Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94159 times)

tigerlilly905

Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 18:28:02 pm »
Don't forget bone broth!! Bone broth is to be used with each meal if possible for maximum healing :D You can also slow cook navybeans in bone broth, slow cook stewing beef in bone broth ect.. the possibilities are endless. Anywhere you use water, think bone broth! :D

Also, probiotic foods too!! Although they are to be added gradually due to strong detox/die off reactions. 

You can also sprinkle some probiotic powder on food to help aid in digestion.

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 19:38:06 pm »
Yes, we do a lot of broth too. I cook soups and stews with it but not usually beans or other vegetables. We usually just drink a cup with our meals. I take probiotics and give some to Ellen, but I don't give them to Milo yet b/c we had a horrible reaction last time I gave them...

Megan

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 22:03:05 pm »
That's great, thanks.

I think you could be right, Megan about nursing so much at night because he is not getting enough to sustain him during the day. I find that since we cut back so much on solids, Julia is waking 3 times at night for a bottle and not just her usual twice.

Thanks for all the food ideas but I think we will stick with the swede,squash and chicken for now and of course, the chicken stock. I cook her vegetables in it and also give her cups during the day to drink. Would also put about 30ml of it into each of her bottles.

What reaction did Milo have to probiotics? I'm still waiting on our Klair Labs to arrive.

Julia keeps getting these strange rashes and eczema flare ups and I really don't know if it's a die off or if she is still intolerant to something I'm giving her?? The reason why I think it's a die off is because her gut is better so I figure, is all the bad stuff coming out on her skin??? But then she also has a runny nose and noisy breathing a lot of the time. Gosh, I really hope she won't be asthmatic. And seems to be more crampy than usual... but it comes and goes :-\

Just thinking if it's a die off, it's probably best that the probiotics haven't arrived yet, with that it might be too much of a die off, iykwim.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 22:33:20 pm by bjutka1 »
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 22:38:40 pm »
I'm curious--where do all of you get the bones you're using for broth?  Just from the cuts of meat you are cooking to eat or do you stock up on bones specifically for broth?  I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up with the broth needs, and as Henry is eating more and more, I'll need more, since he and I both need to eat so much of it.  the rest of my family likes soup and beans cooked in broth, too.  I cook a whole chicken each week and make 8-12 cups of broth from that, also do a few chicken legs specifically for Henry and use that broth to make his food, and then we've done some beef broth, but my 1/8th of a cow I got only came with a couple pounds of bones, other than the few that are in the steaks, so I'm out of those except for the one marrow bone I received.  I'm wondering if I need to just order a huge batch of bones or if I'm not cooking enough meats on the bone.

Oh, and for whoever wanted some food ideas--eggplant was a HUGE hit over here.  I blend all his veggies with broth and he loved that combo, which was nice to have something besides all the orange veggies I've been giving him (pumpkin, butternut squash and carrots are all regular items).  And green veggies that are higher in calories?  I hate to waste space in his tummy on zucchini (courgettes) or green beans, and I think spinach may have bothered him.  He was spitting up more for a few days when we gave him that.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 22:43:22 pm »
I think it's a die off is because her gut is so much better so I figure, is all the bad stuff coming out on her skin??? She also has a runny nose and noisy breathing a lot of the time. Gosh, I really hope she won't be asthmatic.

This ^^^ make sense to me... Arthur also has the noisy breathing. We keep a humidifier going in his room, which I think helps.

For the probiotics, start off *really* slow. I gave Ds2 1/8 tsp once/day mixed w/ bm for 1 week. Then increased to 1/4 tsp once/day now he does 1/4 tsp 2x/day.  If Julia is really sensitive and already going through die off (which I suspect she is), the probiotic needs to be introduced slowly for sure.

Also, are you making her FF with filtered water, Jutka?  We were just talking about this on the Organic Lifestyle thread, and it could be something to consider. She may be reacting to fluoride, chlorine ect that could be in your water?  Could be worth looking into.

So today is the third day we've been giving Ds1 sauerkraut juice mixed with his morning juice.  No rash, which is good, but he had a NASTY poop today...I mean, runny, runny, runny! So I think it's clearning him out... going to keep giving him only 1/4 tsp of the juice to see where it gets us.

