Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94184 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #375 on: January 18, 2012, 14:29:13 pm »
My arms (especially the left one) is still so itchy and rashy today and my chin still red and itchy and a bit puffy. Sigh.

Kim, my kids always did that - think it's just an immature digestive system AND that they might not be chewing it properly (so it comes out whole). I wouldn't be concerned as long as there are no other signs.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

tigerlilly905

« Reply #376 on: January 18, 2012, 20:39:28 pm »
Well, recieved the OAT test results in the mail today. Kinda wish I hadn't b/c half of this stuff I have no idea how to interpret and I'm now googling up a storm.. wish I could have just seen these w/ my ND to ask all the questions I wanted.

Long and the short of it, Arthur's Candida/Fungus is through the roof :(  His Arabinose count (I guess that's a yeast Matabolite) *should* be under 50... his results are +243 !!! :o :o :( 

The other thing is that he's got super super low levels of any bacterial metabolites (including the benficial bacterias), so I don't think that's a good thing either.

I mean, I guess I'm not surprised, but it sucks to see it on paper without having my ND beside me here going through it all :-\

I called their office (which is closed on Wednesdays of course ::) ) Hopefully I can get in within the next week or so to see them.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #377 on: January 18, 2012, 20:45:33 pm »
Hey Eloise.. So I googled Arabinose and Yeast.. this link came up http://www.newtreatments.org/doc/WisdomExperience/45  Take a read, I think you'll find it particularily interesting, since it is directly related to B6 . In short here's what happens : Summarizing:
* Yeast produce arabinose
* Arabinose is absorbed
* Arabinose binds to proteins
* B6, Biotin and lipoic acid functions are blocked
* B6, Biotin and lipoic acid deficiency

Hummmm.... does this sound familiar to you, Eloise?

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #378 on: January 18, 2012, 20:48:51 pm »
((((((hugs)))))) That's frustrating! I hope they can further explain when you see them.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #379 on: January 18, 2012, 21:44:55 pm »
Hugs from me too! Let us know what your ND says.

Maybe have to pick up some Aquaphor tomorrow. I'm currently using Rescue Remedy cream on her hands and it helps some but not enough and it's PRICEY!

As for my rash, still there. Holistic doc wasn't much help - said she wasn't sure what it was from. Sigh. Will pick up some epsom salt tomorrow for detox baths. Wish I had a big soaking tub instead of using DD's smallish one!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

tigerlilly905

« Reply #380 on: January 19, 2012, 00:32:57 am »
Thanks for the support ladies :) I know I shouldn't worry myself with "Dr Google", but at the same time I'm just too type "A" not to start researching what I can. I found a ND website that breaksdown the components of the OAT.  Ultimately I know he's showing high Candida/Fungi levels, so at least that gives us some clarity. I was hopeful there would be at least *some* levels of good stuff going on, but it doesn't look like it :-\  I guess the probiotic we're using is aiding and then passing through, but the Candida is probably so strong still the Probiotic is not getting a chance to colonize. I guess that's another reason die off is so crutial, eh? 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #381 on: January 19, 2012, 00:43:28 am »
According to my holistic practitioner, S. Boulardi is the best probiotic in particular for fighting yeast and colonizing...

tigerlilly905

« Reply #382 on: January 19, 2012, 01:04:07 am »
Humm.. neither of his probiotics has that... does the Culturelle you use have it? Sorry, I can't remember.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2012, 01:10:10 am »
Nope - I take S. Boulardi on its own. Floraster is one brand, Klaire Labs has one too.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #384 on: January 19, 2012, 01:15:49 am »
Nice, thanks Karen... off to shop. It's a good yeast and not a bacteria, right? I think I remember reading about it a bit in the GAPS book...

tigerlilly905

« Reply #385 on: January 19, 2012, 01:22:25 am »
ohhh just read about it on the KL website.. sounds good... and its supposed to also help with allergic responses/ IgA cells - if anyone else is interested in an overview -  http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=V776-06

Thanks Karen :-*

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:45 am »
i just read through the link you sent... it sounds like something i might want to try, but Milo's IgA markers are already really high and this says it *increases* IgA... I'll have to do more research about it, but it might be something for you to look into too if Arthur's IgA markers are also high.

