Author Topic: The 24oz rule....  (Read 1172 times)

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
The 24oz rule....
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:36:02 am »
Hi all,

I've seen on a few posts recently that at 6 months when solids are introduced babies should be getting 24oz of milk+

Obviously I know all babies are different and will take more/less but I was wandering where this 24oz comes from and if its based on an average weight of baby?

xx
Carrie

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: The 24oz rule....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:16:07 am »
I don't think it's weight based, more of an "average amount". Medical guidelines seem to say that babies need a minimum of 20oz a day from 6 months once on solids and that can include the dairy in their solids. That said milk needs to be the main source of nutrition until much closer to 1, so the more liquid milk the better really. At this age most babies will be taking 24-32oz ish and then are getting hungry enough to have some solids on top of their milk. You don't want them to start dropping milk in favour of solids until they get to around 10 months then most will drop to 3 bottles a day so thier intake may drop a bit.

HTH!

Laura

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
Thanks Laura, thats a lot clearer  :-*

My DD only weighs 12lb 1oz at 7 months, she's a dinky little thing bless her and its only in past months we've introduced bottles once or twice a day but she only drinks 4 or 5 oz each time and obv not sure how much she gets from me but with the dairy in her diet we should just about be hitting the 20oz then xx
Carrie

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 20:38:44 pm »
As long as she still BF's as she was Carrie, nothing to worry about :)

The 24 ozs relates to the amount of vitamins etc in the formula and how much a baby needs on average to grow and develop properly.