Author Topic: milk intake for 1 year old  (Read 18007 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: milk intake for 1 year old
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2012, 20:45:55 pm »
Don't think you are bothering me for one moment!!  I truely remember the anxiety that I had over this and A was nowhere near as backed up as Cole is... this site it all about supporting each other hun and I am happy to be your sounding board!

I would think that the good consistency ones were poops that were soften by the laxatives and the watery/bits were not affected by them yet...   or it could mean that the water being drawn into his bowels has nothing to clear out :)

Suppositories work by softening the stool that is in the rectum already... anything higher up isn't affected by them... They also have a physical stimulation effect on the rectal muscles that can help them feel the sensation to push those poops out!  I haven't found that they have any effect of A's sleep so you could do it an hour or so before bedtime - this would give him time to forget the trauma too!

I'm not a huge fan of stimulant laxatives at all in general, but if Cole is that backed up that the dr wants you to use them, then I would think that early evening would be best... you don't want to give it and have him get tummy cramps while trying to sleep and then being woken by a poop... early evening would give it a chance to work (they are generally fast-acting) and then you could use his bath to help calm his tummy muscles so that he can sleep well.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2012, 20:52:46 pm »
YOu are right, this feeling of anxiety is HORRIBLE!!! I really dont want to torture him with the hospital thing.....

So he went again today, that makes twice....the second time was alot of water with bits of poop....I am not sure how to proceed now with the rest of the day....I did have her give him more of the lactulose (miralax like) medicine about an hour before he pooped....she said she could see in his face when he was going.....I just dont want to do the trauma of the supp if its not going to do anything....but I guess I just need to try tonight and see??? Otherwise, I wont know, then tomorrow if everything is the same then I know that the supp will/wont work at night....

REgarding the laxative...she advised right at BT for the medicine....maybe I should try it earlier like when I get off work?? It NEVER produces a bowel movement over the night time.....which shocks me.  He has been taking this for almost a month at BT minus about a weeks time....

How big do you think their colon is at this age?  I wonder how long its going to take him to get clear.....I will know right?? He will start pooping straight water right?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 20:56:03 pm by mjohnson33 »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2012, 21:08:59 pm »
I don't think he will poop straight water but he will be quite cranky and crampy when he is cleaned out and still getting laxatives ;)

If the stimulant doesn't make him poop overnight, then I would just give it at bedtime :)

I would try the supp tonight and see what happens...

as for the size of a colon - found this link:  http://www.ajronline.org/content/133/4/683.full.pdf

Looks like it's about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups... but he likely had poop backed up into his intestines too...

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2012, 21:17:56 pm »
Ok, I will keep an eye on him.  And give keep the stimulant at night....if he has had good BM during the day it doesnt seem to bother him at night.  Its when he doesnt go much that we have bad nights...

I will try the supp before bath time tonight, that way he can have some distractions afterwards.  :(

Yes, I am pretty sure he is backed into his intestines, the xray showed it all the way up....but sounds like he has maybe emptied his colon so far.  :)

Also, he must be feeling better b/c he is eating back to normal and for 2 days now he has taken that afternoon bottle again!!!! YAY!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 21:20:16 pm by mjohnson33 »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 21:22:36 pm »
That's so great!  Hopefully that Miralax/lactulose get things softened up in the intestines so that they can get out too!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2012, 21:28:44 pm »
Last question....so when I start to notice alot more water and less poop for a few days is it safe to say things are good??  I will still get the xray for confirmation though....

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2012, 21:31:00 pm »
Not sure actually!  I would get the x-ray :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2012, 21:32:36 pm »
Ok, thanks so much for your help.  I will let you know how things go tonight!!! :)  Cross your fingers. 

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:13 am »
So I gave him the Supp and he filled a diaper  w perfect mushy poop! What do u make of that?? Do I continue giving him a Supp for a few night? Does that cause any harm?? Today his poop went from thick and sticky first diaper to watery w little bits at second diaper to soft and must third diaper....how could it change so much in a day? ;-)

Also I wondered if too much  protein can constipated? I have backed off alot in the last week but he does love meat...I am now giving him 1 Turkey sausage link a day and about a tbsp of chicken a day...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:48 am »
I would think he is fine with that bit of meat - I would just stay away from beef and pork for now... poultry is easy to digest.

I would use the supp for another day (so total of 3 in a row) and then stop.  That's what we did with A... the ER doctor told us that there is no need to worry about using them occasionally in the future... and she was the one that prescribed the 3 in a row to clean her out after the enema...   and prescribed the Miralax too!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 14:37:30 pm »
Ok, I will do another supp tonight.  I just didnt want to do any harm by continuing to do them.  Do you know why he would be pooping clay like sticky poop in the am then the watery bits in the afternoon and then after I do the supp he goes perfect consistency??  Do you think he would have gone without the supp??  I just dont want him to get dependant on the assistance....

Then last night was a horrible night.....he tossed and turned all night and cried out....do you think the stimulant was giving him cramps??  I know the poop wasnt causing him pain b/c he did get so much out before bed.

I feel so horrible for him, this is so crazy!!! :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2012, 15:37:54 pm »
Not sure hun...when do you get the x-ray to have a look in his belly?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2012, 15:47:33 pm »
Do you think I should go ahead and get it now or wait a few more days to try and get more out?? I was going to call the dr this morning and see what they think.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2012, 20:46:08 pm »
I would check with the dr about timing of the x-ray... you don't want to do too many of them, KWIM?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2012, 20:56:00 pm »
I just talked to her and she said either tomorrow or Friday for the xray.  So thats what we will do.  The sitter said he had a great diaper this afternoon!!! Yay!!!  I hope this is working!! I am going to do one more torture of the suppository tonight unless he goes more before then. 

She also said that we can maybe change the meds after seeing the xray....but doesnt want to do anything until we see that.  I just know last night was horrible for him and I hate giving him that stupid stimulant but I also dont want him getting backed up again before he is cleaned out....such a double edged sword.