Author Topic: Fruit  (Read 6426 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Fruit
« on: December 18, 2011, 15:19:50 pm »
OK, DD eats tons of fruit. Lots and lots. Crazy amounts. Its been brought to my attention on another thread that it could be causing her discomfort becuase of the fructose.(NW due to gas pain) She is already MSPI so her foods are limited as it is.  :'(

I dont really know what I want to ask, just some advice really. Wendy gave me a link to a paleo site that lists the fructose content of fruits but tbh its all really alien to me. I need talked through it!

Also any other ideas for snacks/pudding for MSPI would be fabulous.  :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Fruit
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 15:27:29 pm »
We get issues from some fruits too, so far pineapple, and anything citrus.  She doesn't digest apple, but it doesn't really seem to bother her at all when it is in her system.

We aren't soy free, so I'm not sure what to suggest for snacks as I am sure alot of the stuff we do has soy or trace soy in it.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 15:28:21 pm »
Hi, here is the thread that started me on the fructose path!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=191054.0

I used this table for foods to take out and trial

http://www.healthhype.com/nutrition-guide-for-fructose-malabsorption.html

If you think the NWs are digestive discomfort do you want to so what I did and write down on here what she has eaten for a couple of days and the symptoms? Something might jump out.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 15:36:59 pm »
Yesterday - banana with brekkie, pineapple after lunch (NW were slightly reduced last night)
Today  - banana with brekkie, pear after lunch

This is her on a waaaaaay reduced amount of fruit since I started the other thread a couple of days ago. Seriously she can eat about 5-7 pieces of fruit a day no bother. She eats alot of dried fruit for snack on the go. They mostly come out completely undigested but I dont know if thats something to worry about.

She just sits and points at the fruit bowl through all meals and altohugh she has very few words 'foo' (fruit) is her most used one atm!

I thought pears were good for digestion? Same with apples. I had a suspicion that kiwi was giving her bother a few days ago actually. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 15:48:15 pm »
They mostly come out completely undigested but I dont know if thats something to worry about.

I've been wondering that too, I mean raisins and grapes always do that to my kids, but is it normal?

Heidi

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 16:18:07 pm »
Emma I would not think that it is an allergy per se, or even an 'issue' with fructose - just a case of too much fruit. Fibre-wise, babies need

Babies/toddlers still need (in Engald) 5-a-day but what counts as one serving is much less than an adult. For babies and toddlers it is what will fit in the palm of their hand. So about 1/4 of a banana, a small piece of pineapple, a few chunks of mango, a quarter of an apple.  So if D is having a full banana that is a good portion of her daily fruit and veg requirements there.

Fibre-wise, babies need their age in years plus 5g to 10g to make up how much fibre they need. So for D that is 6-11g of fibre per day.  One banana is 3g, 1g in a handful of raisins, half of a pear is 2.5..then her breads and such, and it could just be a fibre overload.  That and more than the needed amount of vitamin C typically causes cramps and bloating and diarrhea.  So that also might be a factor - I know even now my DS can only eat half of a kiwi in one day, the combinatio of fibre and vit C in it is too much and he gets pretty soft poops.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the bowel absorbs sugar in order to work - and needs to. But too much sugar (so fructose) and it will definitely cause some digestive issues. But it doesn't mean she is intolerant/allergic, etc ... just that she is getting too much for her own system, kwim?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 16:43:59 pm »
Oh yes agree with Mashi that it isn't necessarily an allergy or intolerance. The way I see it with Olly is that sugar (fructose in this case) feeds the bad bacteria and that is turn creates the gas. By cutting back significantly reduced the gas therefore the NWs.

TBH we have never trialled melon, mango and pear. I am still too scared to go back to NWs even at 23 months!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:01:04 am »
thanks girls. i think its a case of too much too. still had pain related wakes though even on the tiny amount she had the day before.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:43:46 am »
So glad you posted this. E lives on fruit. And you're right, with a limited diet fruit is definitely easy.

I know certain fruits seem to overload E faster than others if that makes any sense. This has made me think to figure out some of the lower fibre/fructose fruits for her as she loves them and it's an easy fix for her.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:29:39 am »
What are the lower fructose fruits?

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:46:49 am »
snack ideas - bagels (of course ;) ), rice cakes, oatcakes, crackers, breadsticks; home-made muffins/cakes/biscuits etc (so you can reduce/avoid the sugar etc)

also can you just miss the banana out of her cereal, or would she not eat it?  if so, give half a banana maybe?
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:36:46 pm »
What are the lower fructose fruits?

bananas, stone fruit, berries, citrus.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 17:19:47 pm »
Not meaning to hijack a thread but seriously??? Bananas, stone fruits and citrus give E diarrhea >:(  Berries ARE a good finger food though :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 18:53:22 pm »
My ds could not eat citrus fruits, stoned fruits, berries or raw apple whe he was younger. James would have abdominal cramps, mucous filled nappies and bad eczema flares. Having said that my dd would experience loose stools and lots of wind if she ate to much fruit.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 19:00:23 pm »
She has been having a skin flare, I put it down to teeth as she's cutting two teeth. Now not sure. I know the NW aren't solely teeth related because meds dont work and when its just teeth meds work. Its also plain for me that its gas/tummy issues with the leg crunching.

