Author Topic: Help needed for 4 hr car journey with a 14 mth old  (Read 4136 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Help needed for 4 hr car journey with a 14 mth old
« on: December 25, 2011, 00:58:40 am »
Just that really. zac is a bear in the car at the best of times....and he is used to 30mins max ::)

He is our plan so far...start our journey just before his nap, hope he sleeps a few hours when he wakes and grizzles stop for a late lunch/picnic and try to get him to have a run around.

Now here is the tricky bit....how do we keep him occupied for 2 hrs? Happy to stop along the way too..
So far we have some wiggles DVDs we can use on the ipadwith a stand that goes behind my carseat, some books and new toys he got/getting for Xmas. Music, ie singing with him and lots of snacks and water :-\
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline fireredjewel

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Help needed for 4 hr car journey with a 14 mth old
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:39:04 am »
On our 11hr drive with dd last year, who was about the same age, we had a backpack full of toys I had spirited away a week before, some new toys. Also a bag with books to go through (but she was/is really into books, might not work for everyone!), a mini photobook with pixs of all the ppl we were going to see.
I would also recommend a soft tray for the lap, make sure it is crash tested safe if u get one. Great for stopping toys being dropped.
We always saved the dvd for last resort. Always aye lunch/snacks in the car so that stops were only for playtime. Plus it kept dd1 occupied!
Hmm we also made sure to stop & play before dd1 was due to nap, helped her transition to naptime a bit better. :)
Safe driving & happy holidays!
two beautiful girls... a heritage from the lord. psalm 127:3

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 10:26:37 am »
Sara, we had a very long trip, but Alon was very small then.
I would also suggest keeping a few toys that are new to him, and maybe you have a possibility to stop on the way for a meal or a playground? Something that will take his mind off the long drive.
And most important - don't stress over it. I know, I know, it's easy to say, but I noticed that when I am stressed over these kind of things, he is stressed as well.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 18:06:20 pm »
Take lots of little snacks for him to eat - sure the journey wont be as bad as you think.  Remember to stop for a meal at his usual meal time if you need to. 
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 18:31:39 pm »
 I think you have a great plan already!  Perhaps he'll sleep for 90 minutes, then you can stop for some running around.  After he runs around for a bit, I'd get back in the car and have lunch there...that will take up another 20- minutes!  A new toy should take up some time after that....and then after that, some cheerios or other fun snack that you can keep on handing him! Blow some bubbles in the car!  :)  I'm sure that having Mom or Dad sit in the back with him is a treat too...that might make things go more smoothly!   I think you'll be ok....you have a really good plan! 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 01:57:49 am »
Yes, I agree that your plan sounds great!  At that age, it helps to be able to have either you or dh go sit in the back with him for a bit.  We used to save that as a last resort, but it would work every time.  For snacks, things that take a long time to eat are great -- we once waited out a nearly 2 hour flight delay (when we were stuck on the plane) with a container of those little puff things, she just ate them one at a time.  Something like Cheerios would work well too I would think.  :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 05:13:43 am »
thanks ladies, Z is not a sit still kind a kid...he wriggles and legs kick etc pretty much the entire time in the car and toys last 5 mins ::)
Hopefully if I plan it right and exert him before his nap (then nap in the car) and after it, he will be less restless. Got tons of snacks and will try to get his toys organised.

I had a hunt for a travel tray but not having much luck yet. There are some online but too late now for me to get them delivered (we leave on the 29th)
***Sara***

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 16:32:24 pm »

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 17:15:43 pm »
Also make sure that someone sits at the back right next to him. I would not stop for lunch, but let him have it in the car, that adds time. Especially if he is starving and lunch is served in tiny bits  ;)

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 01:33:29 am »
OH boy Sara, Good luck! M is the same way. He hates to stay still and always ends up screaming if he is kept in the car for more than an hour. Then when we take him out to go shopping or what not, he throws a bigger fit when we put him back in. I hope all these suggestions work for you! Good luck and have fun

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38:09 am »
It sounds like you have a great plan! We use food and DVD's for the most part :) You know your LO best, but I found that for us, stopping during the road trip to "stretch our legs" was a disaster. In the beginning,  when we first got into the car, my little guy was oblivious of the fact that he was going to be strapped in his seat for hours, but once we had been on the road for a bit and then tried to get him back into the seat, he knew exactly what he was in store for and he threw a HUGE fit. Settling him down after that was tough. With the trip being relatively short, I'd just push through if it were me.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:30 am »
Thanks ladies! We are off tomorrow so a bit nervous. think we are organised though and I just hope he SLEEPS in the car! :P
He is a grumpy pants getting back into the car, but can be easily distracted with food. Plus he really needs physical activity to get worn out for BT this kid!
***Sara***

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 19:48:13 pm »
He is a grumpy pants getting back into the car, but can be easily distracted with food
just keep feeding him! :P  good luck xxx
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 19:54:12 pm »
It does sound like you have it figured out well. Charlotte is in the car a lot so I'm going to invest in one of those trays I think as whatever we give her ends up thrown out. Mind you she was super cute this morning reading a book in her seat. ;D

Good luck with the journey and have a great holiday x

*Nicola*

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:34 am »
I totally wish I thought of the tray idea earlier, they look great but the only way to get in NZ is through web/trade me etc and we wouldn't get it in time. Going to order one later though...they look fab!
***Sara***

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 11:54:49 am »
How did it go Sara?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/