Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94207 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2012, 15:16:49 pm »
Rebecca, you said somewhere you used probiotics to make yogurt? did you use them instead of a yogurt starter or did you use both? I just got a gallon of raw milk to make yogurt for Ellen. Also, is it ok to freeze half the milk to use for yogurt later or will this kill everything?

Megan

tigerlilly905

« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2012, 17:33:49 pm »
Rebecca, you said somewhere you used probiotics to make yogurt? did you use them instead of a yogurt starter or did you use both?

Yes, I used about 1 tsp of the Klaire Labs, it turned out just fine.  No yogurt starter. Once you have a batch of yogurt you can use a couple of tbsps of that for your starter for next batch.

Hummm on freezing.. I *think* it would be fine. I mean, we freeze BM for future use right? It might not be as good as fresh but it wouldn't ruin it I don't think.

Also, if you make it all into yogurt it lasts a really long time. Up to 2 months on more in the fridge. Longer its in there, the more sour it will taste, but it's not rotten.

Jealous you got raw milk. It's illegal to buy in Canada!! ::) You can produce it yourself or have it given to you on the down low by a farmer you know, but you technically can't buy it! Unreal >:(

Hummm Interesting about the beef, Kim. Do you have any sources I can read about kids w/ milk intolerances having a tough time with beef too? I think Jutka mentioned that as well but I've never read any literature about it. Geez, if Arthur can't tolerate beef broth we might have to go to fish stock. DH will HATE the smell :-\  It could be the fat, but I don't think it's that ??? and I do kinda have a hard time chalking it up to just die off. He's tolerating high doses of probiotics and the rash doesn't even flare up when he eats coconut oili (which is super detoxifying, right?) So I'm just not sure.  We're going to be doing our own chickens here in the spring so I'll know exactly what's going into those birds, but until then we have to stick with our farm...

tigerlilly905

« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2012, 17:51:50 pm »
Ok, I had a random thought, you could be right on the beef Kim and Jutka. I'm thinking back to when I first saw a bit of rash on Arthurs chin. It was around xmas when I first gave him that chunk of roast beef.  :(  My poor boy must have some severe leaky gut going on if he can't even tolerate ANY food without some sort of gut inflammation/reactions. Maybe I'll seriously have to say no to the foods component and just concentrate on EBF'ing and probiotics/supplements again. Feeling discouraged. Argh :(

tigerlilly905

« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2012, 18:44:20 pm »
Found another potentially good brand of probiotics ladies... http://www.customprobiotics.com/pricing.htm  Hypoallergenic and are GAPS legal.  I'm considering either the 6 strain formula or the Infant one... not sure.  I still have Klaire Labs to use up and I know they are helping, but what Deb said about the inulin might be causing some inflammation? I just don't know ???  Geez these supplements are getting expensive!

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2012, 19:53:01 pm »
Thanks :) a tsp of probiotics for how much milk? I was going to do probably 1/2 the gallon or so. And do you put anything at all in your broth? Could it be not the broth itself but something you add?

Megan

tigerlilly905

« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2012, 20:34:35 pm »
1 tsp per 1 litre of milk.. not sure what that is gallon wise.

Nothing added in the broth, I make it with reverse osmosis filtered water :-\

I just got off the phone with the owner of Custom Probiotics. Super nice guy. He's sending me a free sample of their infant probiotic to try. He works with GAPS patients and knew exactly what I was talking about, which was nice. He also suggested I up my own personal consumption of probiotics to a  minimum 100 bil CFUs per day as well so Arthur will get more probiotics through my milk. I'm currently taking 50 bil CFUs so I guess I'll try doubling it.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2012, 20:55:55 pm »
Rebecca, I'm also suspecting the chicken. Julia is getting worse again, really bad constipation and very smelly poo - I just can't put this down to die off. The first thing I tried after just formula was chicken and she got worse straight away. It's either the chicken or the feed of the chicken but I can't find better than 80% organic with the non organic soya.

I feel very discouraged too. For us, that would mean going back to formula only again... Is beef stock defo not a good idea?
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2012, 21:23:15 pm »
Jutka, if she is hungy I would keep trying different foods until you get something that sticks.  She knows what she wants and it's food!  I think the broth is an excellent idea to try. :) :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2012, 21:28:56 pm »
I know the GAPS diet can be super helpful but have any of you with SUPER sensitive LOs that can't tolerate any foods had them tested for EE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis)? Basically such babies are allergic to almost all foods... FPIES is similar... Just a thought in case you need to go a different route (or in addition to what you are doing)?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #294 on: January 15, 2012, 00:38:41 am »
For anyone needing to convert metric to that other one, a litre is a bit bigger than a quart, so four litres is a bit more than a gallon. :)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #295 on: January 15, 2012, 01:19:25 am »
Thanks Karen, never heard of either but I will look into it. :) Er, I googled... that scares me :-\  See, at least I can be thankful that Arthur does tolerate my BM while I"m doing GAPS.. he was having really bad reflux & costipation before I started it. Since doing this diet he's actually able to tolerate my BM and no reflux and I've never had to medicate him, so I know something is working.  I really feel the imbalance has to be in his gut, not the esophagus, but I guess it could be something to keep in mind if we get really stuck.

