Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94202 times)

tigerlilly905

Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2012, 18:09:55 pm »
Hummm... ok Jenn. You say she *might* be starting to enter solids territory? You could consider juicing carrots + celery for her. I have read that both do wonders for constipation. The other thing is Coconut Milk Kefir.. i have yet to make any, but have read quite a few ppl mentioning it for constipation on the gaps FB thread. ??? Do you do baby stretches with her? You know those ones where you make bicycle motions with her legs, put her feet above her head ect? I know that helps get things moving.  One of the ND's we saw suggested castor oil massages in an "S" shape on Arthurs tummy to relieve constipation. So only using a small amount of castor oil externally on the tummy and massaging. I never tried it though b/c he started pooping consistently soon after that appt.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2012, 19:31:16 pm »
A couple of questions about juicing  (our juicer has finally arrived)

-do you juice the veg raw?
-are the bubs not starving, just getting the juice?

I was thinking of juicing the veg she is used to (squash and swede) as I don't know how she would react to something new. Both carrots and broccoli failed when I tried to introduce them as new veg months ago. Broccoli gave her loads of wind (but it was probably the fibre) and carrots gave her very sore tummy. Funny, my mum said that my sister couln't tolerate carrots when she was weaning her and she is the only one in my family with allergies (hayfever) apart from Julia.

Rebecca, I suppose I give her quite a lot of stock, I would estimate about 300ml/ day. I know you're meant to go slow but I'm not convinced about the HAF either as per NCM so trying to reduce it in favour of stock. It's hard cos Julia is so hungry, she would really eat well if she could, the poor pet.

What are the fats you're giving? I'm thinking of ordering FCLO and coconut oil. I suppose I would need to introduce them as a new food, go slow and check for any reactions.

I made some saurkraut as well but I don't think it's right, it smells "off" and there is a white layer on top...

Good to know some of you also have the same experience with NDs. I was pretty annoyed with him yesterday. It's such hard work doing everything yourself. I was so relieved that I can sit back now and let him lead me but it's not gonna happen. I get far more advice from you, girls!
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2012, 19:58:44 pm »
Jutka - have you tried liver or avocado yet? I think I've mentioned it before but I can't remember what you said... sorry if I'm being repetitive.

You could boil the liver and puree it with the veggies to make variations on flavor. Milo seems to be getting a bit sick of liver finally :-\

Megan

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2012, 20:22:49 pm »
I'm scared to try anything new just yet. Not sure when the time would be right to try something new? I was thinking I would let her system heal first but I could be waiting a few months at least then...

Milo seems so similar to Julia, except he is less sensitive. Does he have ezcema too? All my respect is yours, Megan for coping with the sleepless nights. I only did the "being up every 2 hours or less" for 5 months and I was a wreck! Rebecca, how does Arthur sleep for you?

tigerlilly905

« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2012, 00:27:54 am »
Jenn, I had another random thought - are you by chance eating bananas still? Those can cause constipation, even through BM

Jutka - You're supposed to juice raw.  pg 303/304 in the GAPs book goes into it in more detail.

As for hunger, well, I can say this. I can't remember what part of the book NCM talks about it, but she mentions taking a tbsp of ACV (or lemon juice) first thing in the morning with a glass of water to restore the alkalinity of the body.  Have you ever tried this? It actually makes you not hungry at.all. It's bizzar. I was giving Ds1 a tsp of ACV in the morning but then he refused to eat breakfast, so I stopped.  But I remember reading in the book NCM talks about the body being it's its main detox phase between the hrs of 4am - 10am, so when we first wake up if we take the ACV with water and then have fresh pressed juice soon after your body finishes the detoxification process from the previous day/night and then is ready for a "real" breakfast closer to 10am.  TBH, we do our juicing first thing, then we cook breakfast which takes about 15 minutes, and eat after that. I know *ideally* you're supposed to wait about 20 mins between juicing and a meal, or even wait until closer to 10am but that's what we do. Our breakfast is still closer to 8:30am (depending on when the boys get up)

I think you're probably right to juice things you know she's generally ok with. I would definitely try juicing a bit of broccoli again when you think she's ready if it's a fibre issue.  Funny about the carrots. You know, about 2 months into starting GAPS I randomly got a weird rash on my hands for about 4 days every time I peeled carrots. Then it mysteriously went away!? I just figured it was die off related, but who knows.

Fats, yes I would introduce them slow. Specifically the ones that can cause strong die off (like coconut oil).  Make sure you're getting unrefined virgin coconut oil. (there's a lot of refined, heavily processed ones that aren't good for you) Also FCLO I would introduce slowly too, since it is from a fish afterall. So far I have only given Arthur a bit of coconut oil, but I might back off until his rash calms down a bit.  I think Cold Pressed Olive Oil is probably a good call too.

Your sauerkraut sounds just fine :D That white layer and bubbles are the fermentation process.. it's normal. Yes, it smells.. lol. As long as it's completely submerged in water and theres relatively no mould you're ok. (and even if you do see a bit of mould floating in the water you can just skim it off and the actual sauerkraut/juice is fine.) The fermenting process takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

I agree with switching more of the HAF for soup stock. I keep thinking you're doing the baby 'intro' diet, but really what you're doing with Julia is moreso the regular version of intro, silly me. I would just keep up what you're doing and gradually increase the stock until you have no more HAF as NCM says.

