Author Topic: Eczema as reaction to milk?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:46 pm »
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend whose LO is having a very hard time with eczema.   :(

He's just 13 months but has had eczema all along, varying in seriousness.  It has flared up very seriously since he turned one (poor baby has it on his chest, on his face, around his eyes, which must be awful, and is having a hard time sleeping).  Mama reckons there's a link to milk, since she put him on bottles of whole milk at around 12 months.  She's cut out cheese and yoghurts but is keeping the milk due to concern about nutrients.  Semi-skimmed might cause a lesser reaction than whole milk, she thinks.

Sounds like GP has not been very helpful: recommends lots of steroid cream and doesn't entertain the idea of eczema as a reaction to milk. A dermatologist recommended Aveeno instead of the steroid cream but that didn't seem to work too well. Does anyone have any experience of eczema being caused/aggravated by milk?  If so, what milk did you substitute? 

I think any stories would be helpful to my worried friend right now so thanks in advance for your assistance.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline weaver

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »
Sorry, just noticed similar discussion below started by Charlibob which confirms a lot of families have found a link.  Would love to hear more ... and specifically...what did you substitute for the bottle of milk?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »
Katerina is allergic to dairy and soy so she is still on dairy-free formula (Nutramigen). I'm trying to see if she is ok with oatmilk so that I can eventually offer her that instead.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Eczema as reaction to milk?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 13:15:48 pm »
Yes, milk can ABSOLUTELY cause eczema!!!

There is very little in milk nutritionally that can't be found in other food sources and/or supplements if need be. Very very definitely worth trying 2 weeks off dairy at the very least.

Offline weaver

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »
My friend has switched over to goat's milk and seen an immediate improvement.  Yay!  She's going to the GP today to ask for a referral to a dietician so it's all very hopeful.  Think the BW confirmation that it could be dairy was really helpful to her, so thanks a million!