on spoons/meat bones ect.  You can give her the bone broth in a bottle, a cup ect.  If she doesn't really like it you could try mixing a bit of her FF in it?  I have asked the same developmental question about delaying solids on the GAPS FB thread and have been assured that you will not effect any sort of development if you delay solids/chewing food ect. Heck, my mom delayed solids for 12 months and EBF'ed both my brother and I and we had no issues with solids once they were introduced after 1 year.

Do I even stop giving formula?

This.. I don't know, tbh.  I know in the book NCM (natasha campbell mcbride) suggests if you have to FF to ad a quality probiotic in EACH bottle to aid with digestion.  Also, I know you say Julia is on a prescription FF, but have you ever looked into the Weston A Price foundation (nourishing traditions) hypoallergenic FF? Everything you need to know is in this link: http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/recipes-for-homemade-baby-formula

There's a video tutorial in this link. She does a milk based FF, but later goes into teaching how to make the meat based Hypoallergenic FF 13 minutes into the video: http://www.westonaprice.org/beginner-videos/baby-formula-video-by-sarah-pope

I personally have not used this, but again, on the GAPS FB page I have read many people recommending this if you need to FF.

Do I not even give her water to drink?

Oh, definitely give her water. Plenty to drink. Water helps cleanse the system and detoxify.  Especially with the extra fats/proteins she'll be consuming, she'll probably need more to drink.

Also, what vegetables do I use to make her soup? She suggests not to worry about sals - is that defo the case?

I would be mindful of Sals for sure, but my suggestion would be to perform the Sensitivity Test she outlines in the book prior to introducing the veg (whether its in soup/juice/puree ect)  So, for example, juice a carrot. Put a drop of the juice on her wrist before bed and look for the reaction in the morning.  Not the most "scientific" method I'm sure, but that's what NCM says to do in the book... Remember to start with Plain meat stock and then go from there

If she's reacted to certain veg in the past - it could have been the fibre.  Remember their guts are very inflammed. Many GAPS patients can't even tolerate fibre at first, which is why juicing is so important.

You could try a few days of just broth/FF... then gradually introduce juiced vegetables to see if you get the same reaction. You say she reacted poorly to carrots, green beans, broccoli... what was the reaction? Rash? Spit up? Bad poops?  

I'll see if Megan can pop over to this thread too. She's also woking with a Biomed Dr. and following GAPS for her little guy. She's further along on solids then we are, so maybe she'll have some more suggestions too.

It's funny how the random little things that have never been particularly bothersome do seem to indicate a deeper down issue.

I KNOW!! It's unbelievable!  I just upped my probiotic intake and I've got some new small eczema patches on my forehead.  I haven't had an eczema reaction in years.  Well, I'm glad this stuff is slowly getting out of my system. Better out then in!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:56:56 am by tigerlilly905 »

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:22:07 am »
yup I'm here too! I will do a proper post tomorrow - I'm too wiped right now and have to get to bed while I can!

Megan