Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94191 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:24 am »
I'll need to ask my nature about which product to buy for zinc piccinolate.....So will get back to you in a few days for that one.

I really wish Kai had access to herbs, flowers etc for kai, I would love to put him on milk thistle for his liver too, unfortunately he cannot tolerate herbs of any form due to his sals intolerance. A trial about 4 weeks back of marshmallow root was awful, and that herb does not contain as much sals as others, all herbs are exponentially higher in sals than the food he eats. It's a catch22 for him: what will make him better makes him sick!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:54 am »
It seems as though fiber is overrated as being needed to poop, and in cases of really severe gut damage  it's not a bad idea to forgo it entirely for a while.

I know this woman has done another post about why she had to go completely off vegetables, as in no fiber passing her lips for quite a long time, but this post about poop is the closest I can find to pretty much the same information. I figure no need to warn you about graphic poop pics and descriptions on this thread. LOL

http://theprimalparent.com/2011/08/31/understandingpoop-constipation-ibs-digestive-disorders/#more-1665

Inulin is a fiber that's considered to be a "prebiotic" that probiotics can feed on, but really, they just need a sugar of some sort. For fiber like cellulose, the "-ose" indicates that it's a sugar anyway. Here, read on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin . Oh, and note this little clip at the end of the article: "About 30–40% of people in Central Europe suffer from fructose malabsorption.[16] Since inulin is a fructan, excess dietary intake may lead to minor side effects, such as increased flatulence and loose stools in those with fructose malabsorption.[17] It is recommended that fructan intake for people with fructose malabsorption be kept to less than 0.5 grams/serving.[17]"

Offline EloysH

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2012, 11:42:02 am »
Here you go- here is some pure zinc for you - Thorne Research Zinc Picolinate.  If you react to this then you would be reacting to the capsules themselves.  I asked on my Pyroluria Forum.  They really do know their stuff there  :)

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Double-Strength-Zinc-Picolinate-180-Veggie-Caps/18460?at=0

tigerlilly905

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »
AWESOME!! Thank you Eloise!

Deb, I agree completely about te fibre. I think thats another reason why juicing is so key for GAPS people.  Which makes me wonder, Jutka, could you JUST put Jutka on the meat, bone broth, fats and then juice any veggies (like carrots, broccoli ect) for her nutrients?

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2012, 13:25:02 pm »
Ah, girls, I really don't know what to do anymore! Started Julia back on organic chicken stock and a bit of chicken yesterday and she was a lot worse overnight. She was full of wind and needed a suppository to get rid of the wind and the poo (which was very smelly) and was up every 3hours to feed. She is mega hungry and unsettled. She didn't get any fibre, as I say, it was just the stock and bit of meat.

She also pood after lunch today and the mucous is now back! We haven't had mucous for months, only when I started the probiotic. Somebody also remarked this morning at a mums and tots group that her eyes were puffy. Since the only new thing is chicken, that could be the only cause. I hate to say this but she settled on HAF. It was the same as when I stopped breastfeeding, she was a lot better on the formula... But I can't keep her on that solely as she is so hungry.

I just don't understand as before I started her on probiotics a couple of weeks ago, she was doing so well on the chicken, swede and squash! Now that the probiotics are gone and I gave her gut almost a week of only HAF, she should be fine going back to that diet. But she is getting worse again and the mucous is freaking me out!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 14:39:22 pm by bjutka1 »
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

tigerlilly905

« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2012, 16:59:23 pm »
I just don't understand as before I started her on probiotics a couple of weeks ago, she was doing so well on the chicken, swede and squash! Now that the probiotics are gone and I gave her gut almost a week of only HAF, she should be fine going back to that diet. But she is getting worse again and the mucous is freaking me out!

Wish I knew what to say :-\  ??? I just know that during healing they get worse before they get better, kwim? Especially with the probiotics into play.

Funny, b.c when we started this with Ds1 the same sort of thing happened. His poops immediately got better, then within a few weeks we had regression again.  It was honestly the healing... and we're still going through it with him.  It's like 2 steps forward, one step back. Just yesterday he had a huge diarrhea poop with undigested food. I don't know what to make of it except he's probably going through more healing b/c we really haven't changed anything for him. So today I've gone back to extra juicing for him in the hopes we can even things out again.

Kim reminded me of it actually, b/c I couldn't understand why something like homemade goats yogurt (which didn't seem to bother him when we first started the diet) all of a sudden bothered him. When the body heals, it makes us even more sensitive to things. Thats how I understand it anyways...

I can only imagine how frusterating and frightening this must be for you. I agree, the mucous really bothers me too when I see it. :(

tigerlilly905

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2012, 17:26:08 pm »
oh Eloise, can I just say I LOVE IHERB!! So cheap! :D Thanks again for that link. I've been taking zinc myself, but none for the boys just yet. I think I'll start getting that in them too :)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2012, 02:13:21 am »
i LOVE iherb too!  I cannot believe things ship in 3 days to me all the way in Australia AND it is cheaper than the shops here  ::)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2012, 03:07:46 am »
i LOVE iherb too!  I cannot believe things ship in 3 days to me all the way in Australia AND it is cheaper than the shops here  ::)

Seriously! My shipping was only $4 and then I got a random $5 discount at checkout.. I'll take that! :D

Eloise - so if you don't mind me picking your brain, where does the B6 fit into gut health in your Pyroluria healing?  .. or does it not really pertain to the gut healing specifically? I have read of high dose Niacin (B6) being used in other natural healing circles for depression and even alcoholism but I don't think I've come across it in my GAPS specific reading.