Posted as you posted Kim. I use the carcase from the whole chickens we buy. The chickens are quite large so I can get a really large batch out of just one.  I also buy beef bones separately from the farm.  It's worth talking to your farm to see if you can get any extra bones from them for sure. Cara from Health, home & happiness says she almost always* has bone broth on the go in a crock pot. She also says she freezes portions in Mason Jars for future use. I'm with you though, we go through SO much bone broth I don't know if I would be able to get enough to freeze :P

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 03:06:04 am »
We get our bones from the organic butcher, just ask him to cut some up.  I need to make 4L of borth per week to keep up with our families needs, basically one chicken one - whole chicken plus 1kg of chicken wings makes 3-4L of beautiful broth, then the other with lamb bones, about 2kg of bones. :) :) :)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 03:11:17 am »
Well, today at dinner we gave Ds2 his usual drumstick bone to chew on (just the bone, no meat or anything on it) He was happy enough, but REALLY wanted "real" food. So DH gave him the tiniest piece of chicken to gum. Ds2 was so pleased... then about 5 minutes later PROJECTILE vomit everywhere :(  His poor tummy. Glad we see the ND tomorrow, it really worries me he can't keep anything besides BM down at this point.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:24:36 am by tigerlilly905 »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:52 am »
Goodness Rebecca, I hope you can find some answers for that!  How alarming!

Kim, I feed James the chicken as well as the broth so a whole chicken for us made about 9-10 cups of broth as well as the broth I put in the food processor to purée the chicken.  Basically I boiled the entire chicken for the first hour and a half or so, then took the meat off of the bones and boiled the bones for another bunch of hours.  Made stock for the family with a second chicken at the same time.

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 04:36:35 am »
Oh wow Rebecca, big hugs! I'm very interested to hear what the ND comes up with, I want to hear all about it!! I guess you won't have test results for a while though, huh?

Megan

tigerlilly905

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »
Oh wow Rebecca, big hugs! I'm very interested to hear what the ND comes up with, I want to hear all about it!! I guess you won't have test results for a while though, huh?

Not sure... Sucks we're going right before xmas, you know the holidays will slow things down too... I'm sure the OAT test might take a bit. I'm bringing his morning diaper (with a HUGE nasty poop in it) for the ND to take a look at :P  Not sure if they can take a sample right from that, or if they need a more "fresh" sample.

Offline kim&savannah

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2011, 13:21:16 pm »
Good luck, Rebecca.  That is pretty upsetting that he's still at this point after how hard you've been working on this.  They can probably get the stool sample from the diaper--I know for our stool sample that the GI wanted, they just asked me to put some from a diaper into a little container and bring it in within 24 hours, I think.  He happened to poop right after we left the exam room, so I just left it there right then.

I can't remember from my other kids at what point in the solids introduction their poops became formed instead of the peanut butter type mush, but Henry's got there a couple days ago.  On the one hand, they look great and just where they should be according to the chart I found on one GAPS website, but they were coming out in little balls through out the day and night and he seemed to have to strain a little, so I've cut back on how much squash he's getting and upped his chicken and broth amounts and we're back to mush this morning.  The others were SO much easier to clean up, but we'll see if he can sleep better this way.  Anyone have any comparison--at this age, what should they be looking like?  Is he too young for formed poops still?

I think I'm making pretty concentrated stock because I only get about 2 or 2.5 quarts from each chicken (5 pound chickens).  And I can easily use a quart to make Henry's meals for the week, which doesn't leave me much for cooking soups--I would need to cook a chicken about every other day, which is just really expensive.  And I feel like I'm not eating as much broth as I should.  When everyone talks about drinking a cup of broth with their meals, etc. . . I maybe get 1 cup a day, usually in the form of a soup of some sort.  Is that enough?

our farm isn't delivering the next 2 weekends because of the holidays, but first of Jan, I'm going to order some extra bones to do more beef broth.  I need more ground beef anyway, so I'll just get a few items seperately instead of ordering another cow portion.  It takes us a lot longer to go through all the roasts and steaks.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 13:45:15 pm »
Kim, we don't have formed poops here right now.  We had ones that were somewhere between peanut butter and formed for a few days but he seemed really uncomfortable with that so I gave him some more fruit for a day or too and they're mush again.  I've been wondering if they're too mushy tbh but he seems so much happier with them this way.  The semi-solid ones were really bothering him. 

When I make chicken stock I put water in to cover the chicken plus an inch or two more and them leave it mostly covered while it cooks.

Offline kim&savannah

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 15:35:31 pm »
Erin--that's exactly how our poop was this week.  So much easier to plop out of the diaper, and they weren't super solid or anything, but he really seemed to be having a hard time getting them out, so I've upped the broth and we're back to a lot mushier (and messier) poops, but he seems to have an easier time passing them.  And I'm hoping since it was a greater quantity this a.m., he won't have to go several times today so maybe we can get a decent nap in.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 17:35:08 pm »
Let's just call it "normal" then since they're the same age.  :)
His AM one was much in the peanut butter consistency and he seemed happy enough about it.

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 18:05:13 pm »
How are you guys giving the bone broth to your LOs? Milo wants nothing at all to do with it... I've tried bottle (he threw it all up last time I tried ::) ) and syringe but he just does not want it. What is it with him flat out refusing all the things that are supposed to be the best for him on this diet: broth and egg yolk (and avocado too) ???

Megan