Megan

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2012, 02:48:27 am »
I have high IgA with regard to gluten but I don't think otherwise. Hmmmm. In any case, I'm currently taking 5 billion organisms of it twice a day.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #388 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:06 am »
Rebecca, just going back Arabinose.  I haven't heard about this, sorry.  I could easily ask on the other forums though.  If it does block b6 production, just add it to the list of many things that block b6 production, it's no biggie.  I am guessing that all of us and our kids are extremly low in b6,  B6 cannot be produced properly due to stress, I am guess all you Mummies like me are under stress - so there you have a major factor.  If kids have low levels of good bacteria and gut issues they will be very likely to have low B6 because they are having to detoxify around the clock.  The bad bacteria are putrefying all the time and releasing noxious gases etc etc  so anyone with gut trouble is going to need extra b6 just for detoxification purposes.   Now if you also have Pyroluria whihc Kai has you will have low b6 for LIFE and need to take B6 for LIFE.   I have no idea on doasges though, someone trained in nutrition science  - like my biomedical GP can advise.  

I have yeast issues and I take nystatin and a herb called Candex for it one month on one month off.   Candex kills it in the gut walls, Nystatin kills it in the gut.  I am also on a diet that does not allow it to proliferate.  With your LO being on the GAPS diet, he is on the perfect place to starve the Yeasts on slowly and surely as they won't have sugar and carbs to feed on... and the probiotics are taking up space left by the yeast.  I also take wormwood and Olive Leaf extract, both starve out yeasts and bad bacteria, a good naturopath can point you to some herbs.  All these things work slowy and surely.   I know oregano oil is excellent for starving out yeast too.  There are sooo many ways to skin a cat... so many options!!!!!
left by the yeasts.  Your son is  so lucky to have you!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:58:27 am by EloysH »

tigerlilly905

« Reply #389 on: January 19, 2012, 13:41:05 pm »
Deb, KL sells through Amazon. You don't need a special account or anything. Just ad to cart and voila :) Heres the S Boulardii http://www.amazon.com/Klaire-Labs-Saccharomyces-Boulardii-Vcaps/dp/B001PYZBPY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326979611&sr=8-1-spell   Cheapest is $23.40. I buy from Vitamin Partners thru Amazon, they are good.

Interesting Eloise, thank you for the information. :) BTW, I was rereading a section about Candida specifically in the GAPS book and came across NCM talking a little about Pyrroles.. Its only a paragraph or 2, (pg 43/44 if you have the GAPS book) She, of course, links it back to gut dysbiosis/Candida, but definitely doesn't go into much depth.  

I appreciate your thoughts RE Candida.  I suspect I must have an overgrowth as well if Arthur has it. I have read about Nystatin (again NCM mentions it in the GAPS book), but I think I would rather like to try starving the Candida out with diet/ killing it with botanicals before going to a prescription drug. I understand the prescription just suppresses the Candida and doesn't kill it, am I wrong? Like I said, I haven't really looked into that route.

Megan, RE IgA, it's my understanding that the high IgA markers means he's more prone to developing intolerances, food sensitivies, allergies (due to leaky gut allowing food proteins to pass to the blood stream) but we actually need IgA cells to build up the intestinal wall to protect us from these allergies ect. Again, I could be wrong, but that's what I thought. I know our ND said we needed to find a probiotic that would help with IgA cells (which VItal Immune also does and why he recommended it)  I have a busy morning today (library group :D) but will try and do more research later.

Oh, I forgot to mention, on a positive note, DS1 had 2 normal poops yesterday and one this morning!! :D First time in weeks! YAY!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 19:22:03 pm by tigerlilly905 »