Author Topic: 5mnth BF baby refusing bottle with bm - q's abt BW method  (Read 983 times)

Offline thatwouldbelovely

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5mnth BF baby refusing bottle with bm - q's abt BW method
« on: December 13, 2011, 17:43:18 pm »
Hi there,

I am trying to implement the BW method for introducing a 5 month old BF baby to taking ebm from a bottle. The BW 'solve all your problems' book suggests trying a bottle every hour and not feeding by the breast.. how long do i go on for? I started this morning with the 11oclock feed, so so far my DS has missed two feeds, constantly refusing the bottle of (freshly) pumped bm more and more vehemently each time! Lots of arching of back, turned head, clamped mouth and of course crying. Do I carry on for 24 hours as the book implies, that seems a long time for a baby to go without liquids. ? or should i just feed him his 7pm feed as normal and try another day?

Thanks for all support!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 5mnth BF baby refusing bottle with bm - q's abt BW method
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 17:54:41 pm »
I think the info in the book is a bit outdated.  i would really worry that he will become dehydrated and really that sort of cold turkey method should only be used in really serious situations (like medical reasons) and you need them taking a bottle very soon.  I would feed him now and his bedtime feed. 

There are lots of ideas on here for a much gentler way to introduce a bottle:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173309.0

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 18:13:08 pm »
Hi, thanks for your thoughts. After I read my post i just thought I cant do this any more and fed him, so I'm glad you think the same!. Thanks for the link I'll take a look now.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 18:47:03 pm »
Have you tried a bottle at the DF?   Or tried someone other than you giving it to him.

Glad you went ahead and fed him xx

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 19:02:11 pm »
No, I havent tried the DF, but my husband has had equally no luck with giving him a bottle. I might leave it now for a few weeks in hopes he'll forget his mean mummy's attempts, and my guilt of not feeding him for 7 hours has faded!

I think getting my DH to have more attempts might be the way to go, possibly the 7am feed every day as one of the weaning stories suggests. I'll report back once we start trying again!

Thanks again for thoughts.