Author Topic: Refusing bottle in preference for solids  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Lucien11

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:32 am »
Ok, the start of solids has been a dream, however my son just started to cut down on his fluid intake.  He cries to indicate hunger so I give him bottle (he drinks about 50-100ml, normally drinks 200mL) and then cries when I try to reoffer it to him.  I give him a short break but as soon as he sees the bottle approaching his mouth he crys again.  I leave the bottle, but then he starts crying again.  So I give him solids and he is happy.  I usually try the bottle again but it's an effort to get him to drink more than 20ml.  His fluid intake has reduced by nearly half.  No-one told me this would happen!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Refusing bottle in preference for solids
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 13:40:09 pm »
Hi, how old is he? Could you give us an idea of his milk/solid routine?

Offline Lucien11

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:06:58 am »
He is 6 months and 3 weeks.  His routine changes each day depending on when he wakes.  I basically offer bottle first and then food immediately after.  I've tried having an hour break inbtw bottle and solids but he cries and cries as though he is hungry.  I tried to keep food at breakfast, lunch and dinner but this morning he was grizzling so I ended up giving him some pear for morning tea.  I feel very out of my depth and have not a clue what to do.

This morning;-
6a.m. Bottle (drank 150mL);
7a.m. Food (approx. 2-3 Tbsp)
10a.m. Bottle (drank 100-150ml)
Grizzling behaviour as though hungry
10.45a.m. Food (3 icecubes of pear)
2.00p.m. Bottle (drank 180mL)
...to current time. 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 18:50:36 pm »
Does he have any digestive problems like reflux at all? Can you post a full day for us with sleep times as well as it will give us a good picture of what is going on, so

Eat - what times, how much
Activity - how long for
Sleep - what times, how long for.

To be honest though, if he has reduced his milk intake that much I would stop solids totally and get his milk back to where it was and then slowly re-introduce solids. He doesn't need much solids, until 1 solids are for tastes and textures because breast  milk or formula has all the fats and nutrients they need.

What flow teat is he on? Is he teething at all, have you tried pain meds or other teething remedy before a feed?

Laura

Offline Lucien11

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:57:19 am »
Hi Laura,
No he doesn't have any reflux.  Yes he may be teething, but the tooth that was coming through seems to have gone back down.
E - 5:30
A - 2hr 15 min - 2hr 30 mins
S - 7:30-9:00a.m (1.5hrs)

E- 9:30
A - 2.5hrs (til 11:30)
S - 11.30 - 1.00 (but the past two days he only has slept 30 mins)

E - 1:30
A - 2.5hrs
S - 3:30 - 4:15 (45mins)

E - 6:00p.m.
A -
S - 7:00p.m.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:09:13 am »
The 30 min naps are likely a sign of OT and I would suspect he is teething (even if the tooth has gone down, it could still be bothering him).  I would bet that he isn't sleeping very well at night from that tooth bothering him... I found that DD could have a tough night (without me knowing as she wasn't awake enough to call for me, just tossed and turned all night) and then take a great first nap as she was just so tired from a tough night... but her second nap would generally be OT with her normal A time as she was still a bit OT from the bad night, KWIM? 

I would medicate with ibuprofen at bedtime tonight and then see what happens tomorrow if you pull that second A time back by 15 mins.

With regards to the solids - he is eating far too much for his age, IMO.  I would cut him back to no solids for a few days to get his milk back up... then offer solids once per day for a few weeks to ensure that his milk intake stays steady.. then add another solids offering and hold there for a couple of weeks etc... most babies don't get to three meals per day until closer to 8/9 months.

The trick with solids is that milk intake should remain the same with the intro... the increase in appetite that happens as baby starts to move should be covered off with the new solids... KWIM? 

I would stick to 4 hourly bottles (offer full ones)... do solids one hour after his first bottle and let him eat whatever he wants... then bottles only for the remainder of the day.

Milk is #1 right now.  And remember that his formula has far more calories than any solids you could give at this stage... example - that 3 cubes of pear likely has less than 50 calories - the same as 2 ozs of formula.

Offline Lucien11

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:27:52 am »
Dear Lara,
OMG thank you so so so so so much!!!!!  I have cut his solids right back to 1 tablespoon a day, once a day and yes!!!! his fluid intake is basically back to normal.

I so appreciate your post.  I have been worried sick about him.  Thanks again.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 04:52:56 am »
Great news... don't limit what he gets in terms of solids unless it does start to effect his next milk feed... as long as you give a full bottle feed, then offer the solids an hour later, he should eat whatever he needs and still take a bottle on his 4 hrly routine just fine :)