Author Topic: Bottle question for 2wk5dy old--very gassy DD  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Bottle question for 2wk5dy old--very gassy DD
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 08:42:52 am »
That behaviour during feeding is very typical of reflux so that's worth keeping in mind. Keep an eye on her nappies to make sure she is getting enough so that she isn't dehydrated and take her to the Dr if you are worried about it.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 21:38:31 pm »
Not in the least bit horrified hun!  I co-slept with DD until she was 13 weeks... and there was a couple of weeks with us sleeping on the couch so I could have her on her tummy (on my chest) so she would get a good amount of sleep (she would do 8pm-3/4am at 8 weeks this way)... I was so sleep deprived that the benefits of me getting some much needed sleep to take better care of her far outweighed any risk... moms have that baby radar :)  You can be out cold and if that baby so much as snuffles, you are instantly wide awake!

Offline LarasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 03:16:18 am »
IzzyDsMama: Prior to these episodes getting this bad, she was nearly draining 2 1/2oz-3oz a bottle so in the beginning I was offering her that much. I've now dropped it to 2oz a bottle as she barely finishes it in a sitting, and I didn't want to be wasting my breast milk (whatever I pump extra I put in a freezer bag and store away).

I've been writing down when she's eating, how much she's eating and the pattern is bothersome. It is for sure practically ever 2 hours, sometimes a little longer, sometimes a lot sooner. She has averaged 1oz to 1-1/2oz a feed with 2 bigger feeds (a 3oz at 12:24am and a 2-1/2oz at 4:40pm). I'm calling the doctors tomorrow as there's no way she's getting enough to eat, and the poor darling is not sleeping soundly unless its with me. I may be going crazy, but her voice/sounds are sounding a bit hoarser to me.

Nappy wise, she's been urinating frequently (and clear--she almost peed on me today lol. No discolouration--I know what to look for due to her jaundiced at 2 days old, and I have been keeping an eye on for that) and had one really good bowel movement and 2 smaller ones.

Kara: I've been doing that the last few night--the couch sleeping. She tends to sleep much better that way. Its anything for her at this point.

Laura: Mama instinct is screaming silent-reflux at me (as it had been when I noticed her difficulties burp.) She hasn't spat up an obscene amount, just occasionally like any other baby. I have noticed when it comes to burping her I can hear the exact same noise I'd make when I'd get heartburn when I was pregnant with her-- that wet burp noise.

~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:23 am »
Heather-Lynn - I think your momma instinct is right... sounds like silent reflux to me too...

Its anything for her at this point.

Do whatever you have to do hun... I kinda miss those snuggles :)

Offline LarasMama

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:42 am »
Dr.Browns... i love thee! I had it up to my eyeballs with DDs obvious discomfort (the poor thing was up since 5am yesterday  to almost 12pm, then slept so fitfully :()and took a trip to BRU and picked up two bottles. I have to say, despite the two extra pieces to clean (which the little brush that comes with it makes it hassle-free to me) they are soo, so, so worth it. Its cut Lara's discomfort more than half, I'd even be bold enough to say she's 95% better! And I find the LO can release her gas way easier

I had also tried Ovol with one bottle and noticed a vast improvement, however I don't see it fit to give her it as I just spend the extra effort in burping her, and cycling her legs, and the gas is being released.

DD still obviously likes being a little more vertical after feedings, as well is much more comfortable on her tummy so I'm going to keep doing.

Goodness, it's so nice to have my little girl back.
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 11:42:27 am »
Glad to hear things are going well! :)

Offline Lolly

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 14:26:09 pm »
That's good news! I like simple solutions!!

Just a note about the ovol drops, I think they are the same as Infacol in the UK (simeticone?) if they are then they have a cumulative effect and need to be given with every feed for it to be working properly - we used them for a while and it did help the burps to come up easier and with less effort from us once it was working so it may be worth trying for a couple of weeks to see if it does help that bit more.

Laura

Offline LarasMama

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 14:47:42 pm »
Laura: Ovol drops are the same as Infacol, I checked the packaging. One tastes like mint, the other orange. I grabbed the Ovol because it was what was mentioned to me on the phone with my doctor. And thanks for the advice, I will take it and definitely give it a couple of weeks.

I do have a question it says on the packaging to give no more than 1.5mL a day. I gave Lara .25mL and noticed a difference which is what I will keep doing, however that math would equal out to 6 feedings a day and Lara's has started to eat every 2 hours consistently again so that would be more than 6 feedings in a 24hr period. I guess it best to follow directions and only give her 1.5mL, or did you give your LO more?

Thanks IzzyD :) I'm a happy mama
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline Lolly

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 15:36:35 pm »
I think I gave a lot more than that, DD was having 2 droppers which was the max dose BUT I'm not sure how the infacol dosing and Ovol compare. I do know though that Infacol isn't absorbed into the body which is why it is safe for tiny babies. I think you will have to be guided by the packaging and follow those guidelines, maybe give it at every other feed in that would work out.

Laura