Sleep - I'm fortunate Arthur is a good sleeper. He had some nap troubles due to a sore tummy/gas back before we started GAPS when he was around 2/3ish months, but since then he's doing really well. For him, the gas, constipation, cramps ect seem to be all gone.. it's just him tolerating any food and still somewhat abormal poops that's the main issues with him atm.

Kim - I know you have cow shares, have you done beef stock yet for Henry? How does he like it? Do you get as much fat from it as chicken stock? I'm thinking about trying beef stock instead of chicken. I still don't understand the chin/mouth/cheek rash he's getting. I mean, I guess it really could be die off, but it just gets so red as soon as he eats it and soup drips on his chin I just don't know ???

Has anyone made Coconut Milk Kefir yet? I think that's next on my list. Anyone have a good link as to where to buy Kefir starter?

After a full day of no fibre for Ds1 yesterday, today his poop was pure liquid. (it killed his cloth diaper during nap!)*sigh* I guess it's still flushing him out.  Can't wait until we get some more normal poops from him again.

I don't know how much longer I can keep food away from Arthur. I accidentally dropped a piece of avocado on the floor tonight when I was making dinner and he scooped it right up before I even noticed. Next thing I know he's sitting there gumming away ::) He kept it down though, so that's progress I suppose.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 00:33:38 am by tigerlilly905 »

tigerlilly905

« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2012, 01:59:59 am »
Ok, so Black Elderberry - I was just reading about it again in my GAPS book (pg 305) Apparently it has very high immune boosting properties and is one of the most powerful antivirals known to man.  Anyone tried it? I'm looking it up on Iherb right now...

tigerlilly905

« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:09 am »
Found this on Iherb, looks pretty good to me... http://www.iherb.com/Herb-Pharm-Black-Elderberry-Alcohol-Free-1-fl-oz-29-6-ml/10090?at=0  NCM talks about adding fresh/frozen elderberries into freshly pressed juice for detoxing and immune building purposes. I would think a few drops of this would do relatively the same thing...

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog

tigerlilly905

« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:58 am »
Going to order some right now... as soon as I'm done looking through the rest of the website! Awesome stuff!! :D Man I'm a food nerd.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2012, 03:24:37 am »
Hey Deb, do you do Kombucha?

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2012, 03:29:18 am »
Does he have ezcema too? All my respect is yours, Megan for coping with the sleepless nights. I only did the "being up every 2 hours or less" for 5 months and I was a wreck! Rebecca, how does Arthur sleep for you?

Yes, he has eczema too, but not very bad. Just small patches sometimes on his chin or cheek if I eat something his body doesn't like and sometimes small patches on his legs too. And yes, the nights are very draining :)

Megan

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2012, 09:42:47 am »
I wish we were where you are, Rebecca! What's the chicken you're using? Is is 100% organic? What are they fed with? I was thinking of trying the beef stock, like you, as Julia seems to be getting worse now that I have put the solids back into her diet. Though, the only "solid" thing is the meat. She is getting very little fibre. The veg are cooked really well in the stock and pureed and then I even add more stock to it when I feed her so it's like a very thin soup with chicken pieces in it. Could I add olive oil to this for fats?

Still, I think I have to give the no fibre a go today. Last night she was very crampy and constipated again. This is after the frothy diarrhoea at lunchtime! And this morning her ezcema is a lot worse. Really red and new patches of it, too. Wish I could call this a die off, but surely it sounds more like a reaction?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:51:03 am by bjutka1 »

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »
Hey Deb, do you do Kombucha?

I have tried making my own kombucha a number of times and every single time have grown mold that wasn't supposed to be there. that's before I became SuperMom, though, so maybe I should give it another go. LOL

tigerlilly905

« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2012, 13:01:45 pm »
Quote from: tigerlilly905 on Yesterday at 10:24:37 PMHey Deb, do you do Kombucha?I have tried making my own kombucha a number of times and every single time have grown mold that wasn't supposed to be there. that's before I became SuperMom, though, so maybe I should give it another go. LOL

LOL! I totally want to give it a try!  I think your superpowers will make the mould go away.

I wish we were where you are, Rebecca! What's the chicken you're using? Is is 100% organic? What are they fed with?

Yes, its 100% organic. I know the farmers and go their directly.  Their feed is a mix. Mostly oats, barley, split peas but it does contain some soy for added protein (organic soy, but still soy). The only other possibility with the feed is they also put in a type of yogurt for a probiotic so the chickens can have better digestion (go figure!) I was thinking perhaps if the yogurt was dairy based then that could be doing it? Not sure though... I mean that would only be trace amounts if that.  I defrosted my beef soup bones overnight and will get that stock going this morning. We'll see if it's any different.

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2012, 14:22:52 pm »
Rebecca, we haven't tried beef stock for Henry yet--I was holding out for a little while because I know some kids with dairy issues also have a hard time with beef, but I did give him a small piece of beef the other day and I think he was fine with that, so I'll probably go ahead and let him have some beef broth next time I make some.  THat is really weird about A's reaction to the broth.  Maybe the fat is too much for him to handle?
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11