Author Topic: 4 day old refusing the breast  (Read 23314 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: 4 day old refusing the breast
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2011, 18:15:37 pm »
Yes, you're right, I'll try! I've been able to pump a lot today and have some EBM stored in the fridge (4 x 2 oz). I hope to be able to feed him only EBM for the rest of the day and tonight!

It's a great idea, I'll try to get the nap in most days and do at least one (if not two) pumping session during the night.  I think the first step is really to pump enough to get rid of the formula.

Thank you so much! xxx
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2011, 02:00:08 am »
Saw the doctor today, again he gained a lot of weight but she is not too worried about it at the moment.  She says he needs to make up for the time when he was losing quite a lot.  She prescribed domperidone, she thinks it will help to kick-start my supply because otherwise I'll never get to it since during the day he doesn't nurse a lot, so my pumping sessions help, but are not as effective since they don't come after a really good nursing session.  She said within a week I'll be able to see a difference, and then hopefully he'll be more interested in BF during the day, so the supply should come naturally after that.

Hope it works!
Elise

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2011, 10:35:52 am »
great you got the prescription.

Hugs and good luck xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2011, 14:11:49 pm »
Really hope it helps.  Keep up the fluids and rest too and don't stop cold turkey on the domperidone once you've started it :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2011, 14:22:57 pm »
A positive update this morning. I nursed DS at 10:45, 12:45 and 4:30.  At 10:45, he didn't take a bottle (but fed 2 hours later instead of 3.5 which he usually does at night).  At 12:45 he took 3 oz, but at 4:30 he only took 1 oz.  This morning though he was starving and took in 4-5 oz in addition to BF (but he didn't nurse a lot).  Not sure if it's a GS (he's 3 weeks today) or just getting used to less FF and more BM.  I felt like I already had more milk, and he was drinking really well and actively.  Hopefully, the days will get better in terms of production since this is where my bigger problem is.

Amanda thanks for the advice - the doctor did tell me to stop the domperidone gradually once my production is up and running. The good news is that since we're still early days, hopefully I can get my supply back up to good levels and then stop the domperidone!
Elise

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2011, 14:27:39 pm »
;D Good news indeed
*** Amanda ***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2011, 16:11:28 pm »
DS is really drinking well now.  Hopefully my supply will increase with the domperidone because even though he drinks well, I still need to supplement him every feed.  BUT, even if it stayed like that for a little while, I am happy with it, because he drinks well and BF is pleasant rather than being a chore or a fight with him every time.  At the end of the day, this is what I'm looking for the most, so even if I need to supplement him, I can live with it.  So I am very happy! :D

Will work on the supply, although it will be easier next week when DD is back in daycare and DH is back at work.

So all in all, good news! Thanks for the support all of you, much appreciated! xxx
Elise

Offline shivi

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2011, 20:09:02 pm »
Another great update xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2011, 21:19:34 pm »
:) :) :)

Offline ENMS

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:03 am »
So... BF is still going really well, but I still need to supplement after every feed, except for the 2-3Am one where he takes only BF.  Today I started trying to wean from FF to EBM. So he got formula at 5AM and then only EBM for all the other feedings. He got supplemented with FF before bedtime as I was not able to pump at dinnertime with all the craziness going on! It went relatively well except that in general he had a hard time settling today... staying asleep was an issue, he usually sleeps well but today was a more difficult day... he woke up often and needed resettling. I ended up letting him nap in the swing but needed to restart the music every time it stopped about every 20 min or so.  So, I am wondering if this is because he's just at that point sleepwise (4 weeks now), or if it's because he's not feeling as full as usual because he's not getting formula. Am I doing it right or should I instead mix FF and EBM for the first few days (which would allow me to give him a mix for every feed - whereas now I try to give him only EBM during the day, but likely will be FF at night).
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2012, 14:23:56 pm »
Great news! I only supplemented him with 3oz of formula yesterday, and I think I could have done without it... He got diagnosed with reflux so I am a bit confused trying to figure out exactly what he wants lately.  So I think today should be the day where we get no supplements at all!! Yay!!
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2012, 15:21:38 pm »
Amazing Elise! 
What a fabulous job you have done!!
Have you made it to the reflux board yet?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2012, 15:59:21 pm »
Yes, I've been reading along all the info there.  DD had reflux too so I am almost an expert now  :(
Elise

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2012, 16:39:31 pm »
Amazing progress hun.  You have worked so hard to get this far.  Well done you xxx

Offline shivi

« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2012, 20:00:18 pm »
yay!