Author Topic: 1 year old seems to have no appetite!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline lianna

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 21, 2011, 21:21:12 pm »
Hi,

My son will be 1 in a couple of weeks, and he is a healthy happy little thing, though lightweight and constant on the 7th centile.

His progression through weaning has been quite smooth, and we have mixed spoon feeding with finger foods. We gradually replaced breast feeds with formula and he's now on 100% formula milk. We have tried to be quite relaxed about it all, and keep reminding ourselves that until they're 1, everything is just practicing!

Well he is now approaching 1 and I'm starting to worry about how disinterested he is in food.

He gets 5oz of milk when he wakes up.

Breakfast will be an hour later, and he'll eat 1/2 slice of toast or a few spoonfuls of cereal, and he might eat 2 segments of tangerine or a bite of banana.

He gets a few raisins as a late morning snack.

At lunch time he will have another 5oz of milk, and he'll have a sandwich made from 1/2 slice of bread, with cheese, spread, ham etc.

He gets a few grapes (or sometimes a rusk if I feel like giving him a treat) for an afternoon snack.

Dinners are the real struggle. If I make pasta and pesto, he'll eat loads and loads of it but it's salty and I won't give him this very often. Pretty much everything else I've tried, and I've tried a lot of things, he'll only eat a few spoonfuls. He'll always manage his yoghurt afterwards though.

He gets another 5oz of milk at bedtime.

I'm worried that he isn't getting enough milk and that he isn't interested enough in other foods, but it just seems impossible to persuade him to eat stuff...

The other worry, apart from the amounts he eats, is how fussy he is! I've tried to introduce him to so much variety but there are only a handful of staples he'll eat, and they're not really ones that I want to encourage (pesto, pate etc). For fruit he'll eat banana, pear, grapes and tangerines. For veg he'll eat peas. For salad he'll eat cucumber and tomatoes. Anything else just gets lobbed over the side of his high chair tray.

Any hints or tips for how to make him more willing to eat quantity and variety would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
Lianna

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 1 year old seems to have no appetite!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:43:23 am »
He only needs 12 - 16 ozs of dairy at a year of age so no worries at all :)

I would move him to two bottles and see how that goes - just one at wake time and one at bedtime... maybe up them both to 6 ozs if you are worried :)

I think his daily menu looks fantastic!  There is a HUGE drop in appetite around a year of age... toddlers are excellent at self-regulating themselves so just be sure to offer a variety as you have and he will get exactly what he needs!

Good job momma!