So, dont know where to start really. Today she has had only nectarine and thats it. Lets see what tonight brings.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 19:03:24 pm »
Emma, what other foods is she having? Is she having wheat and eggs? Def no reation to them?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 19:07:57 pm »
She does have wheat, eggs etc and they have never caused an issue. (I dont think!) Saying that she always does better on this one type of bread and |i have in the back of my head questioned that but nothing consistant symptoms-wise kwim?

She has had a huge spurt in her appetite recently. We dropped a daytime bottle (late I know!) so I really needed to fill her up with lunch before naptime as she was used to having the milk. I kept offering fruit and she kept eating it..and eating it....and eating it. I also added an extra portion in from WU from her nap as her snack. All this on top of her usual glut just made me think it must be the fruit. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 19:11:09 pm »
I think you would know by know if she reacted to the wheat and eggs!

When Olly has a growth spurt I try and fill him up on pasta/GF bread/meats. Does she like those foods?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 19:19:14 pm »
She loves bread, absolutely loves it! i just feel bad that she gets nothing sweet kwim?

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 19:23:01 pm »
She loves bread, absolutely loves it! i just feel bad that she gets nothing sweet kwim?
as long as she likes it I don't see that as a problem, and probably a good thing - DH as a kid used to spend his pocket money on baguettes etc rather than sweets ::)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 19:27:14 pm »
Why doesn't she get anything sweet? Olly gets those Organix oaty bars and Creations has just pointd me to a recipe for them which I will try making myself - must be loads cheaper if you can use use normal oats.

Could you put a decent jam on the bread?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 19:59:25 pm »
Chew on a piece of bread or a cracker for a minute or two and you can taste the sweet as the carbs break down into sugar right in your mouth. If she's getting plenty of bread AND fruit, then overall she's getting lots of sugar. That *can* lead to gut issues if there's an imbalance of gut flora: too much yeast in there will feed on the sugars and load her up full of gas, and the poor digestion can basically lead to diarrhea as well.

I would try instead loading her up with more protein and good fats. No need to feel bad that she's not getting sweets - humans don't need nearly as much sweet stuff as they generally get. :) My girls both go bonkers for super-dark chocolate (like the 90% cacao - just got them each a bar of it for Christmas!), which has so little sugar as to be laughable, and I found some dairy-free chocolate chips with nothing but chocolate liquor and sugar and the girls are happy to get like 10 of these mini-chips that *might* equal 2 or 3 regular-sized chocolate chips.

Also, is she getting probiotics? (I forget if you've mentioned in other threads - they all run together after a while in my head LOL) They can help with overall digestion, especially if she's had antibiotics any time recently.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
Buntybear - my ds has the organix oaty bars and loves them. Please could you let me have the recipe as this would defiitely save me money.

Kelly

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:19 pm »
I would love the recipe for those oaty bars too!

She doesn't get loads of carbs, she loves bread but I limit her on it as it fills her up way too much. Like if we have soup I have to limit her to a couple of cut up tiny pieces of bread otherwise she goes nuts for the bread and doesn't eat the soup!

She does get sweet stuff - fruit! She also gets sweet rice crackers but thats about it really. We have homemade jam and I am going to make a rice pudding for her with her milk and add jam for a pudding. She just goes a bit nuts when DS is having his yoghurt after dinner and she gets nothing kwim? Who can blame her really!

Last night was a bad night for teeth so hard to tell if the cut down on fruit was effective. I will be getting some probiotics too, yet to find a shop here that sells them so will hunt online. Any recs?

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solgar-Dophilus-Powder-Infants-Children/dp/B0001VVZ0C/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IUGLW7SQ64ZX0&colid=QWNXGPUNWEPQ was about the cheapest place to get it - it was recommended on bw as it is dairy free and suitable for babies too :)  Keep it in the fridge (I only noticed it said that recently ::) )

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 13:03:21 pm »
Thanks Lucy.  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 15:14:17 pm »
The recipe is in a few places now, yesterday I linked it to the menu/ recipe ideas sticky on this board (sorry can't link it right now). Also on the 6-9 baby food ideas thread in the baby recipes bit on the FSF board!

Must be so hard on the yoghurt front. We are so lucky to be able to have soy here. Have you found the oatly cream anywhere?

Have you tried little pancakes? We have a recipe that olly can have and he loves them.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 15:15:27 pm »

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 22:11:58 pm »
Thank you x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 19:22:49 pm »
Hi, are things still good for you? Did you cut down on all fruit or specifics?

Olly had pear at nursery yesterday and then took an hour to go to sleep at BT (ended up in my bed) and then had NWs till 12. Farting like a trouper all the time!