Thanks Deb - I was posting super quick earlier and couldn't remember the conversion for the life of me in my head! :P

I found a GAPS practitioner who is about 1.5 hrs away from us. I"m going to email her now to see what she says. Argh... here we go again.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2012, 02:18:48 am »
Oh, I forgot to say in my last post, have any of you done the ACV detox baths? Tonight was the first time I tried it. Before we've always done epsom salts or baking soda b/c the ACV we use is considerably more expensive.  Anyways, I put 1 cup of ACV in the bath and within 10 minutes Arthurs rash substancially calmed down. His cheeks looked normal again. His chin was still blotchy and his legs still had some small bumps, but after a 25 min bath the difference was quite noticable.  Very interesting.  Of course my child has to benefit from the more expensive detox bath treatment ::) Now to look for bulk discounts on ACV...

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2012, 02:27:56 am »
I'm glad that worked!  I haven't tried that.  Actually, I haven't done any detox baths with Henry.  He's only happy for a bout 5 min. in the bath, so I don't know how to keep him in long enough for it to do any good. 

(Love the foot picture!  I've been wanting to get one of all our feet for awhile now. Have to put that on my to do list)
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2012, 02:34:04 am »
Just connected with a Mom on the GAPS yahoo group. Thought I would share with you ladies what she told me.

"My now 18 mo old had similar symptoms without the reflux but with blood
and mucous in his stool. He's MUCH better now though we are dealing with excema
now so its a journey, not a destination.

Anyway, first take a deep breath. I was also really worried about my kiddo and
feeling terribly guilty etc. and really found that it was a waste of energy.
Once I channeled my concern into getting information and starting the diet,
things slowly got better. I'm not sure all of what we did here will help but
here are a couple ideas.
1. I started very slowly with probiotics, first baby biotic from the GAPS
website then BioGaia probiotic drops. I also pushed sauerkraut juice, beet
kvass early on. (He now gets 8T of skj per day and LOVES it so I say the sooner
you can start making your own, the better). I put the skj in a medicine dropper
and gave it to him throughout the day.
2. Absolutely restrict your diet. I didn't do intro b/c I was so hungry all
the time and it was not recommended by others on this list but some moms have
done so without much detox symptoms. Whatever you decide, you should stick to
healing foods: broth (unless he reacts through your milk, that I don't know
about), ferments, animal fat and organs.
3. I should also say that we did do nystatin and diflucan, not something others
here would recommend but our little guy was very uncomfortable. I only tell you
this so you have more info.
4. I gave my little one A LOT of fat. Spoonfuls of chicken fat from a roasted
chicken and that was it for meals. Jello soupy stuff from pot roast. As an
infant, I just sprinkled the fat with salt and he ate it. One of the biggest
things on the diet is getting fat in and when my guy didn't poop, if I pushed
the fat hard, he'd poop within 12 hours.
5. Last but not least, I'd start everything pretty slowly, except for your diet."

It helped me to read that.  I think the SKJ is worth a shot.  I also find it interesting that she says the animal fats relieved constipation.

I think my plan of action will be to go back to BM & probiotics for him until the rash completely clears, then perhaps try a bit of SKJ or other fermented juice.  Who knows.. that's my plan after I've been wracking my brain for a couple hours... It might change tomorrow :P

Posting as you posted Kim, do you ever go in the bath with H? The only way I can keep my boys in the bath long enough for a detox bath is if DH or I have a bath with them. I guess it helps to keep them entertained.

Thanks, I kinda love the foot pic too. It's from our NB shoot when A was 1 week old.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #299 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:09 am »
We have done a ACV detox bath with the kiddos. Thankfully both mine LOVE the tubs and I have to pry them out of it ::) It does get expensive. We used braggs ACV but have been alternating between Epsom salts and baking soda.

((((hugs)))) on your frustrations Rebecca! You will find a way through this; I just know it!

Just found out that our local butcher can get us organic beef! Yay!

I tried giving Emily some carrot juice and she wouldnt take it. I do eat bananas so I will stop eating them for a while. Somehow this will get figured out! I don't know what her deal is at night time, if it's discomfort related or what, but this girl is up at least 10 times a night :( SO frustrating!