Author Topic: 5 month old gone back to 3 hourly feeding  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
5 month old gone back to 3 hourly feeding
« on: December 21, 2011, 20:38:29 pm »
the past two days my DS2 has been feeding every 3 hours and taking a decent amount, about 140mls each time (about 4 ounces) he had a growth spurt at the beginning of his 4 months but Im wondering if that was a late 3month GS and this is a late 4 month GS (hes 5 months old in 2 days)

could it be a GS or could it be that he needs to start on solids??
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 5 month old gone back to 3 hourly feeding
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 21:03:55 pm »
I wonder if he is snacking - 4oz really isn't a decent sized feed for a 5 month old. I would try and stretch him out a bit and see if you can get more oz in him. I think he's maybe taking enough to stop his hunger but not enough to last so he's not getting properly hungry and taking a proper feed. You could try a faster teat or a variflow/ y cut teat if you aren't already.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 21:12:26 pm »
I have a Y cut teat, will try that at the next feed and see what happens :) hes doing these 40min naps and wont go back to sleep until hes had a feed which is why Im feeding him at the three hour mark because just wont go back to bed, he cries like hes really hungry, but it could be the teat, i have been playing around with them a bit and will do what you suggested

thanks!
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 00:53:30 am »
well tried the Y cut teat and fed him at 4 hours, he still only took 140mls, the exact same amount. not sure whats going on, he does seem to be teething, but I thought they would eat less at teething, not more?

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:04:45 am »
When my ds turned 5 months he did the same thing for about 5 days. More or less playing with the bottle..... I think its develomental. Just ride it out. Was he sttn beforre? My ds also started to cry as he was learning to self-sooth..... You may be mistaking this as a hunger cry.
Either way ride it out a few days. And my ds is 5.5 montha now and eats 8-9 oz per bottle, 4 a day and sttn
hugs
Melissa

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 02:40:16 am »
he already sttn, hes not waking to feed more at night.

hes done the same silly pattern today as he did yesterday and its annoying. he does a 40min nap in the morning then a 2 hour nap after that (after a bottle, not falling asleep on the bottle but having a feed before bed) then a full A time and another 40min nap, and we are exactly where we were yesterday now, its been an hour since he woke up(i tried to keep him up longer but hes cranky and irritable) and its been three hours since his last feed and he will not sleep, its definitely not a self soothing cry and if i try to assist him (patting) he still wont settle either, theres nothing else but hunger to rule out and if i was to give him a feed now he would probably fall asleep after i put him down. hes never been fed to sleep and this has only happened the last few days so it cant be a prop already.

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 03:35:03 am »
Huh....im stumpad.... Just like every baby he needa to read the book! Lop just ride it out hopefully he stops snackinh soon.
Melissa

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:26:23 am »
yep im stumped too, he took about 120mls at 5pm (after 4 hours) and then i fed him again at 6pm, before bed, and he took 170mls

guess I just go with the flow a bit and see if he changes in a few days

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 18:29:58 pm »
well ive been holding him out to 4 hours and hes still taking the same amounts. yesterday there was a communication mishap and I thought he was fed at a certain time and fed him 4 hours later, turns out it was actually 6 hours from the last feed, well he still only took 140mls!

but then last night he woke at 4.30am and took 100mls, he hasnt had a night feed in about a month and he wasnt extremely hungry because he took such a small amount

what should I do?