Also I wanted to ask you, do you give Kai an enzyme supplement on top of the Zinc you're giving him?  Or is the Zinc just supposed to help boost his own enzyme production?

Jenn, how are you doing? It's almost been one full week now, right?  Feeling ok? How's Emily's tummy?

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:33 am »
We are doing okay. I am finding it really hard to stay away from sweets ::) But I am managing. Emily seems to be doing about the same. She has been doing alright. I did try and take her off her meds but it was a disaster. She still barely ever poops but I think that is from the medication more then anything. She wants food SO badly right now.

How quickly did you guys all notice results in your kiddos?

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2012, 14:01:52 pm »
Jenn - Milo had super mucousy poos and that stopped almost as soon as we started gaps. I think it has more to do with HIM not eating carbs than ME not eating them (I'll be honest, I've cheated a few times and had grains ::) ) Although BM changes with what you eat I don't think the *ratio* of carbs to protein to fat changes with what you eat, but I could be wrong...

Megan

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2012, 14:12:44 pm »
Julia was extremely constipated before we started GAPS and two days in she started going regularly on her own once I cut out grains and starchy veg. That was all her diet though since I'm not breastfeeding anymore.

She has diarrhoea since I put chicken and stock back in her diet and I don't know if this is an indication of her not tolerating this or just her system clearing out?!!

The chicken is organic and I phoned to enquire what they feed them with. I was told mixed cereal: what, soya and oats etc. and 80% is organic. They can't get non GM soya so that would be the non organic part. Apparently, they can sell something with organic label if min 80% is of organic origin. Since Julia is so bad with wheat, I'm wondering if it would be better to go with cornfed chicken but I can't find it organic.

Deb, thank you so much for the info on the fibre and inulin. I wonder whether Julia's terrible reaction to the klairlab infant probiotic was due to the inulin?

Rebecca, have you found anything on Uva Ursi? I'm not getting anywhere with it. Tbh, I'm not sure this biomed dr is right for us. He keeps suggesting things that are not in line with NCM. The plan he put in place for the probiotics to use was really my research. All the supplements/probiotics he suggested so far I couldn't go for because of some ingredient ie. soya, maltrodextrin. It feels like I'm doing the research and he just confirms that it's okay to go ahead with it and charges an absolute fortune for this...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 14:23:17 pm by bjutka1 »
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2012, 14:16:13 pm »
Ah Jutka, I feel the same way about a lot of the doctors I've seen, including somewhat the ND I've seen!! It's like we're leading them instead of the other way around!! I have decided (long ago really, but this just confirms it once again) that these doctors are only really good for the tests they can perform or order and the rest of it we have to figure out ourselves :-\ I feel for you!!

Megan

tigerlilly905

« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2012, 17:57:51 pm »
Jenn, Arthur's reflux was gone within a few days of me starting full gaps. The constipation component I believe lies greatly within the probiotic treatment.  Have you tried upping her dose a touch?

Jutka, I hate to say it, but GMO soy is super bad news. It's been proven in studies that the frankenstein-genes from GMO Soy can actually grow in the intestines of the animals who consume it. :-\  That said, what you're using is probably not horrible since its the chicken eating it and not Julia directly.. but I would wonder if the chicken feed is playing a factor. ??? I would be hesitent to get non-organic corn fed chicken as corn is another huge GMO crop, not to mention the antibiotics they use in conventional chicken. 

I really do believe that Julia is going through die off though. I was wondering about Arthurs rash because last night he had a flare up around his mouth/cheeks when he had soup stock so I posted about it on the GAPS FB page. Sure enough a veteran GAPS Mama chimed in and said that just plain soup stock can produce powerful die off and what we were going through was common.  I also read it was suggested to alternate detox baths with epsom salts, ACV and Baking Soda. We've mainly been doing just epsom salts every night, so I think I'll do a cup of ACV tonight instead. 

So now I don't think it was the enzymes afterall. I'm going to try to back track a bit, b/c I think I went too quickly w. the additional probiotics, coconut oil, soup stock and enzymes all around the same time and didn't give much time for adjustment... (guess I got excited ::) :P

But back to Julia... how much soup stock are you giving her? . As per the book, NCM only suggests a few tbsp the first week - along with some freshly pressed veggie juice (like carrot) and possibly some fats (such as FCLO, Olive oil ect)  Once that is introduced slowly then you proceed to the next step (or "week" as it's laid out in the book)

Ah Jutka, I feel the same way about a lot of the doctors I've seen, including somewhat the ND I've seen!! It's like we're leading them instead of the other way around!! I have decided (long ago really, but this just confirms it once again) that these doctors are only really good for the tests they can perform or order and the rest of it we have to figure out ourselves  I feel for you!!

Yes I agree totally. I'm much happier with the ND we are seeing but he's still not perfect (like the "FiveLac" he suggested that contained Dairy and GMO canola ::) *facepalm*) Ultimately we are the best advocate for our children.

Oh and about the Uva Ursi, the only thing I've really found was that some people use it to treat UTI and certain types of yeast infections...so perhaps his thinking is that it works similar to GSE to help kill off some of the Candida? I dunno though ??? 

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2012, 18:02:41 pm »
I just have a sec. Rebecca- we are up to 1/4 tsp twice a day of the klaire labs infant formula probiotics.